Author Topic: Chicken Kiev  (Read 83908 times)

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
Re: Chicken Kiev
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 11:20:22 am »
Anyone made kiev's with thigh fillets?
Have some in the fridge and seeing this thread as reminded me how much I love these (and need them!).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 11:40:47 am »
Can't see why thighs wouldn't work Zan, just defat them pretty well.  They should make very moist chicken kievs.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:18 am »
Sorry for the late response Zan. I'm guessing you have made them now but I only usually use the thighs. Like JD says - make sure you take off all the fat.

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2011, 11:05:17 am »
I've used thighs before and they worked well. Very moist and cheaper to buy too. I find though that they're harder to handle at the making stage and don't stay together as well.   
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36:01 am »
Thanks for this wonderful recipe.  It is definitely one to make in bulk.  I got a bit carried away with  the parsley so my garlic butter was bright green.  Looked and tasted wonderful still.  I did make the garlic butter in bulk and rolled it into a sausage shape before freezing it, and then sliced it when I needed it.  While my husband was telling my son to be careful when he cut it, he promptly squirted a whole lot of garlic butter on himself.  I was so tempted to lick it off - what a waste. 
The only things I did that was a bit different, was divide the mixture into six balls, and then I made a hole in each one, stuck the little frozen bit of garlic butter in and then joined the chicken mixture around it.  It was very quick and easy.  I was expecting it to be very sticky but it was not too bad at all.  I buy those food handling gloves from the supermarket in the 100 pack boxes and using the gloves helps alot. 
The fat content in this dish is very high so am looking at a few lower fat options like this one I found:
2 Tbsp ricotta cheese
225 g frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp finely chopped chives
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley

Mash ricotta with spinach, garlic, chives and parsley and use as required.
Not sure if it will taste any good.
Cheers,
Chris
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:24 am »
That's a great review Chris.  Well done! I must admit that I find them a bit time consuming and only make them every 6 weeks or so. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 06:07:13 am »
Chris what a lovely way to put the garlic butter in. I'll do that next time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 07:40:44 pm »
Made these for our supper today.Even though I egg and crumbed twice the garlic butter leaked but they still tasted great.Made six, cooked three and froze the others. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »
Made these again today but we preferred them with the adapted filling and there are so many to try even though its not really chicken kiev but an adapted version..I changed the filling and put garlic, chives, large green mild chilli, large handful of mushrooms and of course butter with a little lemon zest...whizzed up everything together except the butter (put that in last then mixed it to combine)...the rest of the recipe as is..did as chris did below and just made large balls, poked a hole and put in the butter rounds that i had put into the freezer for about 15 mins then just recovered well the butter with chicken mince mixture then crumbed as per the recipe making sure to well coat in both egg and crumbs (also added a little chilli salt to the crumbs)..was yum but ate too much as no dinner and I still feel full (was yum though)...would also be good with feta, lemon/lime zest i think...oh and camembert and cranberry sauce as another optional filling yum...so many options and flavours which also make it then not at all kiev but stuffed crumbed chicken ...  Im going to try to make these in mini for 'bites' for my sons party i think  :)  Definately easier to handle than the proper kievs (i usually end up with a whole lot of toothpicks to keep the chicken closed so the filling doesnt leek...lol µ...thaks again chelsea  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 12:24:38 pm »
Made these for dinner again last night. Haven't had them for quite some time and again they didn't disappoint. Not one leaked this time so that was a bonus.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:56 pm »
The first time we had these they were to die for. I have made them a few times since. I think next time I will play around with the filling just for something different. This is an easy recipe to change to suit peoples tastes.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »
Agreed dede. An easy one to adapt. Didn't have time to mess around this week but I'm going to have a go with mushrooms as suggested by Frozzie. You can never have enough mushrooms in my book.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »
We ate out today and I had a chicken breast fillet stuffed with haloumi & shredded ham - have never had haloumi before and it was lovely, not sickly or too rich like some melted cheeses.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:23 pm »
Mmm, that recipe has endless variation. Was a winner in our house also
Denise

Offline Honey joy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 01:09:52 am »
I made these for tea last night and can only repeat what has already been said-yum! I also made 6, cooked 3 and had 1 leak but I liked the way the leaked one helped add extra flavor to the crumbs of them all. Thanks for the concept.