Author Topic: Your "Show Off" TMX recipe for friends/family ?  (Read 6919 times)

Offline ELH05

• View Profile
Your "Show Off" TMX recipe for friends/family ?
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:33 am »
Hi Guys
I am a new TMX user and have told my friends and family that I have one.  So they all say, so you have to cook us something yummy in it now !!  So there are hundreds of recipes obviously for TMX, do what are the ones you do for your friends and they are impressed by ?? And don't take that much prep/ingredients/time ...

As a background, I'm seeing friends for a morning tea and sister for a light lunch.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
Re: Your "Show Off" TMX recipe for friends/family ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
I'm only new to TMX cooking as well, but I impressed my Mum, Dad and friends by making scones in the time it took them to look at the garden - approx 15 mins, start to finish including whipping cream and clean up. 

Offline Mezza39

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:54 am »
Try the carrot and coriander soup in the basic cookbook - easy to do and so quick. While everyone is licking their bowls, whip up a sorbet in the time it takes to boil the kettle - they can't fail to be impressed.

What finally convinced my DW that it was worth having was the night I got home at 5.30 and by 7.30 had soup, coq au vin and homemade bread on the table for dinner, with virtually no washing up to do (and had fed and bathed DD and DS as well!)

Offline Mezza39

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:09:54 am »
And I forgot, the one that everyone loves is ozzy_dj banana bread. I don't know how to link to the recipe so I've just cut and pasted it. This is an absolute winner, have made it half a dozen times.

Another Banana bread. converted from my original recipe

place 160g sugar in bowl wiz at spee6 2 sec
add 113g butter I use cold from the fridg  wiz about 4 sec speed 6 I peek in the top to see if it looks like creamed sugar & butter
add 3 bananas (peeled)
add 2 eggs wizz about 6 sec speed 4-5
add 1 teasp. bicarb soda + 1/2 teasp. salt + 83g plain whole wheat flour + 80 g plain flour stir speed 4 about 6-7 sec

It can optionally have nuts such as walnuts but I do not as my family prefers it without.

put into greased and paper lined loaf pan cook 40 - 50 min at 180C

Great for morning tea, lunch, dinner or just sitting in front of the TV!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:28 am »
Risotto usually impresses people if they have ever made it the old way.  You can be getting them something to drink whilst the TMX is doing all the work.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:20:55 am »
I actually like to do curries if we are having guests (in the cooler weather). Then have naan with it and perhaps a Quirky Jo banana and macadamia icecream. I have a friend who won't believe that the icecream is made from bananas and nuts despite him having watched me several times. He is a health freak and won't believe that it could taste so nice. Men :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:54:05 am »
I really like the Sticky Date pudding and caramel sauce from the EDC. Always a winner, I usually make into 12 good size muffins.

Cakes and biscuits are so quick and easy - so many on the forum that are great. To start off with, I checked how many responses and the reviews and tried cooking them. (The more pages, I knew it,would be a very good recipe).  I have been very happy with them all.

Breads and any yeast cooking are always impressive.

I have often invited friends over and don't start cooking until they arrive. Then cooked a risotto and sorbet, or red curry pumpkin soup with sefood.
Before TM I would have spent most of the day in the kitchen.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:24 am »
My little nephew loves dede's cooking, he always looks on my bench when he arrives to see what dede has on the cake coolers for him to eat. Or checks out the biscuit containers, he always knows that dede will give in to his cute little face even when no one else is allowed to touch.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
If they havent seen the fruits of the thery before, i reckon it's hard to go past the beetroot salad for impressiveness! I am off to make the sticky date puds now. I can't believe I haven't already!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:33:54 pm »
Risotto usually impresses people if they have ever made it the old way.  You can be getting them something to drink whilst the TMX is doing all the work.

Absolutely!
This is the dish that most impresses people for whom I have prepared it.  For me it was always a chore, and as a side dish took so much time and attention, standing over it and stirring, when I needed to be getting on with the other dishes, that I rarely prepare it.  And certainly never just for myself.
Now I have risotto at least once a week, if not more often.  There are so many variations that it never gets "old."
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:25 am »
Without a doubt it would be the risotto using the very best of ingredients. Nobody. Makesit and everyone loves it. It looks great and is never fail.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:39:11 am »
MY DH hates risotto, so it's not one of my show off recipes. I usually do a curry night, with all the pastes made in the TMX as well as the Naan bread and the Basmati Rice. People are pretty impressed by that.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:10 pm »
Mine are cheese sauce for macaroni/cauliflower cheese(everone has a disaster story about lumpy cheese sauce and is blown away by how easy it is in TMX) and creme brulee - a winner every time
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:48:54 am »
My husband won't eat rice.
So no risotto, fried rice for him.

Only pasta he has is lasagne.

Scones, cakes are so easy and fast to make, and dips.

Robyn
 ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 06:54:17 am »
It has to be Isi's Portuguese bread rolls. Yum.