Author Topic: Trifle recipe  (Read 15125 times)

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
Trifle recipe
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:45:47 am »
Never liked it as a kid but now as a "grown up " thought I would try one as this years xmas desert. Need to do a test run first.
 Anyone have a great recipe ?
Have any suggestions as to what cake recipe to use ( rather make that buy )

Thanks
Dee

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trifle recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:36 am »
Is there a trifle recipe in the 2013 TMX calendar?  Judy may be able to help you out here . . . :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:38:54 am »
Here's my tried and true trifle recipe. We have used this for years and Mum did before me. There are lots of more modern ones but we love this.
I buy a jam swiss roll. Or you could make a butter cake and spread it with jam. Cut into pieces and put into the bottom of a beautiful bowl. Drain the juice from a small tin of fruit in natural juice. Mix ½ glass sherry and ½ glass juice. Put over the cake and allow to soak in. Place fruit over it. Set 2 jellies (do earlier). I use red and green for Christmas. Put some of the jelly over the fruit. I use about ½ of each jelly. Spread cooled custard over the top. It is best made the day before. When it as all settled down I spread whipped cream over the top and either decorate with strawberries and kiwi fruit, toasted slivered almonds or anything you like.
You can use any fruit you like too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:57 am »
Here's my tried and true trifle recipe. We have used this for years and Mum did before me. There are lots of more modern ones but we love this.
I buy a jam swiss roll. Or you could make a butter cake and spread it with jam. Cut into pieces and put into the bottom of a beautiful bowl. Drain the juice from a small tin of fruit in natural juice. Mix ½ glass sherry and ½ glass juice. Put over the cake and allow to soak in. Place fruit over it. Set 2 jellies (do earlier). I use red and green for Christmas. Put some of the jelly over the fruit. I use about ½ of each jelly. Spread cooled custard over the top. It is best made the day before. When it as all settled down I spread whipped cream over the top and either decorate with strawberries and kiwi fruit, toasted slivered almonds or anything you like.
You can use any fruit you like too.

That's identical to the trifle I grew up with and the only sort of trifle I make. Love it!

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:26:38 am »
Lovely cookie.
Just as I remember but for me no sherry, it tastes like poison. LOL

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:27:02 am »
I grew up with that one too Cookie  :D

Marie

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:07 am »
Thank you for the recipe cookie, Trifle is on my menu too. Will try your recipe for sure ;D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 09:31:53 am »
That's our family recipe too,except I never add jelly and add lots of sherry, I have no idea why no jelly, but often think. maybe once mum or her mum forgot the jelly and its carried on from there  :o

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:40 am »
That's how these things develop Rainbow. :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 10:03:47 am »
There is a trifle in the 2012 calendar but unfortunately I didn't keep a copy for myself girls.

I found this non-thermomix recipe on a thermomix blog for a summer berry trifle which sounds nice.  I either do one like Cookie or my citrus meringue trifle.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
I do much the same as cookie, but pour the custard over the cake. I use the bought jam rolls, too. I set the jellies and fork it through, then tumble it on top and top off with toasted slivered almonds. Serve with cream and fruit.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:51 am »
Oh the Citrus meringue trifle sounds nice Judy, will go and have a look now :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:02:13 am »
Mums recipe is the same as cookies but she uses plain sponge cake not jam rolls. She makes it the day before and before serving puts banana slices on top of custard then whipped cream. When we were children she would make a second smaller trifle for us that used cola instead of sherry and I still like this better than the sherry ones.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »
MJ I have always 'forked' the jelly too, simply because Mum always did. Maybe it is a country thing.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:47 pm »
My trifle recipe also much the same as cookie but I prefer those crisp sponge fingers rather than the Swiss roll.  I also like to make mine in individual glasses.

Making trifle always reminds me of being a kid and helping mum and always being allowed to eat one of the jelly cubes.  Still get excited when I see jelly in cubes as in Australia all I have ever seen is crystal jelly.