Author Topic: Maple and Cranberry Toasted Crunch  (Read 10295 times)

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
Maple and Cranberry Toasted Crunch
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:26:37 am »
I have this fabulous breakfast recipe that I would like to share with you all. Its easy, simple and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry yummy. DD3 has converted it to be gluten free. So it is very versatile. I have it with TM Yoghurt, DGS2 has it with rice /almond milk and everyone else has it with milk. DGS1 likes to eat it dry after school as a snack! ;D The trouble is that I found the recipe somewhere on line when I was still considering (longing for my TMX), I cut and pasted it into a word document and lost who and where it came from. I've searched but cannot find it again. How do I go about letting you all know about this great :) :) :) recipe? It's a 10/10 for all of my family.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
Re: Maple and Cranberry Toasted Crunch
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:10:26 am »
Google is your friend :)

Maple and Cranberry Toasted Crunch
NEED:
150g butter
150g Maple Syrup (please use the real deal!)
good pinch salt
2 tbsp vanilla essence
1 cup whole almonds
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
4-5 cups rolled oats
150g dried (as opposed to fresh) pitted dates
100g craisins
50g shredded coconut

DO:
Place butter, syrup, salt and vanilla into Thermomix bowl and melt together for 4 minutes at 60oC on speed 2. Set aside.
Meanwhile, spread nuts and seeds onto large flat tray and toast in hot oven for about 10-12 minutes until crunchy. Set aside to cool slightly.
Spread oats onto tray and drizzle with butter mixture. Stir and mix by hand until evenly distributed. Cook in 170oC oven for around 3o minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure edges are not overdone.
Place dates into Thermomix bowl and chop for 8-10 seconds on speed 9. Place into large mixing bowl.
Place cooled nuts into Thermomix bowl and with dial set to closed lid position, pulse on Turbo for less than 1 second, just to chop roughly. Add to mixing bowl.
Cool oats slightly before adding to the bowl.
Add craisins and coconut and mix by hand. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks…but it won’t last that long, I can assure you!

From: http://tenina.com/2009/07/sow-a-few-cranberry-and-pecan-wild-oats/
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:38:14 am »
Stupid question but are dried cranberries and craisins the same thing?

Actually not even sure I have dried cranberries... bought them from the health food shop lol

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:58:05 am »
Stupid question but are dried cranberries and craisins the same thing?

Actually not even sure I have dried cranberries... bought them from the health food shop lol
[/color]

Craisins are the sweet version of cranberries. DGS4 was actually put of this recipe as DD2 used dried cranberries, but loves the craisin version.
Thank you babymaker I can now acknowledge that this is Tenina's recipe. I was a bit worried by the copyright laws so didn't want to post it. Thank you Tenina for a great breakfast cereal. Can the recipe now be moved to the Breakfast area? Hope that lots of people out there try it as it is a wonderful breakfast/snack/treat.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:39:13 am »
So if you use cranberries you should add some sugar? lol I don't have craisins :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:48:43 am »
Should be OK - Tenina is acknowledged in the post with a link - should mean more hits back to her site for other goodies.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:21 am »
So if you use cranberries you should add some sugar? lol I don't have craisins Snoozie adding sugar won't make them any sweeter as the berry is very tart and doesn't take up the sweetness. That's why it didn't work for DGS4 (he has a very sweet tooth) but if you don't mind a bit of tartness it should be very nice especially with some yoghurt. :o

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:46:04 pm »
darn! I don't mind tart but the kids/dh...! l :-))

heehee

Will give it a whirl at any rate!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »
You can get craisins in the dried fruit aisle at Coles and Woolies, we go through bags of them as I use them in everything...including salads  :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:01 pm »
I assumed craisins are a hybrid of raisins and cranberries...

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »
No - dried (raisined) cranberries
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:57 am »
I don't normally eat this type of breakfast but last night I made a simple one (not using the TX) which I got from The Sydney Morning Herald Blog called Apple Granola and it was quite nice.

2 cups traditional rolled oats
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup flaked or slivered almonds
3/4 cup apple juice mixed with a dash of vanilla
2/3 cup raisins or your preferred fruit - I used dried apricots and sultanas

Mix the oats, nuts and seeds together in a bowl with half a cup of the juice.  Mix the dried fruit with the remaining liquid in another bowl.  Spread the oat/nut/seed mix onto a sheet of lightly oiled foil in a large baking dish or on a baking tray.  Spritz with a little oil and bake at about 160o for about 30 minutes. It's important not to let it get too brown so give it a stir every 10-15 minutes.  Remove the baked mixture from the oven then mix it with the dried fruit and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes but don't let it get too brown.  Package in a glass container and dress up with Christmas ribbons. (it was obviously a gift giving idea).
I had to keep a fairly close eye on it as it seemed to be getting a bit brown and I wasn't sure how brown it should be. I only did the last step for about 8 minutes though. Maybe a lower temperature because of a fan forced oven would be more suitable.  It's amazing how you will eat something you made yourself but would never try the bought variety. I love the idea in a Christmas hamper.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Re: Maple and Cranberry Toasted Crunch
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 10:47:46 am »
Made this again and it smells sooo good. I like to put it back in oven, turn off heat and leave overnight.