Author Topic: Vegan for a month  (Read 21410 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Vegan for a month
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 08:22:17 am »
I found out about this new website that a friend of a friend had just launched and immediately thought of you all who have participated in this thread. It looks really good. I have no intention to become vegan, but will certainly be using many of the yummy recipes :)
http://plantplate.com/Recipe/Detail?recipeID=10
Hope you find it inspiring :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Vegan for a month
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 06:42:32 am »
Your information re protein in animal products isn't quite correct. I've been studying proteins as a part of my Nutrition unit. This is what I've learned:

Animal protein is complete with all the essential amino acids required by the body daily. Only amaranth, quinoa and soy contain almost all the essential amino acids. Of course, you can obtain complete protein in your diet by combining grains and legumes carefully every day.

Animal protein is the most readily digested by the body (90 to 99%), whereas plant proteins are less digestible (70 - 90% for most, but more than 90% for soy and legumes). In general, plant proteins are lower quality than animal proteins and plants offer less protein per weight of food.

However, vegetarians can obtain all the amino acids over the course of the day as long as the diet is varied. However, it is more difficult for vegans if eggs and dairy aren't consumed. One of the most vital of vitamins is also only available in animal products, Vitamin B12. Some cereals are fortified with B12. A deficiency results in pernicious anaemia as well as general anaemia and a host of other conditions. Folate is also dependent on adequate dietary B12.

It's not as simple as it seems. Vegetarians who include eggs and dairy are far better off than vegans when it comes to a balanced diet. Dairy doesn't have to be milk. Hard cheeses, cream and butter and of course, yoghurt can be a part of the dairy intake. Eggs are nature's wonder food and should also be included.

Animal protein doesn't have to be a slab of steak. Fish is important in our diets as well. A high (good) fat diet will help you lose weight and feel better as long as starches and simple sugars are reduced as well.

Okay, I'll hop off my little soap box now! My family are calling me the Nutrition Nazi!  ;D

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »
McMich, a good vegetarian diet isn't a problem, but strict vegan can be. We often eat vegetarian and vegan, but we eat a varied diet.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 03:49:14 am »
All I know is that we never felt so good as when we were eating no animal products.
I found this article interesting. It does state that animal proteins are readily digested, so I will have to stand corrected about my previous idea that animal protein isn't really digested, I will look into where I read it and query it with them.
Anyway have a read, it's very interesting. And don't forget that horses and gorillas get all their protein from plant products and I wouldn't call them nutritionally deprived.
http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html#sthash.ajeEXZdq.dpbs

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 04:04:13 am »
My DD was a vegetarian for a number of years but since studying nutrition at university and becoming a nutrionist she now includes all meats and fish in her diet. She still eats some non meat/seafood meals as do her husband and 4 children and overall enjoy a healthy balanced diet.  My DH and I usually have a couple of vegetarian meals each week but enjoy our meat and fish too much to be totally vegetarian. I could never be vegan.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 07:05:04 am »
Sometimes removing dairy products will make people feel much better. A lot of people are intolerant to either the casein or to the lactose in milk. I think a balanced diet should include a little animal protein, a lot of vegetable protein, some grains (prepared properly - soaked, fermented or sprouted if possible) and plenty of good fats, including animal fats.

I don't like diets that remove an entire food group. Humans are omnivores and our digestive systems are designed to manage all types of foods, unlike gorillas and horses.

The issue of poor digestion and assimilation often comes about when we eat foods that haven't been prepared correctly or that are highly processed. There's nothing wrong with going vegan for a month. It can be quite de-toxing, just as eating raw for a week can be. But, all my studies indicate that it isn't good to continue such a diet. Perhaps it lowers the incidence of bowel cancer, but so does a good omnivorous healthy diet. Unfortunately, not too many people understand what this actually entails!

All of us here do, as we create meals from scratch with our Thermies, not relying on packaged, take away and processed foods.

MF, I can totally appreciate your DD's change of diet. The more I learn about our body and how amazing it is, the more I'm so careful about what I put in my mouth.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 02:31:57 pm »
I checked out one of the references that Michael Bluejay used and it actually stated the opposite of what his article was all about, so I'm not sure I'd use his website for nutritional information!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:51 pm »
MJ I am sure we could all do with better nutritional advice, and it is great that you so enjoy your studies.
Do you have time to start a thread and post articles from time to time?
Thanks for explaining things on here.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
DJ, I'm no expert, simply learning! But, happy to post now and then as I learn more.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Vegan for a month
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »
I checked out one of the references that Michael Bluejay used and it actually stated the opposite of what his article was all about, so I'm not sure I'd use his website for nutritional information!
Which was this MJ?
Did you not find the article thought-provoking? What is it about meat/animal products that vegetables cannot provide? (This is a genuine question)
I like your use of the word "designed" though.
Here's another article:
http://www.vega-licious.com/where-do-you-get-protein-vegan-part-i/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 06:32:39 am »
I read the first linked article that he used as a reference. I think it was the WHO one. About halfway through, the article states that animal protein is higher quality than vegetable protein.

I'm not ever saying that one should be eaten over the other. Vegetable and animal proteins complement each other. What I am saying is that we shouldn't remove a complete food group from our diets. Animal protein doesn't need to be red meat. Eggs, Fish and Dairy product all provide excellent sources of protein, plus added fat soluble vitamins and a host of other important nutrients.

We should all be including more vegetable protein in our diets - legumes, sea vegetables especially.
The Bush Gourmand

mcmich

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 06:44:56 am »
What do you mean by sea vegetables Megan?

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Vegan for a month
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 09:40:32 am »
I'm not ever saying that one should be eaten over the other. Vegetable and animal proteins complement each other. What I am saying is that we shouldn't remove a complete food group from our diets. Animal protein doesn't need to be red meat. Eggs, Fish and Dairy product all provide excellent sources of protein, plus added fat soluble vitamins

But why eat the animal products at all if vegetable sources meet the requirements of the body?
I have been wrong before so someone else might have to back up this claim, but when a friend was diagnosed with cancer, the first thing he had to do was cut out processed sugar and animal products. He was told that animal products hinder the body's fighting mechanism against cancer. Anyone else heard of this?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 05:51:06 am »
Sea Vegetables = kombi, nori etc.

There are certain nutrients that are only available in animal products - eg. Vitamin D is only found in animal products (and, of course sunshine, but with the slip, slop, slap and depending where you live, many people don't get enough Vitamin D from sunshine). The best sources of all of the B vitamins are animal products. Vegetarians can obtain from fortified cereals, but it isn't as bioavailable. I've attached some charts showing quantity per kcal for three of the most important B vitamins.

It's not all about protein, these animal products have other nutrients in higher quantities per kcal than vegetables. Vegetable sources do not meet all the nutrient requirements of the body. You may be able to get all the protein you need by combining vegetarian sources carefully, but you will be missing out on other nutrients unless you eat fortified foods or take supplements, which many vegans and vegetarians have to do.

Edited to add:
Only one of the charts attached, so I'll try again when I have better internet speed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:54:22 am by meganjane »
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Emily Mum of 4

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 03:19:01 am »
Thanks MJ!  :-)