Author Topic: School lunches ... for Mum  (Read 2886 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
School lunches ... for Mum
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:07:43 am »
Hi everyone,
I am heading into my first 3 weeks of teaching placement on Monday. The freezer is full, the dinner menu is planned for the next three weeks (with one or two holes for DH to fill in), I have a few 'play-lunch' snacks in the freezer too. I am now turning my mind (and my Thermi) to lunches. My kids are mostly happy with sandwiches or wraps but I am quite convinced I may quickly get bored of that! Plus I expect to be a bit exhausted so a good lunch will go a long way to keeping me chipper.

I would like to be able to take salads or similar but am just not that familiar with many. Plus it would be good to be able to make a larger batch and freeze in portions, so that I don't have to think about it at the end of a busy day. Does anyone have any suggestions for school lunches for the teacher?

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: School lunches ... for Mum
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:13 am »
My DH takes left overs. I would take soup as most schools have a microwave you could use to heat your food or take it in a thermos
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:47:53 am »
 l have tins of tuna some times with salad if have it left over from tea or l just toast some bread and have it with a slice of cheese and tomatoe .
 also l freeze lasagna and quiche and fried rice to take to work then heat up in micowave

South West WA AUSTRALIA

mcmich

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:14:07 pm »
Chopped up fruit and yoghurt is nice for warmer days.
For cooler days homemade pies or pasta and sause.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »
If the school has a microwave try small (for whatever portion is good for you) containers of curry, stew, etc. over a base of rice.  You can make several of these and freeze - then it's just a matter of heating at lunch.  It will probably have thawed a little by lunch in any case.  I've found this works well . . good luck and enjoy the experience!! 
Tip:  Allow yourself a really good breakfast every day!  Teaching and working with children on an empty stomach and plummeting blood sugar is not good!! ;D ;D