Author Topic: Not exactly a thermo question, but could I ask for some recipe help? (please)  (Read 4559 times)

Offline medusa

• View Profile
my son loves loves loves corn dogs after a trip to the US a few years ago.  I thought I would try and recreate them for him and came across this recipe via the pioneer woman site http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/10/classic-corn-dogs-and-cheese-on-a-stick/ but have no idea what to substitute the ■6 cups Krusteaz Pancake Mix for. I googled it and came across their website http://www.krusteaz.com/pancake-and-waffle-mixes-products-46/original-pancake-mix-1047#!ingredientstab but upon looking at the ingredients it is full of stuff I wouldn't want to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Krit (medusa is just the username)
Medusa, in Oz

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Krit, have a look at this thread and scroll down to the recipe JulieO posted of Nigella's where you prepare all the dry ingredients and just keep them in a container until you are ready to make pancakes. It is then just a matter of adding the wet ingredients.  Is this suitable do you think?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:54:23 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline medusa

• View Profile
Thank you Judy, you are so giving, always the first to answer any question.  I can't imagine this forum without you xxx
Medusa, in Oz

Offline medusa

• View Profile
That looks like it might work, wouldn't hurt to try anyway and my son will be in heaven.  Thanks again Judy.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My pleasure Krit, good luck with it.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
tell your son the company sent you the ingredients to make it (white lie perhaps, but just see what happens...)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
The "mechanics" of preparing corn dogs can sometimes be a bit difficult.  The commercial ones are formed and molded and have many ingredients to keep them from falling apart - not all are desirable.  

The original corn dogs were a totally different critter - with a batter more like that of tempura.  They were introduced at the Texas State Fair in 1942 - and were simply dipped in a batter made with cornmeal. 

Some batters just don't stick well.  This one is better than most.

and the trick is to have them at room temp and dry the hot dogs and then roll them in cornflour before dipping them into the batter, allow them to drip a bit, roll again in the corn flour and dip a second time in the batter - then directly into the hot oil.  

many people make a thicker dough and form it around the hot dogs but this often does not cook through and one has raw dough and a partially uncooked hot dog.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:46:06 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks andie, this sounds more like what Krit is looking for, correct colour for corn dogs too.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
ahhh, corndogs, that mysterious critter. haven't made them for years, but this is the recipe i use(d):

2 cups flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 3/4 cups milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
10 frankfurtss
8-10 cups of vegetable oil
10 thick skewers

Preheat oil in a deep pan or fryer to 180 degrees.

Combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, salt and bicarb soda in a large bowl.

Combine the milk and egg yolks to the dry ingredients and mix with an electric mixer until batter is smooth.

Dry off the frankfurts with a paper towel. Insert the skewer about halfway into the end of each hot dog.

When the oil is hot, tip the bowl of batter so that you can completely coat each frankfurt. Roll
the frankfurt in the batter until it is entirely covered with batter.

Hold the frankfurt up by the stick and let some of the batter drip off. Quickly submerge the frankfurt in the oil and spin it slowly so that the coating cooks evenly. After about 20 seconds you can
use a lid to the deep fryer or pan to put weight on the stick, keeping the frankfurt fully immersed
in the oil. You can cook a couple frankfurt at a time this way. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until coating is
dark brown. Turn them once or twice as they cook. Drain on paper towels while cooling, and
repeat with remaining frankfurt.