Author Topic: Disapointed with my Thermo  (Read 24871 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Disapointed with my Thermo
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:06 pm »
Don't give up warped, I'm sure with the forums help we can get you through this problem.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 05:43:25 pm »
I agree with what everyone has said so far, so I won't add to it. (sorry I did add to it!)  Have you tried Baf's chicken dish?http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1063.0
This is an all in one dish that your family may like. I've had my TMX for almost 2 years (wow we must have a party for him!) I still cook most of my main meat dishes out of the TMX. The family generally prefer this, but then I use the TMX for vegies, bread, biscuits, cakes, sweets, sauces, custards and of course all the chopping etc needed for the main meals.
eg if we're having a quiche I'll make the pastry in the TMX, chop and cook onion, bacon etc in the TMX, them combine the milk and eggs in the TMX before putting it into the pastry.
Keep trying and the best of luck.

Good that Cookie stepped in!  This is the recipe which I was trying to describe, but got the title hopelessly wrong  :-)) :D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »

My Mum says that the apricot chicken in the Oz recipe book is lovely, but I can't get the proper ingredients here.  That's another one to try.

If it is the apricot nectar that is the issue, I don't use it, as I have a pantry full of preserved apricots (like canned apricots). I use the syrup from them in the first part of the recipe, and then make up the weight with the fruit halves, works just as well and yes this is a yummy recipe. Sorry to hear that Wapred isn't happy, I say stick with it too!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 01:33:27 am »
My Mum says that the apricot chicken in the Oz recipe book is lovely, but I can't get the proper ingredients here.  That's another one to try.

T

There is a recipe on this site for apricot nectar if that's any help.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2310.0

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 03:53:54 am »
yoohoo wapred, where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu???????????????  ;D
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:02 pm »
Thanks both - yes, it's the nectar that's the issue.  I tried doing a substitute (I forget what I did) but it turned out far too sweet for us and I really didn't like it.  However, Mum isn't a sweet thing person either, and said that it isn't particularly sweet when she makes it.  So clearly it was my substitution that was the problem.

I'll get around to trying your suggestions, as she really does enthuse about this recipe. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 09:42:42 am »
carolinew what about just natural apricot juice or a tin of apricots drained of the liquid/syrup and mixed up in the thermomix with maybe adding a little water if its too thick as a replacement??  we can get nectar in france so its funny you cant get it in the uk ..it is the uk right...forgive me if this is not at all what you were talking about as my brain doesnt seem to be functioning much these days being kept awake by my 2yo DD!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 12:56:39 pm »
I use pear juice as the apricot nectar in Aus is full of crud - sugar and stuff. Otherwise just use a can of apricots in natural juice. They both work well.

Offline wapred

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 02:38:25 pm »
Well I wish I new you all in person you have been so inspiring and I have taken all your comments on board.  Thank you soo much   :) :) :)

I have this week made a huge effort.  I have done the meatballs and penne but with chicken which has turned out great, made Is's bread rolls another hit and also the chicken kievs which were very sucessful I must say. Did the mash but still came out quite lumpy, any suggestions???? I have made my own savoury mince which was good as find the kids hard with the TMX.

I made the Nutella for the kids but used milk chocolate and only put half qty of cocoa powder and half of powered milk.  I must say this tasted like it had come from the supermarket shelf & the best ginger nuts ever yum yum.  Tomorrow I am going for the mongolian lamb.  I am also attempting my own vietnamese rolls so I will see how these go..

I think I am seriously waffling now, so sorry I could now type on here for ever.   

Thank you all 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:43 pm »
ok, so you seem to be travelling alright and I would say you need to cook your potatoes more if they are lumpy and puree. don't try and 'tweak' recipes before you have tried them - you are only a newbie after all, and don't get hung up on being perfect cos no one ever is. follow the recipe and then tweak if its not to your liking.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 04:32:11 pm »
So glad to hear you are having successes. The potatoes may be in too bigger pieces. I know I cut them too big the first few times I did mash and they weren't cooked.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 12:56:36 am »
Waffle on as much as you like wapred, it's wonderful to hear things are starting to go well for you now that you've decided to seriously give mains a go.  I dice my potato no more than 3cm, never any lumps ( I cook them in the basket).  Better to overcook than undercook them for success.  Nice to see you are tweaking recipes and creating others to suit what your family likes - no holding you back now.  This forum has done what it does best - inspire people.  Another happy customer  8) 8)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 01:06:04 am »
glad things are improving!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline ozrockit

• The Wilson's in Kal
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix Goldfields and Kalgoorlie
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 01:53:20 am »
all sounds positive, a recipe we go back to regularly is the Beef strog EDC, we have tweaked it by leaving out the 100ml wine, using 800grms of meat (both to reduce the liquid to solid ratio) and adding a dash (20 - 40ml) brandy.. oh yeah I am going to make this tonight now.   
Preach the Gospel wherever you are, when necessary use words
St Francis

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 04:56:57 am »
Fantastic news wapred. Don't forget to let us know about your successes and failures.

Have a look at my holey cake here for an incredible failure. It tasted lovely though.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3779.0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:00:11 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/