Author Topic: Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT p.54  (Read 7822 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT p.54
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:13:30 am »
How has everyone else gone with this recipe?  My experience was not good.  The recipe gave us the choice between chicken and vegetable stock.  I made mine with the usual ratio of vege stock concentrate to water.  I suspected no problem and continued to follow the recipe through to when we were instructed to drizzle with extra oil and sprinkle with salt.  Even though I make my VSC with way less salt the EDC demands, I should have known better than to add more salt.  I suppose I only wasted my time and a bit of polenta as there were not many ingredients in the mix, but I was really disppointed in the saltiness of the finished product and could not serve the dish.  I know not everything works out and I'm quite prepared to take blame for not tasting enough on the way through, but I was still deflated.  Please someone else cook it.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:15:21 am by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT p.54
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:51 am »
Cecilia, when I did Tenina's Tuscan Beef Stew with Polenta, I used some of the leftover polenta to make chips and they were lovely.  I have compared polenta recipes and there is a big difference in the amount of polenta both girls have used in their recipe, 100g difference.  Not that this was your problem, it was the salt content. It is definitely worth trying again but watching the salt next time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:03 am »
I have also made Tenina's polenta from the Dinner Spinner book and agree that it turned out delicious.  Definitely try her recipe next time

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:18:27 am »
I have made these and they were terrific.  I used bought chicken stock.  I followed the recipe to the letter and the only thing I could say was a 'fault' was they were a little more softer than I expected. But next time I probably would use a larger tray and not make them so thick.  The whole family enjoyed them and I made the aioli that went with them and that was divine.

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
    • alyce alexandra cookbooks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:21:15 am »
Hi cecilia,

I am sorry that the polenta chips didnt work out for you! Hopefully we can troubleshoot the problem - what type of polenta did you use? I'm thinking perhaps it may have been instant polenta which would explain the problem.

Alyce xo

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT Pge 54
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »
I made the Polenta chips from this recipe book and they were perfect! I've only had polenta once before this attempt and I was not a fan at all (I think it must have been the instant polenta, and it was very ordinary). However, I bought the proper polenta, as stated in the ingredients list, for this recipe and followed the method to the letter...apart from adding on an extra 10 minutes of cooking time (could have been my oven, but I like my chippies a little bit crisper...you know, with a few brown crunchy bits :)

The result....awesome chips! The extra cooking time made them a little more crispy which was to my liking. The method was so easy to follow and it worked a treat! Great recipe, great result!

Will I be making them again??? I already have!

I made the Spicy dipping sauce to go with them as suggested in the book and we had them alongside my cauliflower pizza!

Another winner from this amazing cookbook!  ;D

Linked - JD
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:09:26 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT Pge 54
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:47 am »
We love these too. They seem to absorb all sorts of flavours. Very tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Polenta Chips QFITT Pge 54
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 07:37:07 am »
Firstly, just wanted to say that there seem to be two review posts about polenta chips with the exact same title. Is it possible for one of the moderators to merge the two?

I thought I'd give this a go despite the fact that I did not have much success using polenta in pancakes for the first time this morning. Fairly simple process. I used vege stock concentrate to make the stock part. I also used baking paper to line a biscuit tin as I wasn't confident oil would make it nonstick. All went well. Like blackwood, I also needed to cook these for an extra 10-15 mins to crisp up.

The chips look appealing but have a strange texture. Somewhat jelly-like on the inside. They were ok and I preferred them as they cooled rather than hot.

I also made the spicy dipping sauce....I reduce the cayenne pepper to 1/4 teaspoon since I thought 1 would be too spicy but maybe 1/2 teaspoon would be better next time.

It went well with the chips however I think tomato chutney might be a better match, as suggested.

Don't think I'll be making these again though as I prefere potato or sweet potato baked chips instead.

Here is a photo:

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 07:54:38 am »
Have merged them Tasty, sorry about that.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:59:00 am »
no need to apologise....just something i noticed that i thought could be corrected

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:35 am »
I thought these were very nice. I used WW macro polenta and 2 teaspoons of vege stock paste and I threw in about 1/4 cup of parmesan for the last few minutes.  I loved the Rosmary flavour, found it came out of my oiled tray easily and cooked beautifullly on the AF basket that had been sprayed with oil. I wil definetly make again.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 08:29:05 am »
I would imagine that the AF would be perfect for these.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:52:27 pm »
I made these again the other night (and do so regularly) I should have mentioned in my previous post that not only to I cook them longer than stated in the recipe, but I also cut them more thinly that it shows on the recipe and on the video (I really do like my chips quite crunchy!)

We really like them and have served them both with the spicy dipping sauce and the tomato one.

I like to use a home made chicken stock to make them, or...even better...if I'm making shredded chicken in the thermomix (1L water, 1 clover garlic and some herbs in the bowl and the chicken thights/breast in the varoma for 25 mins) I then use the broth that it produces in this recipe...no waste! :)