Author Topic: Keeping fit, staying strong  (Read 157023 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Keeping fit, staying strong
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2012, 11:45:09 am »
It'll be great to hear about your training TL:)

Amy, I wouldn't say I was a 'spinner' but I went about twice a week....having great music pumping really loud (and the peer pressure) was a great motivator & the bonus is you don't need to be overly coordinated like in other classes ;) and you get used to the sore bottom! I started out by not pushing myself and just keeping time/rhythm, then if I wasn't 'feeling it' I'd crank up the tension by the end I was keeping up with the trainers (then fell pregnant with complications and couldn't exercise)...if you don't push yourself too hard too fast it is lots of fun!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Keeping fit, staying strong
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:07 am »
Twice a week was pretty good Jamberie ;D And it sounds like you were pretty good at motivating yourself too ;)
I was too embarrassed walking around town with a limp that I didn't try to get used to the sore bottom! And I got the worst wedgies of my life in Spin or RPM classes :o :-)) :D
I have a mountain bike now that I ride occasionally, and I stand up a lot because the track I ride has quite a few hills :)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Keeping fit, staying strong
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:59 pm »
Mountain biking looks fun, but I'm a bit uncoordinated so I think fixed "hills" or bike paths are more my style :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »
LOL fair enough ;D You probably don't get lizards or snakes in a Spin class either ;)

mcmich

« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2012, 08:09:29 pm »
Amy, Jamberie, what do you do at a spin class?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2012, 08:46:34 pm »
TL it will be great to hear about your training plans, I find hearing about others also keeps me motivated so bring it on. Amy will now be checking on you each day to make sure you are sticking to your plan so there will be no slacking!

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »
Amy, Jamberie, what do you do at a spin class?

It's a high intensive exercise cycling class where you do intervals of easy and hard cycling (with resistance up) and you can burn up to 800 cals in the class (three muffins!), which is quite a lot. I used to go go the gym at uni and thr instructor works us hard! This reminds me that I should sign up again for lunchtime classes.

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2012, 09:13:21 pm »

Here's a snapshot of my training plan - I am in week 16 now and today 5k easy run is on the menu :) I slept in and now miss 2 is up and hubby is still in bed because he stayed up late working so will have to wait until he wakes up before I can lace up.

Or maybe I should take miss 2 in a pram? Hmmm.

mcmich

« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2012, 09:18:10 pm »
Thanks TL. Don't think I will be taking that up, it sounded like fun, I thought it might be a bit of a dance class.
Back to walking the dog.  :D

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »
What exercise equipments does everyone have in their homes?

I only have a fitball (purchased when I was pregnant) and a couple of dumbells. And a yoga mat. I kept thinking I need to have more stuff: Ideally would like a step, kettlebells, skipping rope. But having said that, have to admit am not using the fitball and dumbells as much as I should.

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2012, 09:53:37 pm »
TL, I've recently purchased a book called "You Are Your Own Gym." It made me realise that I don't actually need any equipment, and I can achieve a high level of fitness using just my body ;)
Good luck with your run today :) I think taking the pram might be a bit much for 5km!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
We don't have anything at home really, DH has some dumbells and we purchased DD a skipping rope for Christmas. I find I never do much exercise at home, these days much prefer going to the gym, the pt or walking.

TL the training plan looks great. This is probably a stupid question or I've misunderstood but if you are on week 16 now do you repeat the plan again for the build up to the marathon in March?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:26 pm »
I've seen that book Amy and I do a bit with my pt just using my own body weight and it's amazing how hard you can work with no equipment - it's all about knowledge and motivation.

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:45 pm »
It sure is Wonder :D And a lot cheaper too! It is also great because you don't have the excuse of the gym being closed and not having access to machines ;)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2012, 01:39:39 am »
Amy, did you ever get to the bottom of your health problems? It doesn't sound like you are back to all the exercise you used to do but concentrating on walking and swimming.