Author Topic: Chicken in Yoghurt  (Read 61549 times)

Offline Mixman

• View Profile
Chicken in Yoghurt
« on: July 26, 2008, 10:15:33 am »
Name of Recipe:Chicken in Yoghurt  ;D
Number of People: 6
Ingredients:

40g Oil
2 small Onions, peeled and quartered
2 hot fresh Green Chillies, or to taste
10g fresh Coriander - save a few leaves for the garnish
20g Ginger Root, roughly cut
10g cloves Garlic
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 tsp Ground Coriander
½ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Salt
100g Water
500g Chicken, cut into 2 to 3cm pieces
70g Tomato purée
500g thick Plain Yoghurt
A few torn coriander leaves to garnish (optional)

Preparation:

Place oil into TM bowl and cook for 1 minute at Varoma temperature on speed 1.
Add onions, chillies, fresh coriander, ginger and garlic into bowl. Mince for 10 seconds on speed 5.
Scrape down the sides and lid of the TM bowl with the spatula.
Cook for 5 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2. Leave MC off.
Add dry spices and salt, sprinkling them onto the onion mixture.
Cook for 3 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2 with the MC off.
Add water and cook for 5 minutes at Varoma Temperature on speed 1 with the MC on.
Add chicken, tomato purée and yoghurt into TM bowl. Stir with the spatula to push the meat under the surface of the sauce.
Cook for 20 minutes at 100°C on Reverse + speed soft with the MC on.
Taste and adjust seasoning and add a little more salt if necessary.

Hints/Tips:

Serve with Pilau or Basmati rice and a nice rocket salad (with fresh feta cheese and balsamic vinegar) :D :D :D :D

members' comments

Katya - it was absolutely delicious - very healthy too as I used 2% yoghurt.

porl - unless you like dry meat and I know a lot do, I suggest cut off the bone meat rather than breast meat. I cut the meat from 5 chicken drumsticks (you could use thighs), used the bones to make stock for another time. It was great, almost had a citrus bite to it. The kids mopped it all up, including the rice cause that's where the sauce ended up. Will be making this again for sure.

cathy79 - It was delicious and very easy.  Love that I had everything I needed already, no special shopping. This is a real departure from my "normal" cooking as I've never cooked with chilli before and never used so many spices.  I used 1/2 tsp of masterfoods chilli, and it was delicious.  Next time I'd reduce the oil as I had to keep stirring it back in when it separated. We had the leftovers next day.  The flavours are even better.  So this would be a great dish to make a day ahead.

JD - Made this to use up my homemade yoghurt.   Deliciously tangy but not overly tangy, very nice indeed.  I mixed 2 tblspns cornflour to the yoghurt before adding it into the TMX and this thickened the juices perfectly for me.  I used chicken thighs, my favourite cut of chicken & used the full quantity of oil (rice bran oil ) and had no trouble with it separating.

Thermomixer - You certainly could reduce the oil - maybe add some water to help while cooking the onions.  JD, adding the cornflour would help amalgamate the oil and stop it coming out when it sits.

Babymaker - Yummy!

AGGY - very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Sundari - 5 stars for this recipe made it last night (using red chilies as that us what I had) and used tmx home made yoghurt.

Caroline J - it was delicious!  Thanks for the recipe.

Millipede - My DH and I really like the fresh tangy flavour of the yoghurt sauce but my kids thought it was too spicy. I am going to keep serving it up anyway as it really isn't that 'hot', more a bit of a spicy tang that I think they will get used to after a few goes. 

Bellabear - it got a definite thumbs up from the Bears (even BabyBear).  I added the cornflour to the yoghurt and the sauce was deliciously thick and creamy.  Yum.  I'll definitely be making this one again.  Thanks!

Zan - made it and loved it!

Hestonfan - Lovely dish! I had finished the tomato purée and used sundried tomatoes and blended them with the onion mixture. Added cornflour and cashew nuts. It was a lovely sienna colour and delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

Terese - it was really lovely.  I love the use of yoghurt instead of coconut milk, it really does give it a light citrusy flavour.  I used chicken breast and cooked for the full 20 minutes but would probably cook for a bit less next time as the chicken was a little dry from over cooking.  I also added a handful of unsalted cashews during the last 10 minutes of cooking which added a lovely texture.  Would definitely make again.

Debbiebillg - the kids (6, 4 and 2) gobbled it down. I used chopped chilli in a bottle but only used one tsp since the kids were eating it.  No problems getting them to eat their dinner tonight.  We had it with some frozen raw paratha's / roti bread you buy at the Indian shop and you quickly dry fry them in a frying pan.  They're so yummy, the kids love them too to put their curry on. Thanks for the recipe, ideal kids version of a curry.

tarasis - We made this (though with red, not green Chillies, as we don't normally have Chillies we don't know how much of a difference that made). We both thought it was scrummy if a touch too hot (lovely taste then hot after taste). We're thinking of leaving out the Chillies (or using only one) next time.

farfallina - It was quite spicy and tasty. My husband and I both liked it. Thanks a lot for sharing. Since I've used home-made yogurt and not a thick one, judydawn's tip was very helpful.

kyton - Used 1kg breast fillets and even though my yoghurt is extremely thick it was too runny so I thickened with some cornflour in milk.
Really lovely - the 6 yo had two servings.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:45:03 am by judydawn »

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Chicken in Yoghurt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:05:32 pm »
I cooked this today and it was absolutely delicious - very healthy too as I used 2% yoghurt. ;)

Offline porl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:44:43 am »
This is the sort of recipe I am dead keen to try, cut and pasting to my home emial address, hope to add my own someday soon.  Though unless you like dry meat, and I know a lot do, I suggest cut off the bone thigh meat rather than breast meat.  Better still I'll be making this with pieces on the bone.

Offline porl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 06:44:56 am »
Well I used the recipe, near enough sort of thing as i was using 2/3rds of the portions.  Cut meat off a $1 "on special" set of 5 chicken drumsticks, used the bones to make stock for another time.

It was great, almost had a citrus bite to it.

The kids mopped it all up, including the rice cause that's where the sauce ended up.

Will be making this again for sure.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:57 pm »
Made this last night.  It was delicious, and very easy.  Love that I had everything I needed already, no special shopping.

This is a real departure from my "normal" cooking as I've never cooked with chilli before, and never used so many spices.  I used 1/2 tsp of masterfoods chilli, and it was delicious.  Next time I'd reduce the oil, as I had to keep stirring it back in when it separated.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:49:04 am »
Thought I'd try this one today in my quest to use up my homemade yoghurt.   Deliciously tangy but not overly tangy, very nice indeed.  I mixed 2 tblspns cornflour to the yoghurt before adding it into the TMX and this thickened the juices perfectly for me.  I used chicken thighs, my favourite cut of chicken & used the full quantity of oil (rice bran oil ) and had no trouble with it separating - what type did you use CB79?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:11:50 am »
You certainly could reduce the oil - maybe add some water to help while cooking the onions.  JD, adding the cornflour would help amalgamate the oil and stop it coming out when it sits.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 11:14:29 am »
Fair enough, I can understand that now that you have pointed it out.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »
We had the leftovers last night.  The flavours are even better.  So this would be a great dish to make a day ahead.  I might try the cornflour trick to stop it separating - purely for appearance.

This one will definitely be a regular in our house.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:28 am »
Yummy!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:37:20 am by judydawn »
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:24 am »
Good work Baby maker
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 10:36:21 am »
I love this type of recipe
This I will certainly try!
Thanks for sharing

@ babymaker - your picture makes me do it faster-  ;) - beautiful

Offline AGGY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:24:56 am »
I made this tonight - very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 11:22:27 pm »
Good to hear you are having some success with the machine  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 12:09:00 am »
sorry - me again :)
Can someone tell me what MC means??
thank´s