Author Topic: Yoghurt failure  (Read 10205 times)

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
Yoghurt failure
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »
I tried yoghurt last night from this video http://youtu.be/mOVXbF_uhfk

It didn't work, and seeing as I'm not keen on wasting money experimenting I thought I'd ask all of you for ideas why :)

I used Greek Yoghurt. In hindsight I'm not sure this was a good choice.

I heated up the milk to 90deg, then let it cool, but for too long. When I put the tmx back in the housing it didn't register a temperature at all. So I put it on for 2 min at 37 deg.

Then I added the 120g yoghurt to some milk, mixed and added back in. Cooked it at 37deg for 20 min. Poured into thermoserver and left on the bench for 8 hrs.

And I still have sloppy milk. It hasn't thickened at all.

What did I do wrong?!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Yoghurt failure
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:48:20 pm »
I just use the one in the EDc and I have  never had a failure.

Might be best to use  a thermometer next time and not add milk to the pot set yogurt.

Is it too sloppy to strain through a chux and make cheese from it?

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:54:24 pm »
Hi BecciM.  Funny thing - I just watched this video this morning (found it on Facebook).  Hmmm -  I wondered if it would work.
I make my yoghurt exactly to the EDC cookbook and it works everytime - nice and thick and creamy.  There are a couple of threads on the Forum but I am happy with this one as I make it all the time.  Have thought about sending away for cultures etc but just started with a good accidopholus yoghurt and then make my own from there.

800 g full cream milk
50g milk powder (I use skim)
3 tbsp joghurt (I set mine in little jars in a maker so use about half of one)

Place milk and powdered milk into TM bowl and blend for 10 seconds speed 7
Cook for 30 min 90 degrees speed 1
Allow to cool to 37 degrees
Add yoghurt and blend gently 4 seconds on speed 4
(At this stage I add honey and vanilla bean paste - because that is what my DH likes)
Cook 10 minutes at 37 degrees speed 1

I then pour into jars and leave to set in yoghurt maker for 6 hours - have not tried the Thermoserver although I have threatened to do so with some plain yoghurt for myself and for cooking.

You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:11:07 am »
Thanks for your replies.

Yes Gert it is much too sloppy, it's all the same consistency as it was when I poured it in to the thermoserver. I will try the EDC one, this video just looked to be very simple. Do you think I could still use the thermoserver for it?

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:12:23 am »
Deniser, thank you for your detailed reply.  Will also give your recipe a go. I love the sound of honey and vanilla bean paste. Yum!

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 04:55:16 am »
Becci - can't see why the Thermoserver won't work.  I think that is what most people use.  Just that I had a (cheap) yoghurt maker here at home so I use that.  Only two of us so a litre at a time is plenty and if I am in the mood could add different flavours to each little pot after done in the TMX. Have thought to use the thermoserver sometimes so will give it a go - whichever one of us tries it first will have to post.  Good luck.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:19:24 am »
Thanks for your replies.

Yes Gert it is much too sloppy, it's all the same consistency as it was when I poured it in to the thermoserver. I will try the EDC one, this video just looked to be very simple. Do you think I could still use the thermoserver for it?

I always use the thermoserver and don't touch it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Domesticgoddess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 12:24:42 am »
I used greek yoghurt to make mine yesterday. fail. didn't thicken at all. I also didn't use the thermoserver because the recipe said use a bowl. will try natural yoghurt next time and the thermoserver. any other suggestions?

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:23 am »
I use my thermosaver all the time.  Just don't touch it for a few hours and also strain it for a half hour as we like the texture of greek yoghurt.   Not sure where you live but if it's in Adelaide then I could give you a starter.

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 03:18:30 am »
I use my thermoserver all the time.  I run it under very hot water and then quickly dry it just before pouring the yogourt in.  Once in I also wrap the thermoserver in 2 tea towels and don't touch it and leave it over night.  For Greek yogourt strain it but I just use as is and I make it on a regular basis.    To start out I buy a small little container of plain organic yogourt with live culture in it but after that I just keep some back from each batch and use that for the next batch

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 03:46:50 am »
I've even resorted to wrapping the thermoserver in a doona :-)) :-)) but I haven't taken the precaution of heating it first. Thanks for pointing that out, Woerd.  I've also used the Jalna Greek yogurt - and it worked. . . I 've also had the occasional failure but can't pin it down to any particular cause.

Bonsai

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 12:15:47 pm »
I use my thermoserver (per-heated with hot water) , wrapped in a towel and put in an esky. Use the last of one batch of yogurt to make the next and leave it about 12 hours to set. Always works but I find it gets a bit watery after a few rounds so use a commercial live plain yogurt as a starter every so so often. Keep meaning to get some yogurt starter from cheese links or green living Australia.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:04 pm »
I have never had a failure using Jalna yoghurt and Helene's recipe. I too preheat thermoserver with boiling water, wrap it in a towel and leave it in the microwave for 12 hours. I have even used the vanilla flavoured Jalna, it's less tart.

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:07 pm »
Make sure that the milk isn't too hot when you add the culture or yogurt, and don't mix it too much.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:49 pm »
I've read that if the container you are pouring in to isn't 100% clean (it might have other bacteria in it) that it can result in runny yogurt. Heating the thermoserver will not only help the yogurt set but will also help to kill any unwanted bacteria that might be lurking inside.