Author Topic: Mashed potato and veggies  (Read 14439 times)

Offline margi191

• View Profile
Mashed potato and veggies
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
I would like to cook mashed potatoes and steam veggies at the same time?  Is this possible, I have been trying but havent been very successful. Potato cooked but veggies in veroma undercooked. Any suggestions?

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Mashed potato and veggies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:04 am »
It could be a number of things Margi....

Are you cooking the potatoes at Varoma temperature or 100?   It needs Varoma to produce enough steam to cook the veg

It may be that the vegetables are not cut sufficiently small for the time you are steaming them - if you do them on top of rice, it cooks for longer so the veg have more of a chance.   You could, if you prefer bigger bits of veg, either cut your potatoes into bigger cubes, or remove the potatoes and allow the veg to cook for longer.

Are you leaving enough space between the veg to allow the steam to circulate?

Hope this helps

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:21 am »
Hi Margi,
This is how I do it... 1kg potatoes, 200g milk (I use rice-almond milk), 200g water; veges on top in Varoma (sliced nice & thin); cook at Varoma temp, 20 mins, speed 1. If the veges on top need longer, you can usually go another 5 mins on Varoma without it sticking.
Jo  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline margi191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:09 am »
THankyou Katya and Jo
Tonight I used frozen veggies in the varoma and cut potato smallish.  I used the veroma setting. Potatoes were cooked, veggies were not frozen but they were still a bit cool.  I think next time I will try, as you suggested to cut potatoes larger and cook longer.  I also put frozen veg in the deeper varoma tray and they may have been too close so next time I will use the flatter tray.
Have only had my tm for 2 weeks so I have lots to learn!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:16 am »
I always just use the large tray for this - I don't bother with the flat one.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline deannemanson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:35:04 am »
Hi, I am also having this problem and am new to the TM world :)
Having already tried all the above comments, tonight I simply placed a tea towel over the Varoma to trap the steam in... seems to have cooked through a little better.  I know this isn't a permanent solution, so let me know when something better comes along :)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:11 am »
Hi deannemanson. Welcome to the forum.

I cook mash and veg in the thermie quite often. It does take a few goes to get it right so perservere. It's really worth it.

I follow Quirky Cooking's method:
Weigh 1kg of cubed potato into the bowl.  Add 200g water + 200g milk (I use rice milk).  Place Varoma on top of lid, filled with veges that are thinly sliced for steaming, and cook on Varoma temp for 20 mins, speed 1.
- Remove Varoma (setting it on it's lid to catch drips), remove lid, and push butterfly into potatoes on the blade.  Add butter or olive oil and salt & pepper to season, and mash for 20 seconds on speed 4.

Easy!  We like the potato done like this as it gets a nice flavour from the vege juices.

I usually end up doing Varoma temp, 25 minutes, speed 2 1 and not bothering with the butterfly to mash.

But others do it differently as discussed here:
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6238.0

Try whichever method appeals to you and let us know how you go  :)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:41:37 am by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:57:50 am »
Welcome deannemanson. It pays to make sure that you always have space for the steam to come up into the varoma.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 07:27:09 am »
Vegies should cook in that time. What quantity of vegies are you using and is there a decent gap in the varoma dish to allow the steam to come through? Hope you get it sorted and well done for using your varoma so quickly.  :)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:11:46 am »
How many are you trying to cook potatoes for?  I tend to simply put my cut potatoes in the rice basket, water in the TM bowl & veggies on the top in the varoma dish, steam all for 16-20 mins depending upon quantitiy & type of veggies & then put the non potato veggies in the thermoserver while I mash the pots.  I can do enough mash for 3 adults or 4 with smaller serves (which we should be doing anyway lol!) that way.  That's what I term the "everyday" mash vs the extremely rich version in the EDC.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 11:47:55 am »
Thanks Janeezee

I used your method tonight and it worked really well.  Great "everyday" mash and so easy to cook the vegies too.  Don't use the varoma nearly enough, so thanks again.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:08 am »
That's the way I do it too JZ - soon tired of the rich EDC method with cheese and wanted to go back to basic mashed potato with less calories plus a bowl that was easier to clean.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.