Author Topic: Nigella's choc chip banana muffins  (Read 65346 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Nigella's choc chip banana muffins
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:34:38 am »
Nigella's Choc Chip Banana Muffins

3 very ripe bananas
120g vegetable oil
2 eggs
250g plain flour
100g caster sugar
1/2 tsp. bicarb soda
1 tsp. baking powder
150g choc bits (original recipe uses butterscotch chips)....extra chips for sprinkling on top if you wish.

Preheat oven to 200c and line muffin pans with 12 large muffin papers, or around 17 if using smaller cases

add bananas into jug, and mix for 4 seconds, speed 7.
Scrape jug.  
Add the vegetable oil, and the 2 eggs and mix for 10 seconds, speed 4.
Add the plain flour, caster sugar, bicarb soda and baking powder.
Set to locked lid position, and set to interval speed  :: for 30 seconds.
Scrape down jug, then add the choc bits to the mixture.  Mix on interval  speed :: for another 30 seconds.

Fill muffin papers to 3/4 full, add extra choc chips on top if you like,  and bake for 18-20 minutes, or when skewer comes out clean.
Leave in tins for 2 minutes, then take out muffins and cool on wire rack.

Recipe makes 12 large muffins, or around 18 smaller

Members' comments

Eve -  they are OMG soooo good! I reduced the Interval times to 15 secs instead of 30 secs cause I didn't want to over mix and they are so light and fluffy. YUM!

Frozzie - only had 130g of choc chips but there were still plenty in each muffin.. the only thing that irked me in the recipe is all that oil!!! but they tasted nice so guess I can put it out of my head.  Thanks for the post maddy.

JulieO -  how lovely they are.  The only thing I will change next time is to decrease the sugar a little.  I did already as I added a sprinkling of Demerara sugar on the top before baking to add crunch, but will still use just a bit less next time. Great conversion Maddy, thank you.
I made a batch of these in Texas sized papers for DH's lunchbox (6).  Have frozen individually for him to help himself. I only used 80g sugar plus a little demerara to sprinkle on top for crunch. 

DeeCat - I made these and my 5 year old who doesn't like bananas liked these.

asha 76 - I can highly recommend these, they were so quick and easy to make and like many TM cakes there is hardly any washing up! I used half dark choc chips and half white.  If anyone did want to make them to the original recipe which uses butterscotch morsels, you can purchase them through USA Foods in Melbourne - http://www.usafoods.com.au/p5867/baking-goods/nestle-butterscotch-morsels/

Skain - they were fantastic! I reduced the oil quantity to 95g and added an extra egg - plus about an extra 30g of choc chips! I also only put in 50g of sugar and my husband who is a big sweet tooth thought that they were definitely sweet enough. I made them in the smaller kid size cupcake liners (cooked for 10 minutes) and have popped most in the freezer for lunch box fillers. It made about 35 at this size. I will definitely make these again! Thanks!

djinni373 -  made these today using Skain's mods (but not the extra chocolate). They were sweet enough for us with the 50g of sugar. Quick and easy and will be a lunchbox regular here. Thank you Maddy. Also really yummy with Quick caramel custard for a quick dessert.

Tsmacks - These were so good! Added some coconut to! Kids loved them Thank you!

Deniser - I made these yesterday to take on a picnic.  They disappeared very quickly and were delicious  - even though I only had two bananas in the freezer. Will try the modifications next time plus the correct amount of banana - but they were great just the way they were (I did reduce the sugar as DH is diabetic).  Thank you for a great easy recipe.

Rara1 - Absolutely scrumdiddlyumptious !!!

CC - These are just perfect Maddy. Made some this afternoon for DH and DS and they loved them.

amie78 - they are so good!  Thanks for the great conversion.  

Denzelmum - Made one without choc chips, we all enjoy it too...

Tasty -  made these yesterday but wasn't all that impressed with the flavour/texture although they looked and smelt good.

jakodai - they were great.

MamaMix - Yum!!! Just made these, used a bit less sugar and chocolate chips, will try cutting back on the oil and adding an egg next time - because there will DEFINITELY be a next time! Delicious!!! Thanks!!

Yvette - Just finished cooking these YUM.

MelT30 - Best Banana muffin recipe yet! Kids loved them! Normally I get an Oh they were alright response, this time they loved them! Going into a permanent section to keep! Thank You!

kt2 - These muffins are great! I make them for DD to take to kindy. I have tweaked the recipe slightly (to get more fruit into her) I use 4 frozen bananas, 120g of sultanas and 30g choc chips. I also put a couple of choc chips on top of each muffin.

Mills - Made these today using white choc chips and they were amazing.

jo nz - Just made these now - 48 mini muffins!!! That should keep the kids quiet for a few minutes.
YUM!!
Today's batch I added some cocoa with the flour, and used white chocolate chips instead.  Just for a change.

Jenmcguire - Well I wouldn't change a thing I think they taste lovely.

evepantany - quick and easy to make and sooooo yummy. Thanks for the great conversion.

Sarahm - Really, really silly question. Do I HAVE to use a muffin liner, or could I do with out it? Also, do you think I could substitute vegetable oil for coconut oil?

JD - You don't have to use muffin liners Sarah, they just present better if you do.  Grease your tins well though.
Here's some information about substituting coconut oil for vegetable oil - quite OK to do so apparently.

Debbiebillg - I made  these with coconut oil (same quantity) yesterday and again today as they vanished quickly ! The kids (and adults) loved them ! Very yummy !

jakodai - as anyone done the pureed apple substitute for the oil in this recipe? I want to have some of these, but I'm trying to watch what I eat, and there's just so much oil. I'm thinking that the sugar would probably need to be reduced if I add pureed apple? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Amy - I'm baking these right now and used some previously mentioned tweaks along with a couple of my own to create a healthier version.  I used:
4 bananas
50ml oil
3 eggs
150g wholemeal plain flour + 100g white plain flour
50g sugar
150g combined choc chips, dried fruit and nuts/seeds (I used dark choc, currants and chia seeds)
They are really yummy.

Yvette - I made these this morning and they are they are really yummy.

Lisa70 - made the mistake of not checking if I had all the ingredients first!. I halved the sugar, substituted canola oil for the vegetable oil and then realised I had run out of muffin cases as well!! I was hoping to make a quick batch before school pick up and because I was rushing.. absolute chaos! The kids still loved them so will try again and hopefully it will be a little more relaxed....

dede - These smell great. I am controlling my self not to have one right now (straight from the oven).

astarra - Made 2 batches. Only had 50gm of choc chips so used the mini choc chips as well. Also only used 60gm sugar in each batch.

KarenH - These are just wonderful!  Thanks for the conversion maddy! I used only 2 bananas, reduced the oil to 95g, used 3 eggs instead of 2, and only 60g of rapadura sugar.  I used caramel choc chips, which were yum! I milled the rapadura to caster sugar first while the TMX was dry, then just added the banana into that and followed the method from there - instead of adding the sugar with the flour. They came out beautiful and light and very tasty.  5/5.  Will definitely make again.

Tam - The girls really are really enjoying them and I have plenty to freeze (my muffin liners were HUGE but still managed 21 muffins ). Loved Karen's idea of blitzing the rapadura (I try and use it wherever possible) first as I think the texture would have been lighter if I did this so will try it out next time.  I used coconut oil and it worked beautifully. Thanks Maddy for posting!!!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:43:27 am by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: Nigella's choc chip banana muffins
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:03:52 am »
Yummo!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:17:48 am »
Double yummo

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »
They look supurb

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:49 am »
They sure do.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Eve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:47:04 am »
I made these today and they are OMG soooo good! I reduced the Interval times to 15 secs instead of 30 secs cause I didn't want to over mix and they are so light and fluffy. YUM!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:51:14 am »
Hi Eve, thanks for the review.  How about popping over to the Welcome thread so that we can all say hi to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
just printed this off, as I have heaps of mashed banana in the freezer.

Thanks,

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »
made these this afternoon....only had 130g of choc chips but there were still plenty in each muffin..the only thing that erked me in the recipe is all that oil!!! but they tasted nice so guess I can put it out of my head lol 

thanks for the post maddy  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
So excited to see banana's price going down.  Baking now...
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:07 am »
...it's good to see!
have been too busy to bake lately, but a I have a few perfect banana'a ready enough to turn into these muffins....thanks for reminding me about them  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:35:00 am »
Will be making these too in the near futre, now I can afford bananas again!!!!  I must admit have bought them and they have disappared in 2-3 days as its nice to have them in the house again.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:17 am »
Made these this morning, how lovely they are.   :D

The only thing I will change next time is to decrease the sugar a little.  I did already as I added a sprinkling of Demerara sugar on the top before baking to add crunch, but will still use just a bit less next time. Great conversion Maddy, thank you.  ;D

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
I made these last week. My 5 year old who doesn't like bananas liked these  ;)

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 06:43:51 am »
Thanks maddy!

I had five bananas to use up, my daughter asked for one to eat and when I ripped it off the bunch, the tops came off all five at once so I had to find something to cook with bananas and fast!

Flicking through my recipe books I came across this one and thought I would check the forums first on the off chance someone had already converted it...what a relief to find it here!

Anyway I can highly recommend these, they were so quick and easy to make and like many TM cakes there is hardly any washing up!

I used half dark choc chips and half white.  If anyone did want to make them to the original recipe which uses butterscotch morsels, you can purchase them through USA Foods in Melbourne - http://www.usafoods.com.au/p5867/baking-goods/nestle-butterscotch-morsels/