Author Topic: Butter Currant Crisp Biscuits  (Read 4105 times)

Offline helbels

• View Profile
Butter Currant Crisp Biscuits
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »
This is my first recipe posting on here - I've only had my Thermomix 3 weeks and it's a converted recipe, so please excuse any silly instructions/mistakes - I'm sure you seasoned Thermomixers will soon be along to tell me how the recipe can be improved for the future!  

These biscuits are an old family favourite.  They are not the prettiest biscuits you'll ever see, but they are MIGHTY tasty - soft, chewy, buttery, and rather moreish.  You need to watch them like a hawk once in the oven, as they go from "just right" to "too brown" in a matter of seconds.  Don't worry if they do go overbrown though - they will look ugly but still taste good!!

Butter Currant Crisp Biscuits

NB: The recipe calls for currants, but I actually prefer to use raisins, as I find the currants can go a bit hard in the oven if you aren't careful!

100g unsalted butter (let soften out of the fridge for a few minutes before making)
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
100g currants (or raisins!)
100g desiccated coconut

Makes about 24

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.  If you need to make your caster sugar in the Thermomix, do this first and leave it in the thermomix bowl.

1.  Add sugar and butter to bowl (Keep the butter in largish lumps)
2.  Fit Butterfly.  Mix for about 1 minute at speed 3.   Remove Butterfly and scrape down sides of bowl.
3.  Add flour and coconut.  Mix Speed 3 for about 1 minute or until until combined. Add currants (or raisins).  Mix  :-: Speed 3 for about 30 seconds or until combined.
4.  Using your hands form the mixture into walnut sized balls and place well apart on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.  Flatten each ball slightly with a fork.  You may need to cook in 2 batches depending on the size of your oven.
5.  Place into hot oven for approximately 7 minutes until light brown - watch them closely from about the 5 minute mark to avoid them getting overcooked :o
6. Remove from oven and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes to firm up, before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
7.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:02:25 pm by helbels »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Currant Crisp Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:42:46 pm »
Looks like a lovely recipe helbels but it's recommended that you don't use over speed 4 when the butterfly is in place. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline helbels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
Oops sorry that's a typo!  Should be Speed 3,  I will fix it, thanks for pointing it out!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »
Well done for your first recipe conversion, sounds yummy. Will have to give this one a try to feed all these hungry kids :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:31:46 am »
These sound delicious. Will definitely make them when I get home.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:30:40 am »
Thanks for your first recipe conversion helbels, I'm sure this won't be your last as it does become a little addictive.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:09:48 pm »
Thanks for this recipe helbels :)

I'll make these tomorrow for SD, he will love them with raisins ;D

Offline helbels

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 10:00:51 pm »
Just edited the recipe - had another go today and found a much better way to make them that didn't result in the raisins getting smashed up.  Also lowered the oven temperature a bit - they took slightly longer, but came out a much more even brown.

Enjoy!