Author Topic: Sauce Bearnaise  (Read 49419 times)

Offline fussykidsmum

• View Profile
Re: Sauce Bearnaise
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:52 am »
Hi Everyone.

New here!  Need some advice please ???

Tried the Bearnaise last night - separated completely (don't think my eggs were fresh enough  :-[)

Tried again tonight with new eggs, but still separated - just not quite so bad. 

I  really want to master this one - any ideas?

.... and while I'm asking - any good white bread roll recipes?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:51:13 pm »
Haven't done the bearnaise sauce FKM but for rolls I use isi's normal bread recipe on the forum (adjusting the qty of flour and leaving out the seeds).

For a soft white roll, this one from the UK Thermomix site http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=46

or this one is supposed to be pretty good too http://tenina.com/2009/11/the-best-rolls-ever-just-ask-my-niece

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:52 pm »
FKM,  plain white rolls,  no fuss.

520g white flour
2 teasp. dried yeast. 
300mls. warm water
1 teasp. each of sugar and salt

Place in bowl, knead for 4 mins
Leave in bowl until double
Form into rolls or loaf, spray with water
Leave to rise to double
Bake in pre heated oven, 210c. for 20 mins

The whole process will take less than 2 hours
s

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 07:17:31 am »

Tried the Bearnaise last night - separated completely (don't think my eggs were fresh enough  :-[)

Tried again tonight with new eggs, but still separated - just not quite so bad. 

I  really want to master this one - any ideas?

Try adding the egg yolks first and whipping then small amounts of the butter, softened while the machine is still beating (set it for a couple of extra minutes) & then finally the lemon juice?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 08:52:19 pm »
Funny as i browsed the vegetarian section and found this sauce with a nice picture :)

Sauce Bearnaise is most common served with steaks, boiled or fried fish, broiled chicken. Not very vegetarian :)

Anyway its a nice recipe and it goes well to many dishes.

As Bearnaise is a member of the Hollandaise family the same procedure as making Hollandaise can be followed.

Make sure that the eggs are room temperature. Dont heat the sauce up to more the 85 Celsius and not below 60.
If the sauce curdles then add a spoon of cold water.

Left over sauce can be refrigerated and stored for about 2 days. To reheat the sauce the easiest way is a Bain Marie or in a microwave at the lowest possible heat.  Also you can use a sauce pan and heat up a couple of spoons and then whisk in the rest but at VERY low heat. One trick used by most chefs, is to put a hand on the side of the pot, and if you cant hold your hand on the pot then you remove it from the fire.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:15 am »
FKM,  plain white rolls,  no fuss.

520g white flour
2 teasp. dried yeast. 
300mls. warm water
1 teasp. each of sugar and salt

Place in bowl, knead for 4 mins
Leave in bowl until double
Form into rolls or loaf, spray with water
Leave to rise to double
Bake in pre heated oven, 210c. for 20 mins

The whole process will take less than 2 hours
s
Good thing I wrote this down at the time of the posting Chookie or I would never have found it again in this thread.  Made these last week and they were excellent. Crunchy top but not too crunchy and with a lovely soft centre.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 07:36:53 am »
Made this tonight.  It was good although next time I would use half a tbsp less of vinegar.  I didn't strain it as when I started to the strainer was also. Holding back the tarragon

I would also add a tablespoon or 2 of water to thin it down a bit
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:57:43 am by auds »

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 11:35:50 am »
Made this tonight for a valentine's day dinner, served with some fillet steak.  Steak bearnaise is my husbands favourite dish, and I was rapt with how easy it is to do with TMX.  I didn't seive either, due to laziness, but much of the shallot got caught on the butterfy so, I thought the texture was okay anyway.  I only added a squeeze of lemon rather than 2 tbspoons and we liked the spooning, rather than, pouring consistency.  How easy, no double boiler, no whisking in butter a cube a time, would be tempting to make more often, but I also made Nigella's instant chocolate mousse (was yummy, alhtough not instant) and I am feeling the effects of having had so much butter and cream!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 03:01:43 pm »
Made this tonight for first time (my eggs were still in fridge instead of room temperature) and substituted thyme for tarragon as didn't have enough.

Lovely and tangy and complemented peppery herb crusted steak very well (will post recipe on forum)

Here's a photo: