Author Topic: Cyndi's salt blend  (Read 16061 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cyndi's salt blend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:52:07 am »
Plenty of that down where I live but I think I'll just leave it on the beach for now :-\ :-\
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:49:27 am »
knowing what i know of cindy i'd imagine sea salt is less processed than table salt.
the seaweed flakes are full of nutrients
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Dean

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:40:08 am »
Hi Everyone,
I use kombu to make up my iodised salt.  The kombu is like leather and takes a long time to mill.  I'll try the seaweed flakes mentioned earlier next time  :)  Kombu is naturally high in iodine and apparently it is easier for our bodies utilise iodine from plant sources.  I don't know where the other iodine found in iodised salt comes from.  As for sea salt vs. normal salt - I have no idea.  As far as I'm aware, all inland salt was deposited when the continent was underwater.  Useless trivia - Himalayan salt is pink due to the trace elements it contains.  It doesn't contain iodine though.   ;)
Karen3

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 06:07:03 am »
Seaweed is a natural source of iodine and so good for you! Necessary in fact. There are new laws coming into force in OZ in October regarding the compulsory use of iodized salt in baked goods...another reason to use your own iodized salt in your own TM bread (and cakes etc). Kombu is probably the best source. Dulse is more a flavor...fish flavor for want of a better term! Kombu can be purchased at most health food outlets, dried and in a packet.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:42:14 am »
i think i bought kombu - just haven't got around to making it yet as we're still going on the herbamare ;)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:27 am »
Well, $22 later and a TM that sounded like it might explode... I decided this salt might not be so great after all! The dulse was all rubbery and just got caught around the blades, and the salt I bought was completely wrong (thought I would get it in large chunks because it was more natural and of course the TM will mill it... yeah...)

Oh well.
Row

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 03:00:19 am »
Did you get dulse flakes?

I would much prefer natural iodine than the stuff they will most likely be adding to our bread.
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 03:55:14 am »
*fishes package out of bin* Whole dulse leaf. Hmm yeah, I can't read OR follow directions!
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 05:22:13 am »
*fishes package out of bin* Whole dulse leaf. Hmm yeah, I can't read OR follow directions!

You can dry it out in the oven and break into pieces before blending
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:01 am »
I have used the rock salt int he thermo and it milled just fine and the Dulse flakes are much easier to use than the sheets .... as ... snort,...snigger....  ahemmm....you have just ...chuckle....found out ..  BWaaahahahahahahahahaha  ....  oh my eyes are tearing up and I can see the screen I am laughing so hard.

I can just see the expression on your face ..... kind of like mine EVERY bloody time I tell dearest and nearest she is wrong and I am right only to find out i was not and she was!!!   hahaha.

The issue witht he iodised salt in the bread is they are going to be using a chemically made iodine and will no doubt be the ceepest and least beneficial possible ... bakers are not going to want to spend big dollars on our health at the expense of their profits.

The Dulce flakes are a really good source af natural iodine that has not been proceessed into an unrecognisable form.

Oh dear I am still chuckling...... sorry.... but you have made a potentially miserable day for me a great one now. 
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:57:09 am »
Um, yay. I have had a very bad day and you just made it worse, but if it makes you feel better...

I'll try drying it out a bit. Our oven is weird, it practically drips, but with the door open it should be okay.
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:20 am »
sorry rowy. i'm pretty sure MCWF didn't have any flakes, i don't remember seeing any and I'd looked twice!

spanner, the salt she got wasn't rock salt, it was sea salt but in really large chunks like 1x2cm pieces lol it was very pretty! i thought it whould be fine too...
My Cooking Blog

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:57 am »
I might have to bash the salt with a hammer  :o It made one huge noise and just spun around and stuck on the blades a bit.
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 09:51:33 am »
wonder if you could drop it onto the blades through the lid when they're already turning at at least speed 6 say?
My Cooking Blog