Author Topic: Thermomix Sauerkraut  (Read 6368 times)

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
Thermomix Sauerkraut
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:01 am »
The perfect condiment to include with anything savoury, and full of wonderful healthy pro-biotics. This recipe uses only cabbage, salt and water and is naturally fermented in an ordinary glass jar.

Makes: 1 litre jar

INGREDIENTS:

500g cabbage (white or red), cut into large wedges
2 tsp natural himalayan pink sea salt (or pure sea salt)
water

METHOD:

Preparation

Add cabbage and salt to Thermomix: 30 sec, speed 4
    Then: 5 min, reverse speed 5 (to massage the cabbage)
    Pack into a 1 litre wide mouthed jar along with any brine (juice) formed during the 'massaging' process (I only get about 1 tablespoon of liquid normally), push cabbage down and top with water, leaving a few centimetres space to allow for gas buildup
    Place lid on jar and shake well to ensure an evenly mixed salty brine
    Push cabbage down firmly and fold a couple of cabbage leaves, place these on top to keep the chopped cabbage under the brine, this should always be covered with liquid to prevent spoilage

Fermenting Process

Leave this at room temperature to ferment naturally, place a dish underneath the jar. We live in the tropics and it only takes approx 5 days, depending on your climate it may take a couple of weeks or so.
    Each day (or more), loosen the lid to allow gas to escape, there will be bubbles that rise to the top. There may be some leakage, that is ok (just empty your dish). If the brine level gets too low from the leakage, top with water again and shake, leave to ferment further. Then tighten your lid again.
    The sauerkraut when ready to transfer to the fridge will become pale and translucent in colour (or pink if using purple cabbage), it will have a pleasant clean smell. Don't be afraid to take the lid off and check it out from time to time.
    Transfer to the fridge to ferment further (although it will be at a slower rate).
    It is ready to eat at this point but for maximum pro-biotic advantage, it is reaches its peak after a number of weeks (we eat it straight away).

PHOTOS and more notes:
http://www.sliceofhealth.com.au/thermomix-recipes/thermomix-sauerkraut
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thermomix Sauerkraut
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:56:38 am »
This made for an interesting read, thanks. My MIL used to make brilliant sauerkraut.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:52:32 pm »
I've never eaten Sauerkraut.Thanks for the recipe Eva.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:16:39 am »
Thanks Cookie and Denise, I also love doing this with a red cabbage and some grated carrot and ginger.  :) so many different variations are possible.
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
Darwin, NT

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »
I've always been taught that you should not put stainless steel anywhere near the cabbage when crushing it. I use  a knife to chop it and hands to massage and crush it with salt and whey from yoghurt. I also add fennel seeds. Yum!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:42 am »
Hi MeganJane

Yes come to think of it, I think I may have read that somewhere too about the stainless steel, and had a quick google about it to research further. It seems you aren't meant to actually ferment it in stainless steel but it's fine to prepare it in stainless steel bowl or use knives, its not in thermy bowl for long so it's always been fine and worked perfectly for me. Your version sounds nice, I've done it like this too (prior to getting lazy and letting Thermomix do my chopping) but never tried it with the whey.  ;D
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
Darwin, NT