Author Topic: Green Tomato Recipes Please  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Delveen

• View Profile
Green Tomato Recipes Please
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:13:53 am »
 :o I have a couple of kilos of green plum tomatoes. I'd love a recipe for relish, chutney, jam. Can anyone of you good cooks help me out????
Regards Delveen

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Green Tomato Recipes Please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:27:54 am »
I have a recipe for Green Tomato Pickles but I have not used it in TMX.
1.25kg green tomatoes
2 onions
120g cooking salt
250g sugar
500ml cider vinegar
60g sultanas
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsps curry powder
2 tsp cornflour
1. Slice tomatoes and onions into thin rounds.Combine salt and add enough water to cover in glass bowl. weigh down with a plate to keep them submerged. leave to stand overnight.
2. Drain the tomato and onion and rinse well. Place in a large pan and add sugar, vinegar, sultanas, and spices. Stir over low heat for 5 mins until sugar has dissolved.
3. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 min, stirring often until veggies are soft.
4. Add 2 tsp water to the cornflour, mix well and stir into the mixture. Stir over medium heat until it boils and thickens.
5. Spoon immediately into clean, warm jars and seal. Leave for 1 month before opening to allow the flavours to develop.

Think it would convert well for TMX.  ;)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:30:58 am »
There is a Green Salsa Recipe on here.  ;)
 http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=407.0

Offline Delveen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 03:43:09 am »
Yummy I'll have to give this a try. I'd love a relish recipe too.
I have a recipe for Green Tomato Pickles but I have not used it in TMX.
1.25kg green tomatoes
2 onions
120g cooking salt
250g sugar
500ml cider vinegar
60g sultanas
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsps curry powder
2 tsp cornflour
1. Slice tomatoes and onions into thin rounds.Combine salt and add enough water to cover in glass bowl. weigh down with a plate to keep them submerged. leave to stand overnight.
2. Drain the tomato and onion and rinse well. Place in a large pan and add sugar, vinegar, sultanas, and spices. Stir over low heat for 5 mins until sugar has dissolved.
3. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 min, stirring often until veggies are soft.
4. Add 2 tsp water to the cornflour, mix well and stir into the mixture. Stir over medium heat until it boils and thickens.
5. Spoon immediately into clean, warm jars and seal. Leave for 1 month before opening to allow the flavours to develop.

Think it would convert well for TMX.  ;)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:08:29 am »
Delveen,  are you still looking for green tom recipes ?   I have just made green tom pickle, chutney and green tom sauce, ( looks funny but tastes good ).  On the web I found recipes for green Tom fruit mince and green tom. cake.