Author Topic: Our pets with photos  (Read 559914 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: Our pets with photos
« Reply #1485 on: August 18, 2014, 05:43:54 am »
My 12 year old Maltese shitzu is suddenly weeing inside the house at night - even though I take her out last thing at night. This is something new. My vet gave her antibiotics in case it was UTI but that did not have any effect what so ever.

Have any of you encountered this problem? what are some of the solutions? It is driving me crazy! My DH once slipped and fell and has sprained his finger and has the most hideous bruises as a result of this.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:05 am »
Yes Courton I did have this problem with my dear old Elvis Jack Russell. He had Dogzhimers and did not know where he was. Poor puppy he just didn't mean to but... Luckily we have a tile floor so it was not so much of a problem .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: August 18, 2014, 08:49:54 am »
Courton I can imagine how annoying it is for you. Gert Dogzhimers, what a lovely word and description. I spoke to a recently widowed friend yesterday and she was saying her chiuwowa (I cant spell it) who is 15 is now totally deaf. Very healthy otherwise.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1488 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:07 am »
i rang Purina helpline (did you know they have pet care lines?), and they suggested that I wash the floors with biozet and hot water to get rid of any smell. I used a $20 urine spray but she said it may not be working. But that is about getting rid of the smell I don't think it is going to change my dog's behaviour.

She does not appear to have dementia.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:12 am »
Perhaps a a Urine Test might pinpoint the problem Courton. A friend's Spaniel had these symptoms and she had kidney disease.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #1490 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:36 am »
Yes, if none of the other options work, I may have to go down that lane.

Did your friend find a solution to the kidney disease problem and was it slow downward spiral?

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:59 am »
Hi Courton,
Our shitzu Maltese also started to have accidents around that age. I also put it down to old age/dogzheimers as she had always lasted all night without needing to go out. I tried to circumvent it by getting up to let her out as soon as I heard her sniffing about. It was like having a baby in the house again and being hyper alert to any noise!

When she "suddenly" became ill and I took her to the vet, he said she was in advanced heart failure, which would have been affecting her for some time but that it often goes unnoticed until the animal gets to crisis point. He pointed out that you wouldn't necessarily notice that a dog who already dozes for 19 hours a day, starts snoozing for an extra hour!
Our dog hadn't been to the vet for almost a year as her vaccinations were nearly due again when she died, and there had been no sign of heart problems at her previous visit, but her condition must have started within the next few months. If it had been picked up, she could have started medication to treat it. I wonder if this was part of her not being able to hold on, with all the extra fluid that is produced with heart failure, but if you have been to the vet they would obviously have checked an elderly dog for age related problems, but it might be worth an extra visit to make sure.

Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: August 18, 2014, 09:47:48 am »
Yes, if none of the other options work, I may have to go down that lane.

Did your friend find a solution to the kidney disease problem and was it slow downward spiral?

Unfortunately the was no cure and she died. 
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: August 18, 2014, 10:41:46 am »
As CC said a urine test may help pinpoint the cause.  A lady I know bought some doggie pants for her elderly dog to wear of a night.  I think she got them from a pet store.  Don't know whether they would help with your problem or not. 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: August 18, 2014, 11:20:28 am »
I haven't posted a photo of my little puppies - the Terrible Twins. Gracie and Peanut are a bit of a handful but they do make me laugh when they're not chewing on something. My son took them for a walk and Gracie got a bit hot but she knows how to cool off quick. they are Jackroodles and 6 months old.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:54 am »
Cute photos of the Twins CP especially Gracie cooling off :D :D :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:33 am »
They're sweet CP.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »
You can certainly cheeky Jacks and smart .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 18, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »
They are so cute CP, and a handful I'm sure.

I hope your vet can find out what is causing the problem Courton.
I have to get up once or twice each night to let our 15 year old Jack Russell Chihuahua cross out to go to the toilet. Luckily she hasn't started going inside (yet).
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 18, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
Cute puppies CP, looks like they will keep you busy.  It's great having 2, double the mischief but they can amuse each other.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.