Author Topic: Rice milk - not rice pudding but the rice drink.  (Read 39085 times)

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
Re: Rice milk - not rice pudding but the rice drink.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:26 am »
Thanks bel  That looks like the sort of recipie I was looking for.

Brazen ....  it is definily only 50 gm to a litre of water.

I tried 100gm and it was like slurry used for the motor mix in brick work.

Did you check out my math and the projected savings??
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:18 am »
Ok cool, i will make a batch then :) i was confused because the other recipe uses 500g!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 02:09:59 pm »
Karen, 50g of rice for sure.

Today I omitted the lecithin (because it's a soy product, because it makes it very creamy and rich) and added an extra 10g of almonds.  Kids say it's better.  Will see how it is after 24 hours in the fridge, as that's when the last lot sometimes got too creamy.

It's always trial and error, isn't it?

I also sieved with a more fine sieve.  Was using the TM basket till today.
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:30 pm »
Mama_bel - I have made your original posed reciep with the  lecithin in it - and it's great.  Previously I had made the straigh rice milk but being the reluctant (and defiant) dairy free person that I am I dug my heels in and turned up my nose. I'm kind of going dairy free but with much kicking and screaming!! But this is very drinkable!  Will have to see how it goes in the morning following your comments about getting creamy.  I'm hoping I can have porridge and not regret it for the rest of the day.

And I'll also use your alternative.

I accidentaly picked up Malted Barley Syrup instead of the Malt Rice Syrup - but it was still nice.  Our health food shop had rice syrup but not malt rice syrup - is there much of a difference??
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 09:41:07 am »
thanks bel. i liked it very much but think i'll have to strain through muslin as my (quite fine) strainer just didn't gt enough bits out, i had a pretty awful coffee towards the end of the batch! it was lovely and creamy though.  i'll have to leave out the almonds totally (i didn't use lecithin and thought it was fine) as they really upset my tummy.  i used maple syrup to sweeten.
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 01:21:17 pm »
I love this forum - it's great to hear what others have tried too!

I left the lecithin out and added 10g of almonds, as suggested to me by my consultant.  The milk isn't creamy 1+ days later like it went last time.  The kids said that this batch is better - more rice milk and less cow's milk substitute. :)  We also have dairy, but some of the kids like to drink rice milk, and I prefer rice milk on cereal some mornings.

It's great to tweak the recipes and be able to create a result that's perfect to your family's tastes in just minutes.  And if a result is less than ideal it can become custard or go into baking, can't it! :)
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 02:17:01 pm »
I am soooo looking forward to this one Bel... *thumbs up*

Let's see how C, L & J go with it! ;D

Roll on midweek for TM to be delivered!!  (Short for "The Machine" as bestowed on it by 14yo. LOL!)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 08:44:00 am »
I've only just read this post and have laughed all the way through it.

Spanner have you bought the TMX and how is it going if you did?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:51 am »
I've only just read this post and have laughed all the way through it.

Spanner have you bought the TMX and how is it going if you did?
At the time of your post .... no I had not bought a TMX.

At the time of this post ... yes I have.

In answer to your question how is it going?  Alright mate. You?  ....... nah really just taking the Pi**.  Actually I only ordered it last night so i will let you (all) know how it goes for me (us) .

Cheers
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline scatman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 04:29:09 pm »
Thanks Mama Bel for the recipe :-*  I have been drinking rice milk for 5-6 years now so making it myself is just another I can save money with the TM as well as being in control of what goes onto my food.  I used to drink Soy milk until i read about the dangers to health from long term use. 

Gidday Spanner ;D   Look forward to hearing more about your journey with TMX.  I use it everyday.  It seems now that I have to Share it with DW :-)) :-))  even though I love what she cooks with it.  ;) 

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:09 am »
Hi all - glad to hear you're enjoying my recipe!  I've tweaked it a bit more too, as I had a comment from someone saying her rice milk was separating and getting too gritty.  I haven't had any problems with rice milk separating, so I'm not sure why my friend's did, but here's a few ideas if you're having the same problem... or if it's too gritty...

Gritty rice 'sludge' may mean your blades are getting blunt - try grinding ice - I probably make sorbet twice a week.  I grind grains about twice or three times a day.  Also, make sure your bowl is REALLY dry when you grind the rice (dry it, then spin the blades on turbo and re-dry), and if you want it really fine, grind the rice on its' own first (for up to a minute) then add the almonds and grind for about 10 - 20 secs.  (Actually, that's a good way to check if your blades are still sharp - they should be able to grind the rice to really fine flour.)  Then add the coconut oil, salt and rice malt syrup, and 400g water, and mix on sp 8 for 40 secs, so it's all creamy... (That step is optional)... THEN add the rest of the water (I add 900g more to fill a 1.3 litre bottle) and cook on 60 degrees for 6 minutes.  Then mix on sp 8 for another 40 seconds.  Then strain the bran and skins out.  That's my latest version of the recipe!  (It's always evolving!) 

You can also use Arborio rice instead of brown rice if you want to, as there's less grit left over with that - I prefer using brown rice.  Sometimes I use raw cashews instead of almonds, as they're creamier and leave no skins.  If you find the milk is separating, maybe you could try cooking it at a higher temp, so it's thicker.  Also, make sure your bottle is really clean - I found that if it has the residue of the last batch of rice milk in it, it gets all thick and 'buttermilkish' by the next day.

Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:30 am »
oh great tips. i have been finding mine very gritty and separating easily. i never ever made sorbet though lol (no one eats fruit in my house, or at least no one likes the same fruit)  i use cahews last time and was much better on my tummy!
My Cooking Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 08:22:51 am »
does anyone mind if I move this thread into either Drinks or Special Diets? and if not which one makes more sense to you?

i'm just about to post the one I've been making on my blog :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 12:16:57 pm »
I'm all for that Brazen. Maybe under drinks???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »
Sounds like a good executive housekeeping decision!  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem