Author Topic: Can you make yoghurt from breastmilk?  (Read 8500 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Can you make yoghurt from breastmilk?
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:00:26 pm »
Gosh, you get asked all sorts of questions when you're out and about these days.

Does anyone know about this, either in theory or from experience, and if so would you care to advise so I can pass on something to help the questioner?

THANKS. 
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can you make yoghurt from breastmilk?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:05:32 pm »
Why on earth would she wish to do this? DD just googled it and said yes you can.  :-)) :-))
Perhaps if your customer does that she may get help. The thought is rather off putting to me I'm afraid.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:07:57 pm »
wouldn't know Cecilia . . . only one way to find out - ask the person in question simply to experiment!  But surely, that would take quite an amount of breast milk!!  Theoretically, I guess there's no reason why it shouldn't work.  A young friend of mind experimented successfully with goat's milk and sheep's yogurt if that's any help.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:13:08 pm »
My guess is that she had expressed breast milk in the freezer that had taken a lot of effort to produce and hadn't been used.

Please just delete the thread.  I didn't mean it to be provocative.  I shouldn't have burdened you with it.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »
I don't think it's provocative at all Cecilia.. We all learn from questions like this. If someone is asking, then they need to have an answer :)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
yes you can.

It would be easier to keffir it then make a banana smoothie with it - but depending on the age of the babe they might not be on solids yet so no banana?

You can also make bm icecream or any other dairy thing.

If it is for a bub to get them to eat excess bm who is starting solids - what about semolina or rice milk - although the heating would destroy some of the goodness.

You have me thinking now! If I could be bothered expressing I'd do bm kefir. That would be a whole lot of amazing goodness!

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:48:37 pm »
I'm not sure why she would need help because she wants to use breast milk? It is a pretty common thing to use expressed breast milk when preparing the first solids for baby...in fact that is what is recommended by the child health nurses and even on the back of that horrid farex stuff.

I haven't tried using breastmilk to make yoghurt but I'm sure it can be done...I used expressed milk in many different foods for my little one.
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »
Thanks, everyone. 

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »
she might have heaps and want to use if up before it has been frozen for more then 3 months? I know I had litres and litres - about 15 that I just threw down the sink. Should have thought of making yogurt out of it.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 10:44:45 pm »
Wow after the effort to get all that milk stored I certainly wouldn't want it wasted. I never had enough left over when feeding my two to get up much of a stockpile.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 11:27:38 pm »
I think that is a good question Cecilia - not provocative at all.
My DIL has  a freezer full of expressed milk.  Must admit I have been thinking of ways to use it so as not to waste her efforts.  We can of course use it in baby food - never get through it all though  (But I do think I will give the yoghurt a miss).  We did try to find a breast milk bank here in Sydney but no such luck - only Queensland I think.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 04:22:11 am »
Cookie,
We've been drinking cow's milk for so long we just don't think about it. Really when you think, cow's milk is made for calves. Human milk is made for human babies, so it's the cow's milk that we should be put off by lol Just another way of looking at it !

When I fed my kids, the child health nurses used to call it liquid gold so I can understand not wanting to waste it and thinking outside the square for ways to use it. If my kids had sores or anything they used to say just put breastmilk on it and it worked.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 08:28:10 am »
Debbiebillg you and others were extremely fortunate to be able to breast feed your children/child. Sadly I couldn't as I had a rather prem baby. She has grown into a wonderful, caring and intelligent person so I am thrilled.
Naturally breast is best if it can be managed. I never dreamt that I would have a prem baby and not be able to breast feed.
I haven't heard of using breast milk on sores etc but as you say it works so that is great.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 01:02:32 pm »
Never waste hard earned/expressed breast milk I'd say!!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Can you make yoghurt from breastmilk?
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 01:15:06 pm »
Sadly I couldn't as I had a rather prem baby. She has grown into a wonderful, caring and intelligent person so I am thrilled.
Naturally breast is best if it can be managed. I never dreamt that I would have a prem baby and not be able to breast feed.
I know how you feel Cookie, I never dreamed I'd have a premmie either & formula was the best option for her at the time too :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/