Author Topic: Mini Italian Chicken Ballotines  (Read 10126 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Mini Italian Chicken Ballotines
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:58:06 am »
Name of Recipe: Mini Italian Chicken Ballotines

Number of People: 6

Ingredients:

6 chicken thighs, preferably with skin on,
bone out (you can easily bone them yourself)
75 g day-old white bread,
cut into pieces and partly frozen
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
30 g olive oil
80 g ham, cut into chunks
80 g Pecorino cheese, cut into chunks
50 ml white wine
1 tsp salted capers, washed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:

Take chicken thighs and remove any pieces of bone.  Flatten out slightly with a rolling pin or meat mallet.  Keep aside while preparing filling.

Place bread into TM bowl and grate for 10 seconds on speed 7.  Remove to a bowl and keep aside.

Place garlic and onion into TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 7.  Add oil and sauté for 5 minutes at 100°C on speed 1. 

Add in ham and cheese and chop for 5 seconds on speed 5.

Place breadcrumbs, wine, capers, salt and pepper into bowl and blend for 30 seconds on Reverse and speed 3.

Take 6 pieces of greased aluminium foil and place the chicken fillets, skin side down, on to the foil.  Divide the filling up between the fillets and using the foil to help, roll the fillets into bonbons with the stuffing enclosed by meat.  Wrap each parcel with some plastic cling film.

Place the chicken parcels into the Varoma.  Place 700 ml water into the TM bowl and position the Varoma.  Cover and steam for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2. 

After the time has been reached, set Varoma aside still covered and leave for 5 minutes to cool before undoing the packages. 

members' comments

JD - I skinned my thighs - they were only tiny ones so didn't hold as much filling as the recipe made so I have frozen the leftovers for next time (and there will be a next time, believe me). Followed the recipe to a T. I put some tiny potatoes in the basket and some carrot, cauli and brussels sprouts on the tray and when the chicken was done, rested it whilst I cooked the vegies for another 10 minutes.  Removed the vegies and made some gravy out of some frozen stock and pan scrapings from a previous weber roast.  Ended up zapping the unwrapped chicken rolls for a minute to bring them back up to temperature.  Being thighs, a bit more cooking can't dry them out. Put some butter and parsley on the potatoes and it was an absolute gorgeous meal.   Served with a piece of garlic & herb pull- apart from the freezer.

This would be a great meal to serve up to visitors.  I'd cook the vegies for a while before putting the chicken rolls in so that it can all come together easier.  I was wondering, Thermomixer, how it would go if you actually made the chicken rolls in advance and just heating them up.  I should have kept one back and tried it but they were so delicious, we ate the lot (only did 4 and they were small).

CP - used skinless thighs. Gave the chicken a bit of a pounding and the foil a nice dose of buttering - omitted the cling wrap. Didn't wash the TM bowl after doing the stuffing mix  and added some largely diced potatoes and carrots to the basket while cooking as per JD's hint and also using butter and parsley. Made gravy out of the leftover liquid. (cooked some peas n corn in microwave) DH said 10/10 and muttered 'mouthwatering' repeatedly (read constantly) and no one was able to talk much which is taken as a good sign as well. Easy as 1, 2 , 3 and sensational. Thanks TMXR.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:09:19 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Re: Mini Italian Chicken Ballotines
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:25:06 am »
a spanish version, now an italian one and next an asian one.... Congrats!
Barbara

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:35:46 am »
Thanks for all the mains you have been posting - much appreciated!!  :-*
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:21:13 am »
Thanks Gralke & Rowyfo - just hope that it gets people thinking and using the Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:02:39 am »
We had this for a late lunch today Thermomixer and DH says to tell you it was quite nice which in his language means excellent ;D ;D
I skinned my thighs - they were only tiny ones so didn't hold as much filling as the recipe made so I have frozen the leftovers for next time (and there will be a next time, believe me). Followed the recipe to a T except I guessed where to add the breadcrumbs back in as you left that out (tutt tutt).  I put some tiny potatoes in the basket and some carrot, cauli and brussel sprouts on the tray and when the chicken was done, rested it whilst I cooked the vegies for another 10 minutes.  Removed the vegies and made some gravy out of some frozen stock and pan scrapings from a previous weber roast.  Ended up zapping the unwrapped chicken rolls for a minute to bring them back up to temperature.  Being thighs, a bit more cooking can't dry them out. Put some butter and parsley on the potatoes and it was an absolute gorgeous meal.   Served with a piece of garlic & herb pull- apart from the freezer.

This would be a great meal to serve up to visitors.  I'd cook the vegies for a while before putting the chicken rolls in so that it can all come together easier.  I was wondering, Thermomixer, how it would go if you actually made the chicken rolls in advance and just heated them up.  I should have kept one back and tried it but they were so delicious, we ate the lot (only did 4 and they were small). Only downside was they were a bit fiddly to remove from the gladwrap and alfoil - have your scissors handy ;) ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:08:28 am »
judy try using greaseproof paper inside the foil?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:18:39 am »
It wasn't the alfoil Karen, it was the plastic wrap that was difficult to remove.  When I think about it, the chicken croquettes I've done aren't wrapped in plastic so it really isn't necessary to do this.  Is it Thermomixer?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:12 pm »
Thanks JD - fixed the breadcrumb issue.

No, don't have to use the plastic wrap - just grease the alfoil.  Used to wrap in plastic when they were poached, but not needed when being steamed.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
Found the pecorino cheese in Woolworths, and used skinless thighs. Gave the chicken a bit of a pounding, and the foil a nice dose of buttering - and omitted the cling wrap. Didn't wash the TM bowl after doing the stuffing mix, and added some largely diced potatoes and carrots to the basket while cooking as per JD's hint and also using butter and parsley. Made gravy out of the leftover liquid. (cooked some peas n corn in microwave) DH said 10/10 and muttered 'mouthwatering' repeatedly (read constantly) and no one was able to talk much which is taken as a good sign as well. Easy as 1, 2 , 3 and sensational. Thanks TMXR :-* :-* :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand