Author Topic: Turkish Delight from Sares  (Read 32262 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Turkish Delight from Sares
« on: December 02, 2011, 06:48:49 am »
See Sares modified version below
Please check the modifications and others comments.
Sares has asked that you don't try this until she has perfected it. See below for her request.

Turkish delight (makes about 40 large pieces)

950ml water
900g sugar
225g cornstarch (cornflour made from corn)
20mL rosewater (or whatever flavour you like)
10mL lemon juice
6.5g cream of tartar
red or pink food colour

To coat
60g cornstarch
225g pure icing sugar.

In a heavy based saucepan place 250ml water, sugar and lemon juice and heat until the mix reaches soft ball stage (about 115*C). Do not stir.

While this is happening place butterfly attachment into Thermomix bowl and add cornstarch and cream of tartar. Set time to 5 mins, temperature varoma, speed 2 and gradually add in remaining water ensuring no lumps are formed. At the end of this time it should be boiling and a thick paste should have formed (looks like clag!)

Set time to 60 mins, temperature 80, speed 2 and slowly pour in sugar syrup. In the meantime line a 20cm square tin with clingwrap. When the time is almost up (1 minute left) add rosewater and a drop of food colouring.

Quickly pour mixture into tin and smooth as fast as possible. It will set quite quickly. Allow to cool to room temperature then cover with cling film and leave to cool overnight.

Mix together coating ingredients.  Unwrap turkish delight and cut into squares. I found my knife cut through it easily with no sticking but if it starts to stick you can oil your knife. Toss pieces in coating mixture and place in an airtight container lined with greaseproof paper and sprinkled with the coating mixture.

Sorry the photo didn't copy.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:43:45 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline sares

• View Profile
    • Vegiemix
Re: Turkish Delight from Sares
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 02:27:21 am »
I've slightly changed the recipe to reduce the water content which should stop the icing sugar coating from dissolving into the turkish delight.

Here is the edited version

Turkish delight (makes about 40 large pieces)

950mL water
900g sugar
225g cornstarch (cornflour made from corn)
20mL rosewater (or whatever flavour you like)
10mL lemon juice
6.5g cream of tartar
red or pink food colour

To coat
60g cornstarch
225g pure icing sugar.

In a heavy based saucepan place 250ml water, sugar and lemon juice and heat until the mix reaches soft ball stage (about 115*C). Do not stir.

While this is happening place butterfly attachment into Thermomix bowl and add cornstarch and cream of tartar. Set time to 5 mins, temperature varoma, speed 2 and gradually add in remaining water ensuring no lumps are formed. At the end of this time it should be boiling and a thick paste should have formed (looks like clag!)

Set time to 60 mins, temperature 80, speed 2 and slowly pour in sugar syrup. In the meantime line a 20cm square tin with clingwrap. When the time is almost up (1 minute left) add rosewater and a drop of food colouring.

Quickly pour mixture into tin and smooth as fast as possible. It will set quite quickly. Allow to cool to room temperature then cover with cling film and leave to cool overnight.

Mix together coating ingredients.  Unwrap turkish delight and cut into squares. I found my knife cut through it easily with no sticking but if it starts to stick you can oil your knife. Toss pieces in coating mixture and enjoy! If you don't plan on eating straightaway i would advise not coating the pieces in the icing mixture as mine melted into the turkish delight after awhile. Just coat before serving :)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:29:08 am by sares »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:11:19 am »
Thanks Sares. I tried to remove my post above but I couldn't.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:47:15 am »
OMG DH only asked me yesterday if anyone had managed to do this!! He will be in heaven - thanks girls  :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 06:52:40 am »
Made this today and had a slight problem.  When I went to remove butterfly, at end of process,  there were lumps of 'clag' floating in theTMXbowl.   When I removed the. Butterfly 'clag' was stuck to the butterfly.  I scraped , as much as I could back into the bowl and zapped on speed 7 for 10seconds.    Then tipped into prepared tin.    It seems to be setting up OK.  Will let you know tomorrow.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 07:40:27 am »
Chookie your description of 'clag' is ever so descriptive. At least it would be tasty clag.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:29 am »
Cookie,  DH stuck his finger in and tasted it.  Said it tasted pretty good to him.    It is setting up quite well.

Offline Stimi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:54:09 am »
I failed with this recipe. I ended up with Sloppy Delight and there was a nice big lump of cornstarch in the TM when it had finished. Tasted pretty good though so I think I'll give it another go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:58:03 am »
Yikes, this reminded me I made this yesterday (or was it the day before  :-))) and have yet to cut it up.  Back later to report on it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:31:25 am »
When I made this, I had problems 3/4 of the way through the cooking.  My machine just stopped dead with an error message of 'LOAd' (not had this one before but it is listed in the manual under troubleshooting on pge 40). Of course this then wiped out the remaining time and I had to guess that there was about 15 minutes to go.  Within 2 minutes I got the same message so I decided that was it, wasn't going to cook it anymore.  I poured it into the tin and refrigerated it overnight, hoping for the best.
I have just cut it up, nice texture so obviously it did cook long enough although there are a few lumps in the mixture here and there.  Coated it with the icing sugar/cornflour mixture and then gave DH a piece for his opinion.  I'm afraid it tastes rather like firm glue, I'm not a real Turkish Delight person but I had one from a box of chocolates to compare it with and that made up my mind for me.  I'm afraid mine all ended up in the bin.  Oh well, at least I have tried it.  Sorry Sares, I have to be honest. 

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:43 am »
Don't worry Judy, you are not alone.  Wasn't popular with my Turkish Delight lovers here - so you guessed it, in the bin it went!!

Offline BARBG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:25:34 am »
I also tried this recipe and it did not thicken properly - I used wheaten cornflour and had also left the MC on so thought this could be the problem.  I put it all back in the next day and went and bought corn flour and added some of that and a bit of liquid and set it for another hour.  It was okay for about 20 minutes but then I also had the problem with the error message.  I have poured it into my mould and am hoping for the best however it is not looking good. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:13:05 am »
Welcome to the forum BARBG.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:45 am »
Hi BARBG, welcome to the forum with your first posting. Why not pop over to Introduce Yourself on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself.

Offline sares

• View Profile
    • Vegiemix
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »
I'm so sorry you all had such failures  :( I guess the recipe needs some extra tweaking.

I've never had a problem with the cornflour not incorporating properly. I made it again about a week ago and left it to cook for about 15 minutes longer to see if it made any difference and it didn't change the texture. I agree it is denser than normal turkish delight.

I have noticed that the mixture isn't going a light golden colour as it should in the time so perhaps the heat is too low. I will fiddle again when i get the chance.

Perhaps refrain from trying this recipe until it is perfected!