Author Topic: Dry July 2013 - anyone jumping on the wagon this year  (Read 6878 times)

Offline ~Vanessa~

• View Profile
Dry July 2013 - anyone jumping on the wagon this year
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:35 am »
After saying for the last couple of years..."next year I'll do Dry July" I have finally signed up...... now comes the hard part of telling others that I'm doing it, and sticking to it.

Although I wouldn't consider myself a huge drinker, weekends are very rarely alcohol free, and quite a few more than the 2 standard drinks you are supposed to limit yourself to.

My other half is a Tradie, so drinking alcohol is part of our normal "almost everyday" life. Every six weeks he is on call for a week at a time, so we have been doing 7 days straight (including the weekend) with no alcohol for those weeks, but you would think that some one had cut off his oxygen supply for most of those days. I think i mentioned doing it a while back and I don't expect him to join me at all, so maybe that will make it harder, but I am determined to see the month through......and hopefully raise money for adult cancer care at the same time.

I'm thinking of all the things I could get done around the house because I will have all that extra time, and with both hands free, no need to juggle the beer or wine glass while trying to hang the washing.

My sleep which will hopefully be much more restful, no toxic hangover or "slow" mornings.

So who is joining me on this challenge (or maybe not so much of a challenge for some)?
Lets share our achievements and challenges together

And if anyone feels like giving me that little bit more incentive to stay with this, donations can be made at http://au.dryjuly.com/profile/vanessahenley
Vanessa - Adelaide, South Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dry July 2013 - anyone jumping on the wagon this year
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:25 am »
Vanessa I think that is a wonderful idea. I think Wonder may have done it last year.
I am happy to do it but as I rarely have a drink it would be dumb. In fact I had 3 glasses last Wednesday and a couple of glasses of port in the month before and that is about all I have had since Christmas.
I wish my brother would do it though. I'll try and be brave and suggest it. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:26 am »
Good on you Vanessa.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:02:48 pm »
Good luck with your challenge Vanessa. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
I probably should do it. Every day drinking lots of wine - all home made and no additives so no hangover. Sometimes I wonder if there is much alcohol in it cos you don't get that drunk either (or maybe I just don't know it)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:10 pm »
I think I might jump on board. I get a fairly minor asthma cough and have a suspicion it is worse after a glass or two of wine! So will give this a go and if It helps, I might have to give up altogether!!   :o
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 12:28:05 am »
All the best Vanessa it's for a great cause and your body will also thank you. As cookie mentioned I did it last year and I found it much easier than I thought. I'm a moderate drinker and drink way more than 2 standard drinks on the weekend, but now try limiting the mid week alcohol (unless we go out). I found people were very supportive and I stocked up on sparkling mineral water to have in a wine glass which tricked me into thinking I was having a glass of bubbly!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 03:37:27 am »
Good for you Vanessa, not I won't be going you I love my glass of wine each night, at my age enjoy everything you can..... ;)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:44 am »
I'm with Aussie Brenda :) but I am trying to stick to two wine free days a week. 
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:47:42 am »
Good on you Vanessa.

I dont think I could actually do a whole month without a glass of wine.

Does this include no cooking with alcohol?

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:21:36 am »
I thought it would be much harder than it was, but it's for such a great cause and I had the added incentive of my brother passing away from Cancer on the first day of the challenge, so while he thought it was a stupid idea it did spur me on to make sure I kept to it.

You are able to have a drink if you get people to donate a free pass to you but I felt that was cheating so just accepted the donations and didn't use the free pass that came with them.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57:28 am »
Good for you Vanessa.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »
No that sounds like a good idea!  not for me though Im doing a 50 things in 50 days which starts mid July, maybe next year!!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »
My DH kept suggesting that we do this, and I always resisted until last year. He gave in after a week or so and started drinking again, but I managed to finish the month. As Wonder said, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I did have some friends try and get me to have a glass or two, but I stayed strong. I'm not going to do it this year as I'm going on a weekend cruise in July with some girlfriends and I'm sure that there will be a few drinks involved ;D
Good luck!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:20 am »
Good Luck Vanessa!
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job