Author Topic: Butter Help  (Read 4464 times)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
Butter Help
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:38:00 am »
Hi all,

Today I attempted to make butter for the first time.  Unfortunately the cream I was going to use had gone off so I used a 300ml Woolworths carton that was only purchased yesterday.

I watched the Thermovixens video on Youtube that said your butter is ready when the MC starts to dance around on top of the lid.  Unfortunately after three minutes my MC was still not dancing.  The butter & buttermilk had separated but the butter was very pale & curdled looking and not the bright yellow colour in the video.

Silly me decided my cream must have been too fresh & put it on for another few minutes.  Unfortunately when the time was up, I was left with what now looks like mayonnaise.  Does anyone know exactly what I have been left with and if it can be saved?

Thanks in advance :-)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:28 am »
I have tried to watch the video asha but I can't get onto the blog at the moment. 

It's normal for the butter to look curdled and white - it's at this stage, as soon as it has separated that you stop the beating process and start the rinsing steps.  Fresh cream just takes longer that's all, it is still OK to use.  By continuing to beat it you have incorporated the whey back into to it and I'm not sure what you have ended up with as that has never happened to me. Not sure what you can do to try to save it - someone has probably been there, done that and may be able to give you the answer.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:07:00 am »
how off was the cream asha ,was it mouldy ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:12:13 am »
Asha as JD says you have incorporated the buttermilk back in and now have whipped cream , if you don't want to use it as such make some cakes or scones with it don't waste it but I don't think you will get butter now.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
Thanks all for your help.

fundj&e  - the original cream wasn't mouldy but smelt really bad.  Interestingly it wasn't used by until 28th Jan but it was a carton that I had pre-opened last week and used some out of already.  For some reason, the remainder hadn't kept, even though I had put the lid back on tightly.

On further investigation, it looks like I have a pale version of whipped butter.  It tastes very much like the whipped butter you get on top of pancakes at The Pancake Parlour or McDonalds's although it is slightly paler in colour.  I'll see if I can find something to do with it as I would hate to waste it.  Guess my homemade butter will have to wait until another day!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:50:14 am »
this butter was made with out dated cream

keep trying you will get it right
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 07:59:01 am »
I find it is best to stay near the tmx when you are making butter. As soon as you hear the machine noise change and you will hear that it now has lumps of butter in it, stop the machine
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:01 am »
Thanks cookie,

I did hear the noise change but as my MC hadn't started moving around yet, I didn't think it was ready.  Next time I'll know what to listen out for.

As it turns out I ended up using it to make a batch of EDC Icecream.  I wasn't sure how it would go but it was the best batch I have made so far...at least it didn't go to waste and that was the main thing!