Author Topic: Cutting onions in the Thermomix  (Read 35623 times)

vivacity

Cutting onions in the Thermomix
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »
Hi!

While I am still waiting for my Thermomix to arrive, I thought I'd ask a question which I hope doesn't sound too stupid ;D

A lot of recipes say that you should quarter or cut up the onions and then drop them into the TM blade to chop. Doesn't that make them taste bitter? I remember once chopping onions  in my food processor to save time and it turned out to be a big mistake. I know the TM is supposed to help the cook to save time, but if I'm supposed to fry the onions in my TM, can I instead chop them up on the cutting board and then fry them in a frying pan? Would the onions taste better then or doesn't it really make a difference? I'm also wondering the same thing about garlic.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Cutting onions in the Thermomix
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »
I find them quite sweet actually!  ;D ;D ;D
Chop everything in the THX! Just be careful not to overdo it, you can slowly move it up to speed 5 so that you don't get mush, no rush and either do it for less time or longer depending on the speed. That's the way we are taught herein Spain by the THX consultants.
For example lets say a recipe says chop for 10 seconds, speed 5. You can slowly chop on speed 3 or 4 for longer, until it looks perfect. Don't get stressed with the exact times, just by listening to the sound of the blades you will learn to hear when it is ready!
Amanda

Spain

Offline cooky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »
You know what I suffered yesterday?
I had to chop an onion, dropped it into THX and set it to speed 5 or 6, but what happened was that the onion got stuck on one specific blade and it wouldn't be released. As a result the Thermomix was rocking like a crazy thing! :o
Then I stopped to see what's going wrong and I found the guilty onion >:(
This usually doesn't happen. The onions are chopped perfectly all the times I need this to be done.

vivacity

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:43 pm »
Thanks for the information! Wow, a "rocking" Thermomix :) The tip about cutting onions at a lower speed is great. I'll just have to try it out ONCE MY THERMOMIX ARRIVES......!!!!! Oh dear, I ordered it on Saturday after a rather rushed basic introduction by a TM representative and I've been scouring the Internet for recipes ever since to pass the time.

Ms. Patient I am definitely not ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:09:24 pm »
I know what you mean about "bitter" onion mash with food processors.  The TMX doesn't do the same.  Some recipes don't chop the onions before starting to cook - check Tenina's blog - Steamoven Cooking.  They definitely aren't bitter if not overprocessed.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

vivacity

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:36:43 pm »
Ok, thanks for your help. I'll try it out once the TM arrives!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:03 pm »
i have just discovered the beauty of the slower chop and am addicted :) i always chopped everything on 6 but no more  :D ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42:49 pm »
Yes, I agree.  Mushed onions isn't for me either.  I like to see my onion in dishes so just be careful with the times in the everyday cookbook - sometimes they are far, far too long.  eg coleslaw, try it for a few seconds, check and do it longer if it isn't the texture you want and the potato cakes, do the same otherwise you just get watery mush.  The more reading of the forum you can do (it will take you many hours or days to read through everything) the better off you will be and the less disasters too.
But, be assured, you will get there.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:01 am »
The Australian book tells you to put onions, garlic etc in the bowl before chopping; the English book recommends dropping them onto the blades. Does anyone know whether one method is better than the other or why the difference?
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:54:23 am »
I was told by the Italians that the dropping in method stems back to the TM21 (old machine) where it worked better, especailly with garlic.  With the new model TM31 it is not necessary, but for small amounts of garlic/ginger/lemongrass it seems to help.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

vivacity

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I made a goulash yesterday in the TM and was really pleased with the thick sauce and the way the onions had melted during cooking. The sauce was not at all bitter and the family really gobbled the goulash up once it had been tweaked with a little more red wine, salt and paprika. So, thumbs up for chopping onions in the TM :D (I didn't drop them in, just put them in the bowl and then chopped).

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:00:59 pm »
Related onion issue: My TMX has been smelling like onions since I made a risotto last week. I always take the blades apart to wash the bowl thoroughly, in hot soapy water (I don't trust the dishwasher). Anyone else has that problem?
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 11:22:34 pm »
have you removed the seal from the lid and washed those thoroughly? (don't forget to put it back!!!)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:44 am »
have you removed the seal from the lid and washed those thoroughly? (don't forget to put it back!!!)

Yep. Every single time I use my TMX, I wash all parts separate  :-\
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:14 am »
Make the liquid detergent for washing and it will soon smell nice!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Guaranteed! And really shiny! Just like new again! ;D
Amanda

Spain