Author Topic: Varoma steamed Corned Beef  (Read 79924 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Varoma steamed Corned Beef
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »
I made it again yesterday Dashingden - love it.  Would your little potatoes fit in the varoma tray (might have to cut them in halves).  I made parsley sauce in a mug in the microwave this time - I think I prefer parsley sauce to mustard sauce.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 06:06:55 am »
I'll have to try this one day. It may be hard to not do it in the slow cooker though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:24 pm »
its cooking now  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:54 am »
Hope you like it Uni - I'm going to be having corned beef so much more often than I have been because of this easy method and clean up afterwards.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 01:12:48 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Lellyj!  Write those reports now!  Tell it all like it is - don't hold back  Don't proof them!!  Send them home!!!  Maybe a home truth or two and a few wake up calls wouldn't hurt??  What d'you think???? LOL ;D ;D ;D

judydawn - thanks for the corned beef . . . have never cooked it (probably for the same reasons as Lellyj)  but now I'm keen to give it a shot . . . really appreciate that!  Thank you! ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:27:16 am »
just the way i like it ,thanks JD  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:05 am »
Easier than your old method Uni?

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »
 method what  method  ;D i have only made it about 3 times  :D and only for sandwiches

not sure what frank would think if i serve it for dinner  :-))

p.s i cant stop eating it  ;D

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »
Grin Grin Grin Lellyj!  Write those reports now!  Tell it all like it is - don't hold back  Don't proof them!!  Send them home!!!  Maybe a home truth or two and a few wake up calls wouldn't hurt??  What d'you think?Huh? LOL Grin Grin Grin

Ha! Ha! Goldfish, the reports have long been sent home in schoolbags, and I sobered up and wrote them in a politically correct way . . . but the temptation is there to "tell it like it is"!  Actually, I kept in pretty regular contact with the parents in question, and so I'm pretty sure they were all able to "read between the lines", but your comment sure made me smile!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 09:31:02 am »
have just made this for the second time tonight, JD . . it just gets better.  thank you so much for posting the recipe and that mustard sauce is to die for . . . . :-* :-* :-*

a quick question . . . is the stock that's left after steaming the meat usable in any way?  Could it be frozen do you think for use later?

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 10:00:25 am »
Made this last night. My piece of meat ended up knocking the lid off the Varoma dish so I had to cut it into two pieces. I also decided to make the sauce from the Swedish Meatballs (MotM cookbook) as my DD & DS like it so much - they say it is like a cheese sauce but it doesn't actually have any in it. Did a dairy free version of the sauce so that 7 yr old DD could have some too. I think that due to stopping the cooking and starting the sauce for the last 40 mins, the larger of the two pieces of meat wasn't as well cooked as the smaller one. The veggies were cooked beautifully and with the sauce on top it was a lovely meal. Thanks JD for posting the recipe as I no longer have my pressure cooker so would have had to do it on the stove top otherwise and this was so much easier for cleaning up.

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 10:26:01 am »
Did our corned beef in varoma last week - very happy with how it cooked and I'll do it again.

Thanks

Sylvia
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 11:00:31 am »
a quick question . . . is the stock that's left after steaming the meat usable in any way?  Could it be frozen do you think for use later?
I wouldn't keep it for anything goldfish.  It would be quite salty so not suitable for soup or anything in my opinion.  If anyone else has a different thought though, feel free to comment.

Nice to see you are all enjoying it, apart from it tasting good, the clean-up is so much less hassle than a big stock pot plus a dirty stove top.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:24 am »
We don't have corned beef very often , but always enjoy it when we do. I'm not sure if I could fit a big enough corn beef for us in the varoma as usually I get a really big one so there is enough for cold meat sandwiches for a couple of days as well. Maybe when some kids leave home I can do it this way (or should I say if they ever leave home) 😄
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 08:19:08 am »
Made this last week and my hubby and 2 boys loved it so have another one in for dinner tonight.  Thanks for the recipie JD.  Just wondering - I have in the past when making it the traditional way I kept any leftovers in the water it was cooked in. Can anyone let me know if this is the way it should be done or if it is ok just covered in a dish with glad wrap. Thanks