Author Topic: Frozen Custard  (Read 26413 times)

Offline Dean

• View Profile
Frozen Custard
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:00:11 pm »
Frozen Custard
Number of People: 4
Recipe:
This one is dead easy.

1. Prepare custard as per the Thermomix recipe.  Plain or chocolate is best.

2. Freeze the custard in cubes

3. Place frozen custard cubes in Thermomix and blend as if making a sorbet.

4. Add your choice of extras (blueberries & choc chips is my favourite) and mix until combined

5. Add a little milk if necessary

6. Serve and enjoy

7. Make some more custard to freeze for tommorrow night  ;D  

Members' comments
Harmony - I've done this a few times now. For a really naughty treat, make a double batch (chocolate!) and when cool before freezing, whip in 100g cream, and again after freezing before serving, soooooooo yummy! Don't try adding all the cream after freezing, turns into grainy mess, must add half before freezing.

JD - Funny that this topic has come up this afternoon as I made a batch of EDC custard this morning, let it cool then added 2 x 100g containers of long life cream and a tin of passionfruit syrup.  I'm making it up as I go and when it is ready to whip up in the TMX I am going to add some frozen banana pieces.  Reading Harmony's thread, I will now add a bit more cream when I do this beating later today.   

Update - It is lovely although next time I would strain the passionfruit pulp to eliminate the seeds (I knew I didn't like the seeds so don't know what possessed me to put them all in).  Makes a huge amount of ice-cream and the only thing I don't like about a lot of home-made ice-creams is that they set so darn hard and you have to remember to take them out of the freezer well before time.

photocat - Just had to share, I made this today and mixed in some raspberries to the first lot and some home made chocolate brownie to the second lot. Oh my goodness, it was sooooo good!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:12:49 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Frozen Custard
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:17:18 pm »
mmmm our demonstrator the other night suggested this and i couldn't bleieve i hadn't thought of it! my kids are custard fiends!!! (well ok, my dh is too lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:41:02 pm »
i tried this and i had a hard time getting the custard cubes out of the ice cube tray....didnt come out as easily as water ice cubes....any tips there

Offline Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:31:42 pm »
We use soft silicon ice cube trays from Ikea which are easier but the custard was still a bit difficult to extract.  Perhaps spraying them with cooking spray beforehand would help. 

An alternative is the let the custard cool and solidify, then just put dollups on custard onto baking paper on a tray or in a container.  We do a similar thing when refreezing sorbet - put it into a shallow container and roughly divide it into blocks with the spatula so that it can be easily broken up when needed.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »
hav eyou tried the tupperware ice cube trays? the new ones with the silicone pop out bottoms that you push up to pop the cubes out? haven't tried them for custard but they work well with ice :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:54 pm »
(mine have dim sim mix in them atm but i will report back when i've got around to trying them with custard!)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:55:06 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Dean

baf65 - I use the silicone trays now (but get them from a homeware store (sorry brazen cheaper then Tupperware  ;) ), but used to very well oil (spray is good) the trays for custard, tomato puree, stock and other bits that I prepare for popping in the TMX.

The silicone trays are only about $10 at local shop (but don't have lids like Tupperware !!) - I freeze whatever & the next day pop out into bags to store longer term - so don't need a lid.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 03:07:39 am »
I've done this a few times now. For a really naughty treat, make a double batch (chocolate!) and when cool before freezing, whip in 100g cream, and again after freezing before serving, soooooooo yummy! Don't try adding all the cream after freezing, turns into grainy mess, must add half before freezing  ;D

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:13 am »
Has anyone tried churning their custard in an ice cream machine? I am wondering if this would be any good?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 04:49:56 am »
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  After all lots of icecreams are a custard before they are frozen.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 05:29:48 am »
Funny that this topic has come up this afternoon as I made a batch of EDC custard this morning, let it cool then added 2 x 100g containers of long life cream and a tin of passionfruit syrup.  I'm making it up as I go and when it is ready to whip up in the TMX I am going to add some frozen banana pieces.  Reading Harmony's thread, I will now add a bit more cream when I do this beating later today.   
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:52:25 am »
mel81q,  like cookie said ,
I don't see why it wouldn't work.  After all lots of icecreams are a custard before they are frozen.
I usually make a custard base,  and like JD add whatever I have in hand.  Cream and yogurt,  depending on how 'healthy' I want it to be.

Offline Thermo Jo (aka Jodi)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:10:27 pm »
Oh Judy, that sounds delicious!  You must tell us how it turns out. Yum!
Demonstrator in training!
Converted for life!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 11:33:30 pm »
It is lovely Jodi although next time I would strain the passionfruit pulp to eliminate the seeds (I knew I didn't like the seeds so don't know what possessed me to put them all in  :-)) :-))).  Makes a huge amount of ice-cream and the only thing I don't like about a lot of home-made ice-creams is that they set so darn hard and you have to remember to take them out of the freezer well before time. If someone has a recipe for a traditional ice-cream recipe that can simply be scooped from the container straight from the freezer I'd love to hear about it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:41 am »
Judy I always forget to to take mine out too and the last couple of lots haven't had booze in. I just shove it into the microwave. I have a large shallow container and find 1 minute on high softens the edges beautifully.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/