Author Topic: Whats your next cookbook?  (Read 77163 times)

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
Whats your next cookbook?
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:39:42 am »
I thought it might be nice to share what cookbooks everyone has on there 'to buy' list? I head straight to the cooking section as soon as I enter a book store and starting picking out books I want!

Mine are:
> Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine by Bryant Terry
> reFresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes From the Award Winning Fresh Restaurants by Ruth Tal & Jennifer Houston
> Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking by Heidi Swanson
> Lola's icecreams and sundaes
> Indian TM cookbook
> ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Getting Really Healthy
and a few more...

I am also looking for a good cook book that just has all the basics, my mum has one called 'the australian cookbook' that is useful. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice basic cookbook?

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Whats your next cookbook?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:21:06 am »
I would like the indian and veg TMX books and I love the look of that lola's icecream book too :)

As for basic cook books I love Stephanie Alexanders book - the cooks companion is great (expensive but great)

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:26:27 am »
I have a new rule :) That on the first saturday of the month I get to spend up to $40 on books. (I have to limit it, or I will buy everything)

I think lola's is my number 1 desire!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:03:50 am »
Sim, what a lovely new rule.  Actually I must admit I buy books whenever I see them. Apart from TMX books I am trying to limit my cookbook collection. I love reading too so buy lots of my favourite authors when they have a new release and it's cheap at Big W.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:01:25 am »
I want to buy "Sim's greatest beauty recipes" - have you written it yet?

I usually just indulge at the library... :(
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:11 am »
i am banned (by myself) from buying any more cookbooks - i just never use them.

i do however use my tmx ones so i want the indian one. not sure when i'll be able to afford it though
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 11:08:08 am »
I should be banned - bought 5 secondhand cookbooks last week.  Only cost $45 total - but hey I've got too many.

One was Cyndi O'Meara's Changing habits/Lives Cookbook for $8 - not the latest edition - but ...

My next book may be Stephanie's new book - but need to save the pennies and be better disciplined at not buying books that i really don't need.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:46 am »
I have stopped buying cookbooks now that I have the TMX - have plenty on hand to convert recipes if I want to and have this wonderful forum for other recipes.  Gave away 40 books a couple of years ago for Mum's fete and reckon I could let another 40 go as I rarely look at them these days.  I liked Thermomixer's idea (that he didn't stick to for long) of taking one recipe from a different book each week to convert for the TMX.  When I have time, I still love to browse through old books though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:52 am »
Funny, while I was watching Julie & Julia last night i was thinking - why didn't I keep going with writing those recipes from the books?

I could probably have written a book and had a film starring Leonardo di Caprio as me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:50 am »
I was planning to buy Jude Blereau's "wholefood for the family" online and borrowed it from the library just to double check that it would be useful.  I'm so happy I did as I've found the recipes very uninspiring.  I am really loving Sue Gregg's blender batter wholegrain recipes from her website and am now thinking of buying one of her cookbooks when I have some pennies saved.  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:05 pm »
Cookbooks are my one big vice.  I always seem to have a wishlist but try to make at least three things from each book to justify the purchase!!!!

Trudy

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 01:06:52 pm »
*sigh*
I challenged the kids to a spring cull of their rooms and my 14yo DS said he would if I did my cookbooks... :o

I am awaiting the Indian TMX book... and Vego one.. and the Gluten free one.... and.... :-[
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 01:27:30 pm »
*sigh*
I am always buying cookbooks  :-)). I try to resist. But I can't help it. I don't need them. And the REAL trap is those cheap books that come around work! Who can resist for $5, $8 or what ever they are. I moved last November and have 3 boxes in storage of cookbooks, my small cupboard here has overflown onto the kitchen table, a pile by my bed and into the main bookcase. I can't help it. And now my justification is "oh, well I'm sure I can convert that to TMX..."  :-))  And I keep planning to try at least one new thing a week and convert it.... yeah right! First I'd have to be organised. I have bread ones, fail safe, allergy safe, gluten free, vegetarian, asian, dessert, baking, soups, one bowl meal, whole foods, whole grains, slow cooker, yoghurt recipes, cheap eats, entertaining, canapes, tapas, icecreams & sorbets, cakes, birthday cakes, cupcakes, biscuits, slices, more cakes, ...... you name it, I've probably got something in that category.

And the sad thing is... when I get back to work on Wednesday, there will be a new set and I'll be sifting through the 3 lots (we don't just have one lot of cheap books... we have 3 different lots!!  :o ) lof new books. And guess who couldn't possibly resist something.... ??? :-)) ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »
At least you cook ILB - one of my staff can't resist and doesn't cook.  Has a cupboard bursting with those cookbooks and last week bought an "Easy" Italian cookbook with a CD.  After the man had taken her money and left we asked why - she said she thought that it was a good idea to have a DVD to show you how to cook.  Shame - she hadn't really looked and it was a CD with Italian opera selections to listen to while you cook like an Italian  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:49:25 pm »
LMAO Thermomixer!  Oops.
She's in for a suprise - IF she ever puts it on  :D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog