Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6159402 times)

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #19170 on: January 29, 2016, 05:31:23 am »
Wasted most of the day singing on Smule on my iPad. I'm loving my children being back at school. I should get on with all the things I'm meant to be doing, including applying for more jobs.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: January 29, 2016, 10:35:58 am »
Chookie, you are so organised packing your cookbooks in alphabetical order. DH packed mine when I was out shopping. The boxes are marked cookbooks but that's as fancy as it gets here. Lol

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19172 on: January 29, 2016, 11:47:13 am »
I bet there are a few boxes too Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19173 on: January 30, 2016, 09:58:38 am »
Chookie, you are so organised packing your cookbooks in alphabetical order. DH packed mine when I was out shopping. The boxes are marked cookbooks but that's as fancy as it gets here. Lol
No Kat, just lazy. Don't want to have to do it at the other end.
Judy, I think I will probably have about 50 boxes of cooking books.  Then there is the rest of the library. We will have to put up more shelves. I have been giving my Art books to a young friend who is going to teach art.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: January 30, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
That's nice Chookie, best to cull before you move than afterwards.

Today I've continued with my spring cleaning.  This morning I cleaned some fans, some air conditioning vents and the glass on several pictures before visiting the nursing home.  Home about 3 o'clock and straight into the show cabinet, it's been over a year since I cleaned all the glasses, crystal etc.  I did well this time, I broke 4 pieces - that's a record for me, I usually break something but never this many pieces.  So a few sets of glasses and dessert sets are now sets of 5 LOL. Another job out of the way. 

I'm not a sentimental person but it's like going down memory lane when I do this job.  There's a toast rack given by the army to my Grandparents when they married, the very first things I bought for my 'glory box' (there is probably no such thing these days), there's still a full set of 6 gorgeous glasses given as an engagement present way back in 1963 and another set given to us by DD1 when Geoff and I became engaged in 1986.  How about these gorgeous little condiment thingies which were given to Geoff's Grandmother when she was a young girl housekeeping for a German lady.  I handled them with kid gloves.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: January 30, 2016, 11:15:39 am »
They are beautiful Judy. I have a lot of Mum's crystal etc and some pieces that were my Dad's mums. Nothing valuable as they were quite poor. But of great sentimental value.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19176 on: January 30, 2016, 11:54:05 am »
Thanks cookie.  I find kids of today aren't particularly interested in crystal so goodness knows what will happen with mine.  Many years ago I gave Jo the very first thing I bought myself at 16 years of age, a crystal water set.  The 53 year old glasses could now be used for cocktails, the shape is pretty well the same but I don't know if she's used them or not.
I have a beautiful footed cut crystal bowl which was given to me when I left work to have DD1 so that will definitely go to her, that will be 50 years old this year.  I might just give it to her as part of her 50th for a laugh. My, how the years fly!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19177 on: January 30, 2016, 04:34:35 pm »
Beautiful condiment pieces Judy.I can see why you handle them with care ;)
We have a few bits and pieces of sentimental value.When in Venice many years ago we bought six Murano Glass champagne flutes.They are used if we crack open a bottle of fizz. :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19178 on: January 30, 2016, 07:54:28 pm »
Judy, what lovely memories. I like to use the Good stuff. I have the 2 lace doilies that you made , On bedroom side tables. When CC stayed , she gave us a beautiful hand made bowl.  I love it but only use it on special occasions as I am afraid I might break it. Marina gave us a lovely hand made teapot stand.  Far too nice to place a teapot on. It has black faced sheep just like the ones we saw in Scotland and also around here.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: January 30, 2016, 10:29:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing your snippets girls, I love hearing stories like this.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: January 30, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »
My dear mother was not a very sentimental person and I guess it has rubbed off on me. She did have some lovely bone china cup,plate & saucer sets which have been divided up between myself and 3 sisters.
Now that we are down sizing and culling I now know I want as little as possible in the new place (I dislike clutter).
The one thing I have that I do wear always is my darling Grandmothers gold wedding ring. I have such warm beautiful memories of her patience, kindness and giving nature. She taught me to sew, knit & embroider at a very young age and I will be eternally grateful for that as I have always enjoyed doing these things throughout my life. I remember her old wood stove and the beautiful apple pies & custard she made.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #19181 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:18 pm »
Judy, that condiment set is gorgeous.

Like many people, we too have lots of things passed down through families.  I have a gorgeous crystal water jug but the handle is starting to come away from the side of the jug so I cannot use it (does anyone know of anyone that can repair crystal?).

I have an " Old English Roses" tea set which was a wedding present that I have never used as well.  What a shame.

Chookie, that teapot stand was made to be used!  I have a couple and they are always under one thing or another.  They wee thrown at DH's cousin's pottery in Lochinver in the Scottish Highlands and always remind us of back home.

Today I am having a great cooking day as the weather is way too wet to go outside - having said that, I m loving listening to the rain.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: January 31, 2016, 04:47:38 am »
I have just had my nails done, swapped for me doing a massage :)

feels good as I got a work 0ut too.
cleaning and about to start cooking now.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: January 31, 2016, 05:45:55 am »
A good swap Robyn, I've paid up to $80 for a manicure for something special - very rarely though at that price!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19184 on: January 31, 2016, 07:18:34 am »
It is beautiful and cool here today. Quite windy too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/