Author Topic: Hello and thanks  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Bec77

• View Profile
Hello and thanks
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:58:13 am »
Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to receive my thermomix as a gift from my wonderful mother in law just before Christmas.  I had never seen a thermomix in action so there my thermie sat, on the kitchen bench, in its newly created spot, staring at me until after new year and I could get a demo. 

I hope it enjoyed its break because its been working hard since then   ;)

We have 2 children, a carnivorous teenage boy, and an 8 year old vegetarian.  Every night meal times were a challenge.  Having put in the effort to produce a meal that I knew would only half satisfy each of them, followed by the rants of "eat your veggies" and "just try the meat, you might find you like it", dinner at our house was quite frankly depressing.

Now, thanks to my thermie and your wonderful community, meal times are a very different story.  I started using your recipes that "hide" veggies.  After a few days the announcement came to teenage son that he had been quite happily consuming vegetables with no ill effect and he's actually far more willing to try them now-undisguised.  I was apprehensive that steaming chicken would make that much difference to its taste for DD, but wow was I wrong.  I think the combination of using fresh ingredients vs packaged preservatives, great flavoursome recipes and a new way of cooking has definitely helped turn our house around, so thank-you everyone.

Oh and I've lost 3kg  ;D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Hello and thanks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:52 am »
Hi Bec77 and a warm welcome to the forum, I see you have discovered the delights of owning a Thermomix pretty quickly, stick with the forum for great recipes and ideas.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:18 am »
Hello and Welcome Bec, great to hear TM has made you life easier and better already!  :)
What a great MIL!  ;D
:D

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:14:36 am »
Hello and welcome Bec. Glad the thermie is helping you at meal times. It definately is worth it's weight in gold.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:14 am »
That's wonderful Bec, and a bonus to lose weight. Welcome to our forum.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:56 am »
Welcome Bec. It  is lovely to read your success story with the thermomix. Happy thermomixing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:41:21 am »
Hi Bec77 thanks for sharing such an inspiring new start to owning a thermomix!  i think we are all a bit the same when we first get our TMX's too afraid to touch them - i wonder when they are going to make TMX with a built in Siri!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:05 am »
Hi and welcome.... :) :) :)

wait till you start making cakes so fast... ;D whoops
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:46:45 am »
Hello Bec and welcome. Great to see that your thermie had made life easier and lighter already ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:25:50 am »
Welcome and glad you are having fun with your new TMX ... just make sure you stay away from the cakes / desserts, etc. and you will be fine - I think most of us put on weight once we found the wonders of custards, cakes, pastry making etc. - these are dangerous, but sssoooooo lovely and super easy.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 04:32:20 am »
Welcome to the forum Bec.  You are so lucky to have lost weight - most of us have put it on!!!

Offline Bec77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:06 am »
Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome.  Yes my MIL is an absolute gem.  She was so inspired by her demo that she actually brought 3, one for each of us.  

I must admit it drove my husband nuts that something "with a turbo" sat untouched for over a week but it turned out to be a blessing.  I was able to read through all the information, sort out my pantry, stock up on my new pantry necessities and work out what to make.  

I really thought the best thing about the thermomix would be the amount of time it cut down in the kitchen but what I'm finding is a renewed love of cooking.  In the same amount of time I used to spend in the kitchen I can now cook 2 nutritious meals, one meat based, one vegetarian. Everyone is happy and trying new things.  

I have my theories on the weight loss but I'm not going to question, just enjoy it before those yummy sweets and desserts catch up with me lol

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 05:46:50 am »
Hi Bec and welcome to the forum.  What a wonderful MIL you have.  Glad to hear that you are losing weight I wish I could  :)
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

mcmich

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:10 am »
Welcome to the forum Bec. You have a very generous MIL. Glad you have a renewed love of cooking.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:34:16 am »
Hello and welcome Bec :D
I agree with the others, you have an extremely generous MIL!! ;D
Have fun cooking, and please do share your experiences with us on here :)