Author Topic: Cheese Sauce - Vegan, wheat, soy free, failsafe, the BEST.  (Read 5427 times)

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
Cheese Sauce - Vegan, wheat, soy free, failsafe, the BEST.
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:43 am »
http://crunchworthy.blogspot.com/2012/11/that-cheese-sauce-vegan-wheat-egg-soy.html

I've popped Aileen's 'Golden Sauce' up on my blog, with her permission. This has been a wonderful sauce, that has opened up many options in our restricted diet.

Think, nice alfredo sauce :)

Ingredients:
 400grams White Potato - peeled
 80grams Carrot (Moderate Salicylates)
 1 Bunch of Spring Onions - white parts
 100grams Raw Cashews
 500grams Water
 20grams of 'Lemon Juice' - http://failsafefoodie.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/substitute.html
 60grams Celery
 2-3 teaspoons of Salt (this gives it the real cheesy kick, adjust to desired amount)

Place all ingredients in to Thermomix.

Cook for 20 minutes, 100 degrees, on speed 2, reverse.

Pulverise on speed 9 for 60 seconds.
 Adjust consistency to taste by adding more water or salt if necessary.

Use as a pasta sauce, dip, to make nachos, to make cheesy/chicken pies, on pizza. It tastes great on everything!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Cheese Sauce - Vegan, wheat, soy free, failsafe, the BEST.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:57:21 am »
Thanks for putting this recipe up.  I made it for the first time last week and intend making it again today, but have left my Rainbow Recipes book elsewhere.  I was dreading slogging through the internet trying to see if I could find it.

It is a lovely sauce - perhaps just a bit too thick, but worked really well as macaroni with cheese.  I have been experimenting with quite a few vegan cheese sauces recently and this is certainly the best one yet.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Cheese Sauce - Vegan, wheat, soy free, failsafe, the BEST.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:30:18 am »
I ended up adding c. 650 ml water, some mustard and a whole onion as I didn't have spring onions available (but onion is in the original recipe, anyway).

Worked much better with the extra water, really looked like cheese sauce and had a lovely taste.  I think I've cracked my vegan cheese sauce dilemma.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.