Author Topic: Supermarket angst  (Read 15567 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Supermarket angst
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 05:51:39 am »
Plain brand canned tomatoes don't have the nasties that the name brands do. (Cookie taught me that   :))

Now what about the price of soda water?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 05:58:43 am »
I agree about the tomatoes. Often  they are tastier too. Now that tomatoes are cheaper we won't  be using so many canned ones which is even better.

Why as the cost of Schweppes gone up so much!.  It is almost cheaper to drink a bottle of Yellow than a few scotch and sodas.

Gert
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:24:37 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:27 am »
I bought a soda stream
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:49 am »
I've started growing my own tomatoes and have a soda stream on my second one as couldn't get gas bottles to fit the old one.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 07:33:38 am »
Now you're making your own ice cream as well in your new machine, you'll have the supermarkets knocking on your door asking where you've been lately Jen

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 07:38:43 am »
I'll have to buy a cow and some chooks then I will be set lol

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 10:14:28 am »
What nasties are in canned tomatoes?

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:59 am »
I've started growing my own tomatoes and have a soda stream on my second one as couldn't get gas bottles to fit the old one.

That's strange you mention the soda stream gas bottles as I just bought a new bottle last week and it doesn't fit. First one we have replaced for awhile. DH drinks soda water most of the time. They must change the size of bottles on new machines so we have to replace the machine.  >:(

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
What nasties are in canned tomatoes?
Next time you're in the supermarket pick up a few different cans. Tomatoes aren't tomatoes if there's not one or two extra additives. Why should we even have to look?

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

That's strange you mention the soda stream gas bottles as I just bought a new bottle last week and it doesn't fit. First one we have replaced for awhile. DH drinks soda water most of the time. They must change the size of bottles on new machines so we have to replace the machine.  >:(

You can still get the smaller gas bottles at Big w. well you could a few months ago,

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:12 pm »
Thanks Jen will have a look at Big W. I got mine at KMart and didn't have the empty one with me so bought a new one but it is skinny compared to the old one and the top is different so it doesn't connect after screwing into the machine.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
MF I think the new soda stream bottles are 60 litres whereas the others were 40 litres.  Woolworths supermarkets have both size refills here.  On one of our machines you could cut out the bottom section of the part where the gas bottle goes to take the new size.  I emailed them and told them the model no of the machine we had and they told us what to do to take the new size gas bottle. 

Marie

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »
I have heaps of tomatoes in my vege garden
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 10:05:12 pm »
My naughty DH gave my soda stream away when he was in one of his cleaning-out moods!   >:(
There have been some good specials coming up on new ones lately, so might have to get one just to annoy him.  But we do drink mainly plain water and I don't want the kids asking for fizz all the time. 

There are some store brand items that I really love, but some things don't quite measure up for me...spaghetti is one that springs to mind although I rarely buy it anyway. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 10:31:16 pm »
MF I think the new soda stream bottles are 60 litres whereas the others were 40 litres.  Woolworths supermarkets have both size refills here.  On one of our machines you could cut out the bottom section of the part where the gas bottle goes to take the new size.  I emailed them and told them the model no of the machine we had and they told us what to do to take the new size gas bottle. 

Marie

Thanks Marie I will check out Woolies today  :)