Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4522222 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #13815 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:09 am »
Went to buy a new remote for my Samsung and came home with a new Samsung Ultra High Definition TV which is wonderful.  the Good Guys told me the prices of a new TV is going up by 50%. Paid $998. New model will be around $1500 or more.

It is connected to the Browser by way of WiFi and Samsung apps are fantastic. I will spend many hours playing and finding out all the Smart features. Figured I may as well have a new toy. Yeah well ok my pasta maker is a new toy but that was last week!

I am ALMOST tempted to get a Samsung tablet to go,with the TV! NOOOOOOOOO!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: April 20, 2015, 09:38:52 am »

I am ALMOST tempted to get a Samsung tablet to go,with the TV! NOOOOOOOOO!

Gert

Congratulations on your new toy.  DH is a real computer Luddite, but we got him a Samsung tablet a couple of weeks ago and he LOOOOVVVES it!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: April 20, 2015, 10:20:03 am »
Enjoy your new toy Gert; did you get the Samsung recorder to go with it so you can record the shows you don't want to miss (not that there will be many these days; they don't have a tmx cooking show yet).  We got a new one a few months ago because the old one broke after about 30 years - we cant work most of it though.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: April 20, 2015, 10:26:19 am »
Gert, enjoy your new toy.  Tell me, why do most people buy an iPad when the Samsung tablet is so much cheaper.  Does one do so much more than the other?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

*suzanne*

« Reply #13819 on: April 20, 2015, 10:32:33 am »
After having owned both Judy, we found the after sales help much better with apple.
Nice buy gert, enjoy I love our smart TV

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:32 am »
Enjoy your new telly Gert. :)

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13:29 am »
Gert, enjoy your new toy.  Tell me, why do most people buy an iPad when the Samsung tablet is so much cheaper.  Does one do so much more than the other?

Hey Judydawn,

After owning both and sadly lots of both I see the pro's and cons of both. If you already have an Apple setup, ie iMac (of any sort), iPhone/ iPod/iPad and have lots of things on iTunes etc and cant or aren't interested in breaking from that formula then I would stick with Apple products. In doing so you are also (unfortunately) resigning yourself to paying incredibly over inflated prices which quite frankly are not commensurate with the quality of the product. That said, Apple do have (for the most part) a strong after sales service.

The other side of the equation is Android (lets use Samsung as an example).

They are considerably cheaper and have a considerably quicker product turnover. This is good and bad. Good in so much as they update and progress their technologies quickly. Great for a geek like me and bad for a too if you have magpie tendencies (like me) and like shiny new kit.

Android is considerably more 'open' in how it deals with media (music, pictures, films etc) thus the consumer isn't dictated to by a single company (Apple in this case) by forcing everything through iTunes.

For those technical individuals out there I am well aware that Apple products etc can be 'set free' (Jailbroken) etc but I have chose to answer Judy on a level playing field basis.

In short (if I can still claim that), its totally down to the individual but do your homework and don't buy into anybody's hype regards their product and how much better it is over the competition. For me I am very much an Apple computer person (who chooses to run Windows via a virtual machine when I need Windows), and ANDROID for everything else. That includes my telephone and multiple (ashamedly) tablet devices.

As I have offered before, if I can help anyone with IT questions / troubles then by all means drop me a pm.

TTFN

RC

ps - Gert, don't think your Samsung purchase passed without me seeing it.........Good to see you are turning to the 'light side of the force'  ;D
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #13822 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:01 am »
Gert the TV sounds rather nice. Well done.

My shopping is rather boring compared to a new TV, but it is something I wanted.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:47:45 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »
 I am an Apple Fan just because they are beautiful and ALWAYS work. Having said that I do have two Windows computers as well as my iMac, three iPads,an iPhone and an Apple TV but I am not opposed to getting a Samsung tablet just for fun. Not skiting as these were acquired over years due to upgrades and such like. I like techie toys. It is my hobby and I enjoy it. I have bought and sold other Apple devices. Also used them to barter.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:05 pm »
We are an Android family too RC. I knew DH loved me when he bought me an Apple iPad mini (after hints from me) for Christmas, it must have been a difficult purchase!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: April 20, 2015, 12:39:36 pm »
Thanks RC, most of it went over my head and I think perhaps one should stick with what one knows - in this case the Apple iPad. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: April 20, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »
A great buy Gert 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: April 20, 2015, 02:07:49 pm »
I usually buy everything Sony as my SIL works for Sony and we get things at a discounted price.
I have a Samsung tablet and find it easy to use as I have my DH and DS as technical back-up.  :D
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: April 20, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »
Tablet could be next weeks gadget Gert.
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:16 pm »
Denise  there are enough gadgets on this very smart TV to keep me engaged for months. It even has a laser like thingy in the remote that allows you to use the inbuilt keyboard.  There are a lot of apps I have never heard or sought of course my favourite at the moment is Netflix. I am ultra happy it is here and will give FOXTEL a bit of much needed competition.mthere is also 2 apps for FOXTEL one being sport which I think you can buy by the month or event so I will check that out and see if I can get the Ashes later this year. It is not often you buy a new TV so I am impressed with the upgrade and I have already sold my old TV so very happy.

Gert