Author Topic: Hugh's Home made chorizo  (Read 8348 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hugh's Home made chorizo
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:46:13 am »
Name of Recipe:  Chorizo based on Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe
Number of People: Makes 500g
Ingredients:

600g pork shoulder, coarsely minced - I used a pork neck roast
2 tspn sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp hot smoked paprika
1 tsp Tenina's garlic paste
5g fine sea salt
1 tsp fennel seeds
1/16th tspn cayenne pepper
40 ml red wine
Freshly ground pepper
A little olive oil for frying

Dice the pork 3-4 cm and in 2 batches, pulse twice on turbo for about 2 seconds.
Return all mince to the TM bowl and add the remaining ingredients except the oil.
Mix 30 sec/speed 3/reverse. Remove and place on a flat plate.
Remove the white sinew threads you can see and to check that it's spicy enough for you, take a small amount, shape it into a tiny patty and fry it for a few minutes on each side until cooked through.  If you want it hotter, add more cayenne and black pepper.  Cover and place the chorizo mixture into the fridge for 24 hours for the flavours to develop.

Usage - Hugh says this will last in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Shape into mini meatballs or little patties and fry until browned - they can then be added to casseroles, soups etc or you can fry a couple of handfuls of the mixture, breaking it up with the edge of a wooden spatula as you go until you have a pan of coarse, crisp chorizo crumbs to scatter over salads, soups & egg dishes, especially scrambled eggs or toss with pasta or vegies.

I made his Chorizo Carbonara with some of the mixture and have posted recipe.

I also made some chorizo sausages and have frozen them for use in recipes with this ingredient, made a batch of bolognaise sauce with hidden vegies to serve over penne and some chorizo croquettes - a total of 4 different recipes from 600g pork.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:51:02 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Hugh's Home made chorizo
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:00 am »
Yum JD - looks wonderful and thanks for posting.

One question - when Hugh FW says it keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, is that in its cooked or uncooked state?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:24 am »
I saw Hugh make Chorizo on his cookery show Judy.Nice conversion ;) ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:07 am »
Katya, I took it that he meant it its raw state but cooked or raw, I wouldn't leave it that long myself. 

Tomorrow I am hoping to have time to cook up a bit more and make some Chorizo croquettes from the Taste.com website and the remainder of the mixture I might make some sausage shapes, panfry them and freeze them for recipes that have chorizo sausage in the ingredients.  I thought I would make my own so that I know exactly what's in them as I could never bring myself to buy chorizo sausages and therefore I have avoided any recipe with this ingredient on the list.

CC, Katie lent me one of his books ages ago and I was quite excited when I saw this recipe. It's taken me a while to get around to making it.  Never having tasted real chorizo, I can't compare this with the bought sausage version.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:27 am »
chorizo  is lovely, but expensive up here.

will try this one, Thanks Judy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url