Author Topic: Coq au Vin  (Read 30766 times)

Offline Nigel Day

• View Profile
Coq au Vin
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
Name of Recipe:
Number of People:
Ingredients:

Preparation:

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

Coq au Vin:
Number of People:4
Ingredients:
1 Chicken- Chopped into 6-8 pieces
70g bacon
15g Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves
150g of onions
100g of carrots
150g of fresh mushrooms
600 ml red wine
1 tomato
2 bay leaves
1 tsp of provincial herbs
Pepper and salt

Preparation:
Place the olive oil, onion (coarsely chopped) , and garlic into the Thermomix bowl. 3 mins, 100ºC Spped 1. Put the bacon in and put on speed 5 for a few seconds.
Put the chicken, chopped carrots, bay leaves into the bowl and fix the lid on. Cook for 5 mins 100ºC, counter clockwise. Then add the wine, chopped tomato, salt and pepper then program for 35 mins, temp 100ºC, counter clockwise.
Take out the chicken and vegetable pieces from the sauce and place in your serving dish. Add the fresh mushrooms and cook in the sauce for 15 mins, Varoma temp, counter clockwise.
Then carefully pour the sauce in the dish where the chicken and vegetables are.

Hints/Tips:
Great served with rice or even home made creamy mashed potatoes.

members' comments

ManchesterU - nice recipe. I read somewhere that you can use the same recipe, but placing the chicken with rabbit. So I tried and it's tasty. Thanks for the recipe....

JD - Firstly, thanks Nigel for posting this recipe and I apologise for not trying it sooner.  Delicious!
Absolutely loved this one and it will be on my list of dishes to serve up to friends.  Made a few changes to suit me but would be OK just as is for others.  I used 6 skinless, boneless, defatted chicken thighs (left them whole as they do break down during the cooking process) and because I didn't have any tomatoes, I used a tablespoon of tomato paste (this would add more flavour than a tomato anyway).  For the provincial herbs I made a bouquet garni with fresh herbs from my garden using 2 bay leaves, 3 sprigs parsley, 1 sprig of sage and 2 sprigs of thyme. I tied it all together and put it in with the chicken and removed it after cooking the mushrooms. There are no speeds given in the recipe so I cooked the chicken for 5 minutes on speed 1 with MC in place then once the wine was added I continued on speed 1 with the MC off as there is a lot of liquid there and you need to reduce it somehow.  When the chicken was removed and the mushrooms added to the liquid (again cooked on speed 1 with MC off for the 15 minutes) I put some extra vegies in the varoma dish (cauli, broccoli and pumpkin - small pieces) and these cooked whilst the mushroom sauce was cooking. I thickened this sauce with a small amount of cornflour (1 heaped tablespoon) mixed with some water and kept the chicken and sauce warm in the thermosaver whilst I cooked some potato for mashing.  I left the vegies in the varoma to keep warm whilst the potato was cooking and the chicken stayed hot enough in the thermosaver.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:37:29 am by judydawn »

Offline ManchesterU

• View Profile
Re: Coq au Vin
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »
 ;D :o ::)

nice recipe. I read somewhere that you can use the same recipe, but placing the chicken with rabbit. So I tried and it's tasty.

Thanks for the recipe....

Offline JM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:58:49 am »
Quick question - what constitutes provincial herbs?  I can do italian but that's about it - otherwise I'm clueless.  Thanks

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:16 pm »
Hi JM, I had this recipe on my list to do this week so your question interested me.  Have been googling for a while and come up with the fact that Provincial herbs are French and most recipes I looked at seem to include a sprig or two of thyme and parsley plus a bayleaf, all tied together and removed at the end of cooking (like a bouquet garni).  I have all of these growing so will be using the fresh variety but maybe there is a dried version of provincial herbs in the supermarket.  I will be posting my thoughts on the recipe once I have done it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:38:47 am »
Have just checked ingredients on my Hierbas Provenzales, and it says
Rosemary, parsley, oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil, with traces of celery and mustard. Hope this helps ??? ??? ???
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:06:49 am »
Probably better interpreted as Provencal ( as in from Provence).  Herbes de Provence as judydawn & bron say, is a mixture of various bits. 

Google it - one link: http://frenchfood.about.com/od/dressingpreservessauces/r/herbesdeprov.htm
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:14:02 am »
Thank you all very much. I googled it, but wasn't really successful, I think I need to work on my google technique.

I have most of these herbs growing in my garden which is great so Coq au vin is now on the menu for next week.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:05 am »
Thank you all very much. I googled it, but wasn't really successful, I think I need to work on my google technique.

I have most of these herbs growing in my garden which is great so Coq au vin is now on the menu for next week.  :)

Let us know how it goes .

BTW  - I am amazed at how many entries there are for provincial herbs in Google search. 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:49:25 am »
Firstly, thanks Nigel for posting this recipe and I apologise for not trying it sooner.  Delicious! Let us know what you think too, JM when you do it. Look under tips and tricks for my review and tweaking of this recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.