Author Topic: Oreo Cookie Pops  (Read 83607 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Oreo Cookie Pops
« on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:33 am »
As a few of you would know, I have a little obsession with Bakerella's cake pops.
Well I have been trying quite a few combinations, but the whole cooking the cake/cooling/processing/shaping/chilling......and on and on it goes....I wanted to find a quick and easy way.

Thought I'd share this,  which the basic recipe that came with the cutest cupcake molds, for making cake pops (and just wish it was my invention!)

Sorry for all the photo's you are about to endure  :P

OREO COOKIE POPS/BITES

300g   Oreo’s (comes in a twin pack 300g or 2 x single 150g packets)
100g   cubed Cream Cheese (softened & at room temperature) full fat is probably best to ensure they adhere to the stick

Place the full 300g of Oreo’s into  *:, and process for 15 seconds, speed 5 or until you have fine crumbs.
Add in the cubed/soft cream cheese, and program 2 minutes & 30 seconds on  :: speed.
The mix will combine together similar to dough.

Using a heaped Tablespoon amount (if using the cupcake pop mold), roll into balls and place on a tray with greaseproof paper, and pop into the fridge to chill for at least 20-30 minutes.

Once cooled, place into cupcake mold, squeeze shut and wipe away excess from edge of mold.

Gently remove the cake from the base of mold, and tap base gently on a flat surface (to help with a flat bottom shape) and place in the fridge to chill well, in readiness for dipping in chocolate & decorating.

Finished product

Of course you don't need a mold.....just leave in ball shape or whatever shape you choose.

A plastic egg container (like lock & lock), is great for transporting the pop bites, or letting the base of cake pops set.

Any left over chocolate can be poured into a silicone muffin tray, set then pop and store in airtight container for the next time (as long as there are no crumbs).

The cake pop mold can be purchased from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Cupcake-POP-Mold_W0QQitemZ130449502363QQcategoryZ13926QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4752486187945313332

Or the website for this clever little jig is here: www.MyLittleCupcakePop.com  or the blog here: www.MyLittleCupcakeBlog.com

members' comments

Maddy - I'm not really sure about freezing them. My only concern with freezing them before dipping, would be maybe excess moisture, which will spell disaster for dipping in the chocolate. I know I have rolled them up and left in the fridge for a couple of days, before dipping....and they were fine. Or this last lot, I finished them completely then have stored them in an airtight container in the fridge.  You would just need to let them sit out a little before eating.....so no one breaks a tooth.
Using a packet of Arnotts mint slice biscuits & 40-50g cream cheese is really lovely too (my fave so far)

johnro - thanks to the instructions I made this for an end of year treat for one of my classes but was lazy and left the mixture as a ball, used melted white choc, some slithers of spearmint leave lollies and some glazed cherries to produce a mini Christmas pudding - students loved them and they were more popular than the pudding using left over fruitcake.

RoxyS - I made Granny Cookie Pops - I started out intending to make teapots but found it way too fiddly so ended up with these, which I am quite happy with. I used a couple of 500g blocks of butter to put my sticks in for putting the pops in the fridge to set them as I didn't have any polystyrene. Also found that because of the heat I had to keep popping the rolled up "pops" back into the freezer to keep them going too soft as they kept falling off the sticks. Once I got that sorted it was fairly easy going.

BellaBear - I borrowed your idea and made them into little Christmas puddings for my daughter's Christmas concert tonight.  I just half dipped them in white chocolate and then let turned them immediately back over so the chocolate would run a bit.  The "holly" is made out of partially melted chocolate, shaped and painted and then stuck on with melted white chocolate.  I'm really proud of them for a first attempt. Thanks for the recipe!!

LeeJ - I love these although I often eat more mix then I make balls. A tip for the Christmas puddings is to buy spearmint leaves for the leaves, and jaffas halved for the holly.

JanineRK - I made these yesterday and decorated them as plum puddings (like BellaBear's) - they were SO yummy and a HUGE hit at the Christmas party we went too - thanks so much for sharing.

Cookie - I love these. The decoration isn't anything marvellous, maybe next time.

KarenH - Made these tonight for the first time, and had some difficulty with the moulding step. When I came to dipping them, I used the Nestle Melts (dark choc and white choc) and just melted the choc in the microwave.  The mixture seemed very thick and gluggy, and seemed to "congeal" on the cake pop, rather than coat it nicely and smoothly.  Any tips on how to get the choc a bit thinner and smoother? Having said all that - while each cake pop is far from perfect if you inspect them closely, en masse they look quite spectacular!  

maddy - Karen, just make the balls bigger, before putting in the moulds.  I make them about a heaped Tbsp. amount.  You will get excess mix ooze out, but that means the mould has filled correctly, and you will get that lovely cupcake shape.   Keep the excess, and add it to another ball if on the small size.  You'll get the hang of it. I also only take 2 out of the fridge at one time, as the chocolate balls stay firm enough for shaping.  If you take the whole plate out, they may get too warm and soft to mould into the cupcake shape.
As for the chocolate, I too use nestle melts.  Melt gradually on 50% power.  I then add to it 1-2 Tablespoons of melted copha.  Now what I think makes the dipping really easy and gives the chocolate a good dipping consistency, is using a little electric fondue pot.
It keeps the chocolate warm, and a nice runny enough consistency.  K-mart sell them too for around $12 (on special) - $19.00.  I first melt the chocolate in the microwave then transfer it into this fondue pot.  Any excess chocolate I have left over, I then pour into silicone cupcake moulds, chill and store in an airtight container for next time.  You just need to make sure that there is no crumbs in the chocolate. Alternatively, the chocolate will thicken up as it cools down, so give it periodic bursts in the microwave (at 50% power) and a good stir, to re-heat and keep thin enough for dipping. Hope that helps you.

KerrynN - Well the Puffle Pop Cakes were a success! For those of you who don't know, Puffles are the pets of the penguins that live on Disney's Club Penguin.  I used coloured coconut for their hair, and coloured white Nestle chocolate melts using powdered colouring for the bodies. For the sticks, I got some balloon sticks from Spotlight and DH cut them in half. Mini marshmallows for the mouths and eyes. I used feed corn (left over from another craft activity) to stand them up in. Worked OK but as soon as one moved the others close by tended to shuffle about too, so I would try something else next time. Oh and they tasted good too.

Denzelmum - Made this, no cake - just Cookie Pops.  Decided to make plain ball and heart shape (using IKEA silicone mold).  Big hit for the party.  My only issue I didn't put them properly on the vase so can't balance and make it standing nicely.  Ended up put most of them in the tray, but everyone really enjoy it. Maybe next time using TimTam instead of Oreo.

Moo2 - Oh Maddy! The mint slice ones!  We love them and I haven't even coated them yet. Will definitely have to make another couple of batches for Xmas as these ones are not going to last past tomorrow!

johnro - I made 2 batches yesterday - one with white tim tams with a handful of cranberries thrown in with the biscuits as well as the mint slice variety into which I put some pistachios.

maddy - I bought Speculaas (Dutch spiced biscuit) the other day, so I will make some balls with them.  I think the spice flavour will be perfect with the chocolate, and for Christmas. I do still favour mint slice, though tim tams are very popular too.

keiramax - Always an inspiration Maddy thanks for sharing.  I've attached my attempts at clown pops for my DS 1st birthday.  I couldn't make them the same so made the decision to make each one different.

KimmyH - Here's my first attempt at cake pops. I used some leftover Bimby choc cake I had in the freezer and cream cheese. The taste isn't as wow as Oreos would be but a good use of cake off cuts. Made a bouquet for a friends birthday then played around with decorations for the children. Thanks Maddy for the recipe and tips.

Amy - My first attempt at these.... maybe in 20 years mine will look as good as Maddy's. To be fair I was in a big hurry, was trying to dip and decorate them 30 minutes before I was supposed to be at the party. I did tim tams for plain chocolate and mint slices for choc mint.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:25:34 am by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
Re: Oreo Cookie Pops
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:32:08 pm »
Wow, they look amazing.  Gotta get one of those moulds.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:11:43 pm »
Absolutely loved the tutorial Maddy and as usual your photos are fabulous. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:56:38 pm »
Thanks maddy, those instructions are going to make it so much easier for me when I do mine.  The philly you used - that is the one in the block?  Low fat or full fat - does it make a difference to the setting capabilities?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:04:17 am »
Yes, I  just used the full fat block of c/c.  I don't think  using lite cheese  would effect it at all  ???
Would be interested to see.  The only possibility is it may be more softer, which could cause problems for dipping (if using a stick)....eg. the cake falling off the stick when dipping  :P

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 01:09:43 am »
Maddy I am inspired. I read in the paper this morning that Cake Pops are taking over from cup cakes and macarons as the new 'in' thing. Are they only for little girls or is it something everyone is enjoying? You can see I am behind the times re this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:27:29 am »
Are they only for little girls or is it something everyone is enjoying? You can see I am behind the times re this.

LoL....they've been around quite awhile, but Bakerella projected them to another level!

The decoration is totally optional.....here's some pics....not mine though.

It really is endless what you could create!

Have a look at Bakerella's blog.....so many ideas http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:35:06 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Melly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:39:13 am »
I can't wait to try these, my mould arrived yesterday :) they look so good, thanks for all the photos

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:47:05 am »
Thanks Maddy. They are amazing. The blog is very inspiring.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:09:31 pm »
Thanks for this Maddy, timing is perfect. We are expecting high 30º next week and I have DD's 6th b'day party next weekend so was wanting to make some cake pops but was thinking I didn't want to put the oven on so these will be perfect. I have bought lower fat Philly cheese so will let you know how they go. Can you freeze them, do you think?  If so, would you freeze them before or after you dip them in the chocolate?

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 01:55:38 pm »
Wow....you are and these are amazing Maddy!
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:28 pm »
Can you freeze them, do you think?  If so, would you freeze them before or after you dip them in the chocolate?

Roxy, I'm not really sure about freezing them  ???  My only concern with freezing them before dipping, would be maybe excess moisture, which will spell disaster for dipping in the chocolate.
I know I have rolled them up and left in the fridge for a couple of days, before dipping....and they were fine.
Or this last lot, I finished them completely then have stored them in an airtight container in the fridge.  You would just need to let them sit out a little before eating.....so no one breaks a tooth  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:21 am »
Your pics again Maddy are fabulous - thanks to the instructions I made this for an end of year treat for one of my classes but was lazy and left the mixture as a ball, used melted white choc, some slithers of spearmint leave lollies and some glazed cherries to produce a mini christmas pudding - students loved them and they were more popular than the pudd using left over fruitcake. I am planning to make them again in the next week so will post the pics (but won't be the quality of your photos - I asked a couple of questions re your pics following your post of the choc cake.

Thanks maddy - cheers
Robyn  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:21 am »
Thanks for the feedback Maddy. I will probably make them a couple of days before and just store them in the fridge as you say. Will try and remember to take photos. Your photos are great. I am making them for a Pink & Purple Picnic party so have to think of ways to decorate them. Liked the look of the cup & saucer ones that Bakerella had done.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 03:22:43 am »
Glad they were enjoyed Robyn  :) Perfect way to make little Christmas puds.

Roxy.....can't wait to see what you make.  Edible glitter always wins the girls over too  ;) 
.........EAT CAKE!