Author Topic: Chicken Biryani (prepped in TMX, cooked on stove) with delicious photo :)  (Read 9866 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Name of Recipe:
Chicken Biryani
Adapted from the Diabetes Cookbook :)
Makes a lot! 4 - 6 serves

Ingredients:
250g basmati rice
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp cinnamon
800ml boiling water
30g olive oil
400-600g chicken, cubed (I used breast but will use defatted thigh next time)
1 large onion, peeled and halved
2 garlic cloves
3-4cm piece ginger, peeled
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 potato, chopped
2 tbsp medium strength curry paste
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon, extra
100g green beans, trimmed and halved
1/2 medium sized cauliflower, chopped
60-80g sultanas (I added some craisins and chopped dried apricot as well)
150g natural yoghurt, plus extra for serving if desired
1 small bunch fresh coriander

Method:
1. Chop coriander for 3-5 seconds/speed 6. Set aside.
2. Rinse rice in steamer basket and insert into TMX bowl. Sprinkle cardamom and coriander over rice, add water and steam for 10 minutes/varoma temp/speed 4. When cooked, set aside.
3. Empty bowl. Add 10g olive oil and heat for 1 minute/90 degrees/speed 1. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes/90 degrees/reverse + speed 1 or until browned. Set aside.
4. Chop onion, garlic and ginger for 5 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down bowl and add 10g olive oil, sliced carrots and chopped potato. Saute for 4-5 minutes/100 degrees/reverse + speed 1.
5. Add this point, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Empty ingredients from TMX into pan along with beans and cauliflower (I tried to fit in all in TMX but it just didn't work).
6. Continue to saute ingredients on stove for approximately 5 minutes or until all vegetables are slightly softened.
7. Stir chicken, yoghurt, turmeric, cinnamon and dried fruit through the vegetables. (I also added a few splashes of water here, about 1/3 cup.) Spread rice over the top but don't stir.
8. Cover pan with a layer of foil and then replace lid. Reduce heat to low for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and leave to stand for a further 5-7 minutes.
9. Remove lid and foil, add coriander to pot and mix all ingredients together well. Serve, with extra yoghurt if desired.

This was so delicious :D

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:56:02 am by judydawn »

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Wow!! Thank you Amy!! This looks absolutely wonderful!! Will get the chicken tomorrow.. seem to have everything else!! :)

• View Profile
Thanks GF, I really hope you enjoy it! :D I'm so proud of myself, and so grateful to Judy for her advice ;) ;D

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
Judy.. Thank you too!! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks but I didn't do much really - a bit of googling and finding some things Thermomixer said a while back and Amy has managed to have great success doing her version of this recipe.  It looks fantastic and I'm going to have to cut the quantity down and try it myself.  How many would you say your recipe serves Amy?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Looks yummy Amy.

• View Profile
Thanks Kimmy :D And Judy :-*

I would say this feeds 4-6, depending on appetites :)

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
Hi Amy - when you say cardamom - is that the pod form or ground?

• View Profile
GF, I used ground because I didn't have any pods. If you use pods I'd be interested to hear how you go :)