Author Topic: Butter of cream or creme fraiche?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline henrikc

• View Profile
Butter of cream or creme fraiche?
« on: December 23, 2011, 06:56:52 pm »
Hi Friends,
May I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, please.

Most of the suggestions I have seen for buttermaking with the TMX refers to cream as raw material.
However, in this end of the world, the tradition is to make it of sour cream or creme fraiche, which then also generates the sour milk as byproduct, which is very good for baking.

I also trust the sour cream (38% fat) also generates a more tasteful butter?
Please let me have your views.

I have made a blog in Danish for all the Danish knowledgeable here (?)...and if not so fluent in Danish, please have a look at the pictures, where I make butter with parsley, to accompany a good beef roast.

http://thermomix-danmark.blogspot.com/2011/12/prv-at-lave-friskt-smr.html

Best rgds
H
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:54:44 pm by henrikc »

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Re: Butter of cream or creme fraiche?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:08:31 pm »
Link is not working

Offline henrikc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Thank you so much for pointing out the miss...

I'll try again:

http://thermomix-danmark.blogspot.com/2011/12/prv-at-lave-friskt-smr.html

Sorry for the mistake....and please have a look!

Thank you,
Kind regards
Henrik

ElsieD

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 10:52:35 pm »
In Canada, I buy only cultured butter which your recipe would make.  But, I can only get 30% fat sour cream here.  Do you think that would work?  For those folks who don't speak Danish (which includes me) I copied and posted the blog entry into Google translator and it did a good enough job for me to be able to follow the instructions.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »
Henrikc, thanks for your Christmas wishes and glad to hear the machine is fine now.  The pictures were enough for me to see how successfull your butter was so that gives us another option.   Merry Christmas to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline henrikc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:12:44 am »
In Canada, I buy only cultured butter which your recipe would make.  But, I can only get 30% fat sour cream here.  Do you think that would work?  For those folks who don't speak Danish (which includes me) I copied and posted the blog entry into Google translator and it did a good enough job for me to be able to follow the instructions.

Hi ElsieD,
I do not know if 30% will work, but i trust it will.
I have found a recipe, where half a liter of cream is mixed with 100 ml of buttermilk, for taste I assume, which brings the fat content to about 32%....and that separates into butter OK.
Experience is, that 18% does not work.

If 30% fails, just put it back in the fridge to relax and get the viscosity back, as it will likely thin a bit after the vigorous stir.

Please let us know how your experiments develop.

Great idea to use Google Translate to understand my scribble..I am curious to hear if  the bread instruction understandable?
It does not involve the TMX, but I must say it is really good and has changed the way i bake.
Basically supporting the idea, that the dough does not need a lot of kneading....and in line with the use of the TMX,  initially a yeast dough just need to be brought together, and longwinded stretching of the gluten is not important!

Best rgds H

Offline henrikc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »
As a followup on my own question, I have now also made butter from 38% cream, and the taste out of the jug after salting was more like whipped cream than butter.
I suppose it is a question of taste which is better, but I think I'll stay with the sour cream or creme fraiche.

As a remark to using Google translate used on my blog http://thermomix-danmark.blogspot.com/2011/12/prv-at-lave-friskt-smr.html
it does make some meaningless translations, not least in my bread recipe. Important is flour to water ratio, which should be 100:75, or if 400g flour is used, the amount of water is 300g.

I'll take the opportunity now to wish you all a happy and prosperous new year!

Henrik

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »
If you only have fresh cream you could let it ripen before you use it. Just leave it outside fridge for a day or so.