Author Topic: New Gluten Free bread mix  (Read 5241 times)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
New Gluten Free bread mix
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:33:07 am »
Hi All,

Just wanted to let those that are gluten free that my sister has told me about a new gluten free bread mix. It is fantastic!! It rises, smells and cooks and even tastes like real bread!! Its called F.G. Roberts Cottage Bread Mix.
Go look at this site: www.glutenfreehealth.com.au/HomeBakers.htm

They sent me 2 x 200g sample bags of the mix. They make a small 400g loaf, but I just made one of the bags into rolls!! YUM!! they taste so good!! You can order straight from them, but you have to add postage to the price!! Apparently it comes in 1kg, 5kg and 12kg bags.
I whizzed my sample bag in the Thermomix and its great! The packet says to do it by hand, but why should we when we have such a fantastic machine to help us!!! My rolls were a bit pale on top, but after talking with my sister she told me to brush them with milk next time and it all browns nicely.
Just thought I'd pass on the great news!!!  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: New Gluten Free bread mix
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:15:41 am »
Thanks - might post a link on the Special diets section too.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »
My GS 12y has just been diagnosed with Coeliac and is a fussy eater.  I hunted down and finally found The Cottage Bread Mix at a health food shop   We made it today and thank goodness it was a marvellous success. He had 3 slices and pronouced   it was as good as the real thing.  High praise indeed! Thank you for the posting this.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:27 am »
KayC that is wonderful news for you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:18:08 am »
Thanks Terstoo, am waiting for my order to arrive to try it out.

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:59:08 am »
I've spoken to the developer of this bread mix. He was very nice and extremely helpful; spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me going through what to do and what not to do with the mix.
He is familiar with the Thermomix.
Here are his suggestions for getting the best out of your bread.

1. Use a very good quality yeast - he suggests a French or Dutch yeast. They sell this from their website but I have bought some elsewhere also. It's only a couple of dollars. Keep it in the freezer in an airtight container and it will last months.

2. It's really important to keep everything warm for the yeast. This includes the water you add (hand hot temp), pre warming the bowl (just by filling it with warm water then emptying it again) and the bench top that you are going to knead it out on! He suggested using a wooden cutting board as the wood doesn't get as cold as a bench top. If you are using the silicone mat, put it on a wooden board. Don't let the dough get cold. Prewarm your bread tin in the oven briefly before putting the dough in.

3. To rise, if it's not a warm day and there is nowhere to put the dough in a warm spot, turn the oven onto 180deg for 3 minutes then turn off and put the dough in. You can give it another burst if necessary (esp if your oven is not well insulated). It should triple in size before baking.

4. Use a proper bread baking tin.

There is lots of helpful info on their website as well and it's worth spending the time to go through it to get the best results.

Yes, this bread is great!!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:19:00 am »
thanks kylie for passing on all of that great info

i don't need a recipe i'm italian