Author Topic: Stuffed Pumpkin with Cod (or what ever you like)  (Read 15733 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
Stuffed Pumpkin with Cod (or what ever you like)
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:44:57 pm »
Hello :)

I love this recipe - it's versatile and very good to prepare in advance when we have visit!
And it makes a lovely menu!
This recipe is so great because you can change the cod with so many other things

I got it from a very nice blog called "no soup for you" and you can discover more great things here:  http://nosoup-foryou.blogspot.com/2009/09/abobora-manteiga-recheada.html

Recipe Name:
Stuffed Pumpkin with Cod  

Number of people: 2 people

Ingredients:

1 pumpkin (here thouse are called Butterpumpkins - the form is like a pear) +/- 800 grams - this one had 1 kilo
1 garlic clove
1 / 2 onion
50g leek (hope this is right ???)
100g of ripe tomatoes or peeled
30g green pepper
Fresh Coriander
Olive Oil
40g cheese ( type Philadelphia )
60ml coconut milk
190g of cod soaked and shredded  (I also made it with Chicken / Shrimps / Fish.....)  
140g pumpkin flesh
1 / 2 tsp curry powder
Salt
Tabasco

Preparation

Wash pumpkin and cut it in half lengthwise.
Place the halves with the opening down the varoma container
If you make this recipe for more people and use a larger pumpkin, cut just a lid, cover with aluminum foil or place a cap varoma (in which case cook the pumpkin 10 min moor!).
Pour 800g of water in the cup, place the varoma and set up 25 min, temp varom, level 3.
Let cool slightly and remove with a spoon some pulp of the pumpkin.  Reserve.
(This part can be made in advance, even overnight.)

Place in the TMX: onion, garlic, Leek, tomatoes, pepper and coriander: 3 sec - level 5  
Add the olive oil: 5 min, temp 100 - level 1.
Add the cheese, coconutmilk, cod (or whatever you choose), the reserved pumpkin pulp, curry, salt and Tabasco: 12 min, temp Varoma, level  ^^ :-:.
Check your seasoning and place in the preparation of the squash halves, then put the Pumpkin in an ovenproof dish.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender (test with the tip of a knife).

In this case, it was half of the pumpkin for each of me and my husband served on the plate.
You can serve just with Green Salad or a nice Rice!  It is soooooo  beautiful and Yummi

Hope you try this one!

Photos:

It would be great if someone could tell me the name of this Pumpkin!

Members' comments
JD - This is a great little dish and, as you say, can be prepared in advance for visitors which is what I like.
Today I used flathead fillets, next time it will be chicken but you could also do a totally vegetarian one if you needed to.
You learn a recipe better after doing it so next time I will do some things differently.  I steamed the pumpkin for 35 minutes as mine was bigger & I managed to put a couple of holes through the skin when taking the flesh out so just wrapped the base of each half pumpkin in alfoil before I filled them. So be careful when removing the flesh. I cut the fish into 2cm cubes and although you could taste the fish in the finished product, it got lost so next time whatever I use, chicken prawns or fish will be cut into 5cm cubes. I cooked the mixture for less time - 9 minutes instead of 12 minutes on 1000C not varoma and I thickened it with 1 tablespoon of cornflour mixed with extra coconut milk.  Did not add tabasco. I couldn't get small butternut pumpkins, mine weighed 1.4kg so was far too much for DH and I to have a full half one each. After cooking I halved one to share and kept the other for another meal. Would try and find small ones if doing this for visitors.
I hate wasting steam so whilst the pumpkin was cooking, I put 5 medium sized whole, unpeeled potatoes in the steaming basket to make parmesan potatoes which went into the oven a little while before the pumpkin went in.  Well worth the effort so I will post that recipe.  Served with salad.
Thanks isi, it is a lovely meal.
Forgot to say, I put the excess pumpkin flesh aside and made pumpkin scones with it the next day.

VHJ - I used chicken thighs to make this for dinner and it was really tasty. It is an easy but elegant dish and really suitable for a dinner party. As usual Isi's recipe gives  great scope for personal preferences so you could use a variety of ingredients suited to your own tastes and come up with a winning meal every time. Another winner Isi.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:11:47 am by judydawn »

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Stuffed Pumpkin with Cod (or what ever you like)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:38:53 pm »
Another great Isi recipe - there's so many I need to try now....

In the UK we call this a "Butternut Squash" but I expect the Australians have another name for it.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »
Good one Isi - we call it a butternut pumpkin in Victoria, but others call it a butternut squash.

Unfortunately I just used my last piece of salt cod last night - could have tried this tonight - now have to wait until its desalted.

BTW (By The Way - or like PS) - not many Australians (Gertbysea is an exception !) would eat salt cod - so the chicken/prawns/fish might be the preferred protein here ;) )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:53:36 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:19:40 am »
Looks good Isi,  We call the salt cod Bacla and I only know of it being sold in Italian or Continental stores.  Butternuts are something that I always have on hand as it's a lovely pumpkin.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:30 am »
I love this idea isi - great for entertaining as it is something different and can be prepared in advance as you say.  Thanks again for your wonderful postings on this forum  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 06:08:18 am »
Fantastic Isi. This is just what I need to serve my SIL. I will probably substitute chicken for the cod although I can imagine prawns would work well. Thanks for another simple but elegant recipe Isi
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:17:18 am »
This looks lovely Isi and I have just been given a couple of butternut pumpkins.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:47 am »
We had this for lunch today isi - a great little dish and, as you say, can be prepared in advance for visitors which is what I like.
Today I used flathead fillets, next time it will be chicken but you could also do a totally vegetarian one if you needed to.
You learn a recipe better after doing it so next time I will do some things differently.  I steamed the pumpkin for 35 minutes as mine was bigger & I managed to put a couple of holes through the skin when taking the flesh out so just wrapped the base of each half pumpkin in alfoil before I filled them. So be careful when removing the flesh. I cut the fish into 2cm cubes and although you could taste the fish in the finished product, it got lost so next time whatever I use, chicken prawns or fish will be cut into 5cm cubes. I cooked the mixture for less time - 9 minutes instead of 12 minutes on 1000C not varoma and I thickened it with 1 tablespoon of cornflour mixed with extra coconut milk.  Did not add tabasco. I couldn't get small butternut pumpkins, mine weighed 1.4kg so was far too much for DH and I to have a full half one each. After cooking I halved one to share and kept the other for another meal. Would try and find small ones if doing this for visitors.

I hate wasting steam so whilst the pumpkin was cooking, I put 5 medium sized whole, unpeeled potatoes in the steaming basket to make parmesan potatoes which went into the oven a little while before the pumpkin went in.  Well worth the effort so I will post that recipe.  Served with salad.

Thanks isi, it is a lovely meal.

Forgot to say, I put the excess pumpkin flesh aside and made pumpkin scones with it the next day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 05:22:05 am by judydawn »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:56:45 am »
Thankyou isi, another one I'll be making, and thankyou Judy for your review and amendments, will find that handy.  I like the idea of using chicken or prawns, or chicken and prawns.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:03:14 am »
Funny thing with this meal is that DH doesn't really like pumpkin and his plate was so clean he must have licked it when I was not there - he takes 3 times as long as me to eat a meal so I am usually off doing something else.  He even ate the skin of the pumpkin (I didn't)  :o :o

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 05:10:37 am »
You can't get better recommendation than that Judy.  He'll probably be asking you to make it again soon.  ;D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:54 am »
I love your reviews JD.  Well done!  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:49:07 am »
Oh thanks Chelsea - I love yours too  ;) ;)  They are a great help though aren't they.  We just weren't getting enough of them in the early days of this forum but things have certainly improved in this area and it is not hard to come on here and let people know what you thought of a recipe. It acknowledges to the person who put the recipe on that it was worth their effort and encourages others to try it too.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:54:30 am »
JD, what a terrific review.   Worth revisiting if DH likes it.    What about scallops?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 01:16:51 pm »
They would be great too Chookie but you would have to be careful not to overcook them - they are so expensive!
Even a good old tin of tuna would work I reckon.