Author Topic: Saved the cash for a Thermomix but now am having 2nd thoughts  (Read 13202 times)

Offline medusa

• View Profile
Saved the cash for a Thermomix but now am having 2nd thoughts
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:46 am »
will I regret it.  I know it is probably silly asking this on a forum where people are so passionate about it but I am so worried about buyers remorse, it is such a lot of money.  I said to myself I wouldn't buy one until I saved the money for it, no going into debt for it but now that I have i am not sure I should go through with the actual purchase. 

I have three kids, a husband I know that I will use it but did anyone else have these thoughts beforehand?
Medusa, in Oz

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Saved the cash for a Thermomix but now am having 2nd thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:44:37 am »
are you crazy??! lol ;D ;D ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:10 am »
No regrets whatsoever krit - I used mine 6 times today and wouldn't have made any of those things if I didn't have him.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:42 am »
You won't regret it and if you don't love it you will be able to sell it really easily for pretty close to what you paid for it  ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:51:33 am »
I think most people are hesitant before they buy anything expensive but I think by just reading the posts on the forum you can tell it would benefit your family.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:59:20 am »
Have already made baf65 creamy chicken and vegetables as well as custard tonight and hardly had to lift a  finger. I know we are all converts by the process of having bought a Thermomix but how could you not love something that cooks so effortlessly and allowed me to spend more time with my kids tonight instead of in front of a stove???
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 11:16:25 am »
For me, and I have young children, it was worth it for the safety aspect as in I would much prefer to use the TMX than the cooktop. The fact that the lid locks and it locks into the base, it really can't be tipped as easily as a saucepan on the stove, so it just makes cooking so much safer. It's amazing too how much excitement the kids get out of seeing what's cooked in there. My 2yo comes up to me and says "I see, I see" sooo cute. Our other two boys love seeing what we can make in there. Honestly, I think you'll love it, and this forum will certainly see to it that you do use it and get value out of it. And of course, don't forget all the preservatives you can reduce or even eliminate.

I had a food processor before having a TMX and if I was doing something I would sometimes think oh I should get the food processor out for this but then always thought what a pain in the butt it was to clean, too many sharp blades etc so I just didn't bother. I use the TMX all the time, it's so simple to clean most of the time. The trick as these ladies will tell you is to have it on the bench where you will use it. Oh and my husband uses it too, he loves it as well.

All in all you need to make the right decision of course for you, but I personally don't think you would regret it, especially with kids. Good luck.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 11:21:02 am »
The best money I have ever spent.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:42:46 am »
I'm not clear what you think you might regret?  Noone can make you use something if you don't want to!  The fact that your hubbie might use it would just make me rush out & get it if I was in your shoes!!!  I think it depends upon how you cook now & what issue the Thermomix is the solution to.  What was it that you got excited about when you saw it & decided to save up for it?  Is that thought still in your mind?  It's such a personal decision for everyone.  In my household it's meant I cook again.  That simple.  We hardly ever have take away because everything we do is so much nicer than what we can pick up in no less time from local restaurants.
So, whats it going to give you? Is it more time? Better health? Lower food bills? Only you know the answer to that.  You are right that we are a biased community so we're unlikely to talk you out of one if you are half way over the line.  Maybe you need to do a pro's & con's list???!!!!  Have a think about a typical weeks cooking/eating & find the equivalent recipes here & then you'll have a better idea of the time/money differences owning one would make.
Best of luck with your decision.  I, like many others here, couldn't imagine life without my Thermomix any more.

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:52:53 pm »
I just love mine!!!!!  I work 40 plus hours a week and still use mine at least 3 times a day, last Thursday night I got home at about 8.30 and my teenage daughter(who should have dinner ready for me) said whats for tea I feel like indian. 
I felt like a shower a glass of wine and toast.
Threw everything (no packet crap) in TM and butter chicken was served would have waited for takeaway longer and had more dishes because it all comes in plastic containers and I'd have to wash them.  It doesn't get better then that - even with my own Garam masala.
I'm hungry thinking about it.
P.S you never see them for sale second hand!!!!!

Offline JenniCB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »
Hey Debbiebillg, my 2 1/2 year old says "I see, I see?" too!! I'm always having to take off the jug to show her what's inside...LOL!! My kids just love it. Every time I make something they want to know if Thermie did it....and I say...."of course!!!"
Mum to 5 gorgeous kids, 3 bio aged 22,20 and 15, and 2 adopted aged 7 and 2.

Living in Western Australia

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 03:15:17 pm »
My nearly 2 yr old says 'look look look' and I have to show him and his older brother then he follows up with 'taste??' I feel like I am doing demos at home!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »
krit you are just being silly. Just do it. If you hate it then offer it for sale on the forum and see how many takers you get?

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline I love my TM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:15:55 pm »
I can understand your concern - it is a LOT of money for a "kitchen appliance".  I really worried that I wouldn't use mine enough to be worth the money, but I took a deep breath and jumped in, thinking I could always sell it on ebay if I wasn't using it enough.  Now that we've had it a couple of months  I find I use it ALL the time.  It is a very very rare day when it doesn't get used.  I recently had mine break (not a manufacturing problem, more a teenager bumping it on the bench and having it drop on the floor & having it bend in the wrong way), so we've been without it for 5 days now and I'm really finding it a lot more work to do things (and I'm cheesed off it came right in the middle of all my Christmas goodie making - but it will be good for me to have a break from that).

I don't think you'll regret it & remember you can always sell it second hand if you aren't using it in a few months time (they retain their value really well because people generally don't sell them, but hold on to them).

I REALLY wish I'd had it when my kids were small - it would have made things a lot easier.  We couldn't afford to buy baby food, so made all their food - which has had good flow on effects as they really love home made stuff now, and really don't enjoy anything "packaged".

Best of luck

Cheers
p.s. I'm getting a replacement bowl soon from my consultants.  They have been lovely all the way through & I've really enjoyed having their support.   :D

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 10:44:56 pm »
I'm the last person who should respond to this thread as I'm a complete kitchen gadget queen!  But, that being true, I've also used a lot of them.  I have a lot of high end kitchen appliances and have now added to that with the Thermomix and I really don't think you will regret your purchase.

I've never yet met a motor this strong.  It seems to me that the blades of the unit are not actually super sharp (which is no bad thing) but the motor really has some brute force  ;D.  I love cooking and baking and the Thermomix has given me more avenues to explore and brought into my daily repertoire things that are just too time consuming to do with small children (mine are almost 9, 6 and 2 1/2).  All mine love to watch and to feed the machine (they're all boys).

As an aside my boys also really love home made food, my oldest especially begs for home made bread and they're favourite meal is home made pizza

Nik

Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010