Author Topic: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  (Read 182760 times)

Mama Fergie

Re: Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2012, 03:52:39 am »
Thanks for that Hally  ;D

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:12 am »
I am making this tonight with double amount of chicken as family always want seconds.  Can anyone suggest how much I should increase the cooking time?  I am using free range breasts.  Thanks.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2012, 11:10:45 am »
Hope it's not too late GHM, I've doubled the chicken a couple of times when I've made this and not changed the cooking time at all...but I do make sure to check it just in case!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2012, 12:26:40 pm »
Thanks Jamberie, yes it still cooks in the same time so that is easy and there is still plenty of sauce.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2012, 12:29:17 pm »
Yes, it's a great recipe, easy, yummy and makes lots to feed lots! We usually soak up the left over sauce with the garlic naan and the cumin rice from the Fast & Easy Indian cookbook...yummo!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2012, 03:00:51 pm »
I am making this tonight with double amount of chicken as family always want seconds.  Can anyone suggest how much I should increase the cooking time?  I am using free range breasts.  Thanks.

Hi GHM.  The general rule of thumb for doubling or halving TMX recipes is to adjust the cooking time by 20%.  HTH.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2012, 12:56:42 am »
I also use 1 kilo of chicken thighs and cook for the same time  :)

Offline ajf

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »
As I'm new to being a thermo owner, please could you tell me do you use the butterfly when making the butter chicken??

Also is 100g tikka paste too much??

Can someone please confirm that if I've today made the tikka paste to marinate overnight do I then need to add all the similar ingredients tomorrow when cooking the curry.  I need to add ginger, coriander, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric and all this is already in the paste I made today.  I'm going off the receipe in the Indian cookbook.  Could someone please clarify quickly as I'm very confused now????  Thank you

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:48 pm »
As I'm new to being a thermo owner, please could you tell me do you use the butterfly when making the butter chicken??

Also is 100g tikka paste too much??

Can someone please confirm that if I've today made the tikka paste to marinate overnight do I then need to add all the similar ingredients tomorrow when cooking the curry.  I need to add ginger, coriander, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric and all this is already in the paste I made today.  I'm going off the receipe in the Indian cookbook.  Could someone please clarify quickly as I'm very confused now????  Thank you

Hi AJF.

no butterfly needed for this recipe.

100g of Tikka paste isn't too much, ESP spread over 500g of chicken. I often use that amount with just a breast for making chicken for a sandwich :)

Yeah you add the ingredients again, you don't need to let it marinate overnight if you don't want too but it will enhance the flavor.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
Hi ajf, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  I haven't used my Indian cookbook for ages, in fact my DD has it at the moment.  I do remember when making the tikka paste that I bagged it up for the freezer in 100g lots. You soak the chicken in the tikka paste and yes, you do then add those extra ingredients again.

As a newcomer you may not be aware of a review section on this forum.  Have a read of all the reviews of this recipe and you will see that it is not as hot as you think.  We don't like really hot, spicy food in this house but we loved it.

When you have time, why not pop over to the Introduce Yourself thread on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself so that we can formally welcome you to the forum.  
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ajf

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2012, 02:39:05 am »
Thanks for the clarification, it worked a treat!

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
this is one of my favorite dinners, but I have discovered that it is not such a good idea to make the paste and then the dinner a the same time.  It's gone 7 pm and we don't have dinner anywhere nearly ready and they are getting cranky!!! Next time I will pre cook the paste for a quicker mid week meal!

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:41 am »
Do you think this would work with commercial tikka paste if I haven't got time to make the full version? Is it ok to use chicken breast or is thigh better?
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2012, 09:22:31 am »
Yes you can use purchased tikka paste, it won't taste as good as home made but it will do the job TAT.  I daresay people have used both thigh fillets and breast fillets (one even used tenderloins) but I'm a thigh person myself.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:18 am »
Thanks Judy, I think I'm going to try this out on friends tomorrow, so won't have time to make my own paste! But I'll definitely give it a go, watch this space!
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/