Author Topic: Butter  (Read 16136 times)

Offline sarsryan

• View Profile
Butter
« on: December 08, 2010, 09:00:32 am »
Made butter today!  It was great!  So easy!!  I put EVOO in at the end which made it very spreadable, although (funnily enough!) it tasted of the oil.  Could you use another type of oil which would not be so strong in flavour, but still make it spreadable?

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: Butter
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:55 am »
Yay  ;D  Butter was one of the first things I made and I love it.  I don't add anything to mine because I find that after a couple of minutes out of the fridge it's pretty much spreadable anyway.  I'm sure you could probably use rice bran oil or maybe grapeseed oil?  I've heard that doesn't have much of taste (good in mayo too apparently).

On another note, I was searching around the internet last night looking for a 'container' to store my butter in.  I have come across a thing called a French Butter Crock.  I'd never heard of them, but it's a ceramic container that you can store some butter in on your benchtop or table (doesn't need to be in the fridge and is therefore always spreadable).  It consists of a base container which you put some cool water in, and then the butter is stored in the lid.  The water creates a seal to prevent spoilage.  Hard to explain - here's a pic:

Le Creuset make one as does Butter Bell.  I've seen them on Amazon and also there are some more arty ones on the etsy web site.  I'm thinking I might need one for Christmas  ;)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:15 am »
Yes we use grapeseed oil and it doesn't alter the taste.  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:21:54 am »
Early next year I will be able to get butter bells for those that are interested  :) They are brilliant. You only change the water every 3 days and butter will keep for 30 days in a butter bell.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline sarsryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
Thank you for your input.  Yes a butter bell does seem to be the way to go!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 11:43:10 am »
Count me in!  I love the idea and it will help convince DH about eating butter instead of marg.  He is one that doesn't like to have solid butter straight from the fridge.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »
Early next year I will be able to get butter bells for those that are interested  :) They are brilliant. You only change the water every 3 days and butter will keep for 30 days in a butter bell.

Sounds interesting Faffa. I'm intrigued
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
Mmm, so am I.  Is this a new venture you are entering into Kathryn?  Also, on a very hot day of say 43oC, what is to stop that butter melting & falling out into the water below ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »
No it isn't my venture.

The bell remains cool JD as the air around it helps to insulate it. They are really quite intriguing how they work.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »
Tell me more Faffa  ;D I would love to hear about them when they are available. How much do you think they will be and what colour/s? Can you tell I am keen  :-)) ;D ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
Not 100% sure on all the details as yet, I was just informed that they will be available. They will be around the $40.00 mark and I think they will come in a range of colours (from memory - white, red, blue and green. Not entirely sure on that) and it will probably be late Feb I think.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »
Cool  ;D How much do they hold at a time? Also where will they come from/be made. Are you going to sell them?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:40:46 am »
A little bit of interest being shown here. 8) 8)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 12:54:41 am »
You can use any "neutral" oil.  Grapeseed oil is excellent as is canola oil

You can also use ghee if you have a local source or can take the time to make your own.  It is interesting that adding ghee to freshly churned butter extends the keeping qualities of the butter as well as making it more spreadable, and yet you have a pure butter product. 

I have used macadamia nut oil when I plan on preparing composed butters with herbs and spices.  As macadamia has an inherent buttery flavor to begin with, it is especially useful for this use.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:53 am »
February may not be the best time to use a Butter Bell in Australia! I've read reviews on it and most say that it's not capable of holding the butter when the temperature is over 75-80 degrees F.

But, I still want one! They sound so sensible. I adore butter, but use Dairy Soft because of the trouble keeping butter soft. I don't make butter as I can never get enough cream.

I bought a new fridge recently and they don't make them with butter conditioners anymore! Remember there used to be a compartment that had a warming element, just for butter?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand