Author Topic: Prawn Linguini  (Read 21215 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Prawn Linguini
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:02 pm »
Prawn Linguini

Serves 2-3

This is based on the Linguini with Squid recipe from the tmx Seafood Cookbook.

Ingredients:
60g Oil
50g Breadcrumbs
50g Onion
1 Red Chilli
1 can peeled tomatoes
750g water
2 tbsp TM Vegetable Stock Concentrate
300g linguini
300g green prawn meat
(I use large green prawns, shelled, deveined and cut in half - you will need at least 500gs before shelling etc).

Method:
Place 30g oil into bowl and cook for 3 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 1.
Add breadcrumbs and toast for 2 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 3. Remove and set aside.

Into unwashed bowl place onion and chilli and chop for 6 seconds on speed 6.
Add remaining oil and saute for 3 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 1.
Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes at 100 degrees on reverse, soft speed.
Add water and stock and cook for 10 minutes at 100 degrees on reverse, soft speed.
Add pasta (breaking in half) and cook for 10 minutes at 100 degrees on reverse, soft speed, adding the prawn meat for the last five minutes of cooking.
Sprinkle with breadcrumbs before serving.

Enjoy!

Note: Push pasta down with spatula during cooking and give it 2 or 3 little bursts at reverse speed 3 during the cooking time to ensure it is mixing in well with the sauce.

members' comments
rowi - I made the prawn linguini last night, and it turned out delicious!  Thank you for the recipe.

sueh - Thanks Chelsea. May family really appreciated your recipe. We came home soaked after a very wet walk and all agreed we wanted prawns and pasta. It was so easy and we enjoyed the meal. We might add some more prawns next time as my family love them and there just didn't seem that many to go around. The amount of pasta is just perfect for the four of us and we had 2 small lunch time serves left over for the freezer.

Mum to Four - Thank you for the recipe - one son had three helpings, husband had more and quote "this is the best meal I've had in a long time" and that was from someone who thinks prawns are over-rated. Guess we'll be having it again!

Tocco - Did this last week but without the breadcrumbs. Enjoyed.

JD - Thanks for the recipe Chelsea.  We had it for tea last night but I'd been rushed off my feet and hadn't checked the pantry for all ingredients.  No spaghetti or linguini so I used soba noodles instead, less liquid because they don't seem to take up as much as normal pasta and it only needed 5 minutes, added the prawns with 2 minutes to go as they were not the normal large size I buy.  DH had said not to serve him up a big meal but I didn't listen to him as I know how much he loves anything with prawns in - he ate it all, no complaints and really enjoyed it. I also did not do the breadcrumb topping.

Shazzy - Made this tonight and we all really enjoyed it. I was to lazy to peel prawns so brought already shelled garlic prawns and didn't have any vege stock paste so used a stock cube. Also didn't make the bread crumbs.  Will definitely make again. Thanks Chelsea.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:28:14 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Prawn Linguini
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:26 pm »
Thanks Chelsea - just be careful with how much goes into the TM bowl.

500g of linguini, 1000g water and 500g prawn meat plus 400g of tomatoes and oil and onion may tip the balance.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:37:38 am »
Thanks Chelsea - just be careful with how much goes into the TM bowl.

500g of linguini, 1000g water and 500g prawn meat plus 400g of tomatoes and oil and onion may tip the balance.

Those amounts are in the seafood recipe book - I don't do that much though.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:39:11 am »
LOL - thanks Chelsea - I have never tried it - wonder if anybody has followed the recipe in the book.  ???

I suspect once that pasta starts to swell it would be very interesting indeed - any volunteers?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:49:19 am »
My lid leaks so I'm not going to volunteer to try it.  I'm getting a new seal soon though.  :)

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »
I often wnder if the original recipes used fresh pasta rather than dried as I always find the pasta quantities too high for the liquid and usually cut the pasta quantities by at least a third. I do like my pasta very saucy though to be fair. The EDC quantities were all a bit off - they should really give all of us a free copy of the new version!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:17:06 pm »
Someone has finally said what I have been thinking all along :D :D :D   Don't like our chances though  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:10:10 pm »
FAT CHANCE !!!!!! - enter the recipe competitions and get a new book !!  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:43 pm »
What's the latest recipe comp Thermomixer - I haven't seen anything.  BTW was that you who won something for the Chermula Chicken recipe a while back.  I have all the ingredients to make that one later in the week. If it is yours, can you post it on the forum as I had to write it all out by hand as I didn't want pages and pages of other stuff off the Thermomix site.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 12:53:06 pm »
Thought that I had replied to this one - I will post the Chermoula recipe here.

The next competition is seasonal dishes.  Think it ends next week - will check.  There was something from Tenina recently.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 01:52:15 pm »
Didn't realise there was another competition on.  Don't go over to the Thermomix site very often as this forum keeps me busy enough but wish someone would let us know about these comps on here. (Isn't that what the Thermomix news thread is for?)

Offline Rowi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »
Hi, Chelsea.

I made the prawn linguini last night, and it turned out delicious!  Thank you for the recipe.
I got my Thermomix in Spain and therefore don't have the recipe book with the original recipe you referred to, so I have a few questions/comments for you and the other forum users. 

1.  How much pasta was I supposed to use? I guessed and put in 300 g.  I used spaghetti as I didn't have any linguini at home. 

2.  I didn't know how to make the Vegetable Stock Concentrate you mentioned as that isn't in the basic Spanish cookbook.  So I just went ahead and put in some concentrated organic chicken stock you can buy here in the US at the warehouse store Costco.  Seemed to work fine.

3.  Regarding the breadcrumbs, once they were cooked and set aside, I wasn't sure what to do with them.  Do they go over the top of the pasta as a garnish?  Well, that's what I guessed.  We actually preferred the pasta without the breadcrumbs, and, since that makes it lower in fat, it was a better plan for us.

4.  Do you use whole peeled tomatoes?  I tried whole ones but thought that it would have been better to chop them up in the TX first so that they would disperse more throughout the pasta. 

5.  The pasta I used (spaghetti noodles) needed 5 more minutes.  I also found that it needed stirring a few times so that the top layer would get under the liquid and cook enough. 

I made the recipe with your amounts, and it was full to the top.  I can't imagine adding any more water, pasta, etc., so I think the recipe book was wrong in that suggestion.  I also wanted to say that it made a lot of pasta - enough to serve 4-5 people. 

Thanks again for the great recipe!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 03:22:44 am »
Hi Rowi,

Glad you liked it.

I corrected the breadcrumbs and pasta amount.  Whenever I cook pasta and a sauce in the TMX I give it little bursts on reverse speed 3 every couple of minutes (and sometimes push the pasta down with my spatula) to ensure that the pasta is cooking and not sitting in a layer on top and this reduces the cooking time.  I might put that in the recipe actually. Whole tomatoes or diced would probably be a personal preference.  They get a bit chopped up when cooked for that long anyway, but it is up to you.  There is a vegie stock recipe on the forum I think - but chicken stock would probably be just as nice anyway.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 05:48:03 am »
Rowi here is the link to a Spanish vegetable stock concentrate put on the forum by Bron.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=836.0

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 11:27:14 am »
Thanks Chelsea. May family really appreciated your recipe. We came home soaked after a very wet walk and all agreed we wanted prawns and pasta. It was so easy and we enjoyed the meal. We might add some more prawns next time as my family love them and there just didn't seem that many to go around. The reduced amount of pasta is just perfect for the four of us and we had 2 small lunch time serves left over for the freezer.
Sue from North Queensland