Author Topic: Beef Rendang TM5 Cookbook, page 144  (Read 5337 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Beef Rendang TM5 Cookbook, page 144
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:02 am »
Wow!! Fantastic recipe!

So delicious. I made this with gravy beef and included everything as per recipe. I cooked it 10 minutes longer as suggested and placed it in the Thermoserver while cooking rice.  I toasted the coconut in the microwave.

Served with basmati spiced rice (just chuck in four cloves and four cardamom pods with a tsp salt) and cumin and turmeric mixed veg done in the wok. Superb. Delicious flavours. I'd make this again....and again!

Linked JD
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:47:30 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Beef Rendang TM5 Cookbook, page 144
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:31:35 pm »
I made this too and I thought I had done a review - its really nice. I don't think I've ever had Beef Rendang but this was enjoyed thoroughly. I'm down south and can't look at the cookbook, but if it called for toasted coconut I would just do it in the MW
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »
CP, the recipe just calls for dark toasted coconut, doesn't specify how you get it that way.

Also, must add, that after an extra 10 mins, my beef was still on the tough side. Another 15 minutes and it was fine. I cut it into very large pieces, 6cm square, as the recipe suggested.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:47:01 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »
I think I'll give this a go for dinner

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:41:42 pm »
CP, the recipe just calls for dark toasted coconut, doesn't specify how you get it that way. Only problem is, there's no instructions once it's pulverised and set aside. It just disappears from the recipe.

In my dtr's book it says to add at step 6 Megan.  :)

Offline bluebear_74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 01:18:48 am »
I'm Malaysian so I love Beef Rendang. Did anyone find it watery? Traditionally it's quite a dry curry with a very thick gravy. My brother made it and it looked like soup :/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:15 am »
CP, the recipe just calls for dark toasted coconut, doesn't specify how you get it that way. Only problem is, there's no instructions once it's pulverised and set aside. It just disappears from the recipe.

In my dtr's book it says to add at step 6 Megan.  :)

Thanks Julie, I re read it today, sans wine and found it! I've actually deleted the bits in my post mentioning the above.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 05:49:39 am »
bluebear, I used coconut cream instead of coconut milk and mine was thick and luscious.
The Bush Gourmand