Author Topic: Devil of a Cookbook - Fragrant Curry Sauce with Chicken review  (Read 14737 times)

Offline medusa

• View Profile
Pg 83 but I got the recipe here as I don't have the book

http://www.7perth.com.au/view/today-tonight-articles/today-tonight-thermomix_20120621182311/

I have to say the only change I made was I used ground turmeric as I didn't have fresh (which in the recipe it stated it was fine). 

It was a flop, chicken totally shredded, very blah and not a nice curry at all.  My hubby who will eat anything at all without complaint even said it wasn't very nice was it.

I threw the recipe out and won't make it again

1/5
Medusa, in Oz

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Devil of a Cookbook - Fragrant Curry Sauce with Chicken review
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:35:38 am »
Thats a shame, the ingredients look good >:(
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:25 am »
Sounds like there are more than a few duds in this  book. What a shame .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:45:18 am »
Halle that is why I was attracted to it because of the ingredients.  I thought it would be nice but to quote Masterchef the balance of flavours was all wrong.  I wouldn't waste time or ingredients making it again or even playing around with it, it just didn't work taste wise or texturally.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:45:33 am »
Thanks Medusa, good to know, another one not to try.

Yes it is a shame.

What upsets me is that we all paid good money for a great book & in the hope we would review the recipes & more people would help save the animals.

It is sad, its not their fault. >:(

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:47:14 am by Halex »

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:57 am »
I wouldn't  worry too much H . I did not expect it to be a Great cookbook so much as an interesting one. In any case like most I bought it for the animals but I wonder just how much is going to save the tigers. They are doing the cookbook classes  all over the country including Cairns to promote the book charging $60 a head . Wonder where that money goes.

And I wonder if they are issuing the corrections at the same time. Not very  professional. And they are charging that money for a venue in a footy hall. Bags not.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:15:49 pm »
Well I am very disappointed in the reviews so far - the author ran a restaurant in Tasmania which was a huge success so that fact alone led me to believe it would contain great recipes. I held off buying it though - a wise move in hindsight.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:19:24 pm »
Yes JD, i thought it would be fantatic because she had a restaurant.

Dissapointing, the healthy chicken is good & the curry paste I made, mind you it says add to curries etc, but doesnt give you an idea about which meat or quantity. I love it but just rub it on chicken.

Gert, as long as the devils survive, , I woukd assume anything to do with the book would be donated, one would hope so.

:)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »
I just got my Devil of a Cookbook today... I feel like I need to go through and put big black crosses on some of the recipes already :-\

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:01 pm »
Yes JD, i thought it would be fantatic because she had a restaurant.

Dissapointing, the healthy chicken is good & the curry paste I made, mind you it says add to curries etc, but doesnt give you an idea about which meat or quantity. I love it but just rub it on chicken.

Gert, as long as the devils survive, , I woukd assume anything to do with the book would be donated, one would hope so.

:)

H do you think that all the costs involved in travelling around the country, hiring the venues , providing the food , printing the invites, are provided free of charge? The only people who would be  donating their time  would be the demonstrators twho  get roped in to support the tour from place to place.  The books are not getting sent around the country to be sold at the classes would  be walking there on their own. Call me stupid, call me a cynic  but I very much doubt that  every $60 collected plus the $ 40  for the book is  going to the devils.

You can hope  H.

Gert

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:32:36 pm by judydawn »

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:31:08 pm »
That s teally sad f its not going to the devils.

But Gert, your robably right >:( :-\

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:40 pm »
I think I might just send a donation directly to save the devils rather than purchasing the book. At least the money is going direct to the cause and I am not purchasing another disappointing cookbook.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
I think I might just send a donation directly to save the devils rather than purchasing the book. At least the money is going direct to the cause and I am not purchasing another disappointing cookbook.

Good idea.

Gert

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 12:54:03 am »
Medusa,  I am sorry you had a disappointing experience with this recipe.  I haven't cooked it yet myself because I haven't got fenugreek at the moment, but I have enjoyed it twice cooked by others, both times with chicken.  I found it a very subtly flavoured curry.

I wonder would you recall if you used chicken breast or thighs?  The recipe in the book clearly includes chicken thighs and so does the recipe in the newspaper you read.  Chicken breast does shred readily - therefore thighs give a better overall result.

Based on your experience though, when I make it I will cut back the chopping times by half in both step 2 and step 3, until the official corrections are published. 

The sauce makes a lot - enough for double the amount of chicken, which still fits in the Thermomix bowl.

That's all I can tell you, but I hope it helps medusa and other people who like the look of this curry sauce.

I haven't seen an official list of recipe corrections at all, but there is a Devil cooking class this weekend, so I guess it will be out by then.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:43 am »
Cecelia how much are they wanting to raise?