Author Topic: What was the first thing you ever made in the THX?  (Read 43702 times)

Offline René

• View Profile
Re: What was the first thing you ever made in the THX?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »
Hi,

Great topic :)

My first was the Creme Brulé (which was a failure, far too runny) - the next was a perfect Risotto

The most funny thing was a danish dish of meatballs with rice and curry sauce - where everything was made in the THX.

Mostly I use it for Creme Anglaise for Ice Cream (on my PacoJet)

/René
Denmark
Kind regards,
René
Denmark

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:06 am »
I used my sister's Tmix before I bought mine and made the batter for an orange cake. I was flabbergasted by it! :D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:38 pm »
Congratulations! I used mine sooo much the first few days that my DH got jealous!  ::) ::) ::)
He still is a little! ::) ::) ::) He wishes that I was as passionate about him as I am for my THX!

LOL!!! All too true bron!  In the end at least the TM does what you want it to and doesn't answer back! LOL   ;) :D ;D

LOL -  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D - my better half still gets upset when she realises that I have concocted a dish to publish.

It used to be just 'coz I love her - now when she sees the camera -  >:( >:( >:( >:(

LOL!!! They are funny aren't they!   ::) ::) ::

It's silly how if we slaved all day in the kitchen over the stove and oven, then spent an hour cleaning up all the dishes they wouldn't be jealous, but because we enjoy using the Thermomix then its a different story.... As long as you're happy I say!!   ;D

And thank goodness I don't have to deal with that anymore!!  ;) :D :D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 01:23:05 am »

It's silly how if we slaved all day in the kitchen over the stove and oven, then spent an hour cleaning up all the dishes they wouldn't be jealous, but because we enjoy using the Thermomix then its a different story.... As long as you're happy I say!!   ;D

And thank goodness I don't have to deal with that anymore!!  ;) :D :D

Yeah !!!!!  I used to spend all Sunday making little treats in the kitchen and it was greatly appreciated and never any grumbling.

Now, its "OH THAT LOOKS supe....... Oh I bet you made it for that bl**dy Bimby thing !!!!" 

Still appreciates it but, there's the underlying tones of "Loook at mooiee, Loook at mooiee". " I was here first"  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 02:09:23 am »
 ;D >:( ;D >:(

ROFLOL!!!

;D ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:35 am »
This one was started when I was away so I missed it and only found it today.  Interesting reading - great topic!
I list the recipes I do at the back of the everyday cookbook as I find it easier to find then again - does anyone else have trouble finding recipes in that book or is it just me?.  My first few efforts (not all successfull I might add) were sorbet, potato cakes, mashed potato, custard, porridge, apricot chicken risotto, pumpkin soup, mayonnaise, coleslaw, veg stock concentrate and many more since the early days.  Been a great journey and getting better by the day thanks to this wonderful forum.  My daughter did more in hers in the early days as she was on holidays but now my efforts far exceed hers and I am able to give her advice rather than the other way round.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 04:12:41 am »
Glad you found it Judy :)

Well I still haven't had a day without using the TM, and even just this morning I have used it to help me make pastry, quiche filling and soon, minestrone.

I don't think I have had a failure yet, apart from once when I read a recipe wrong and made something more like dry biscuit batter rather than porridge.

I sometimes have trouble finding the recipes too, especially the bolognese sauce for some reason.
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 05:04:03 am »
I think the book should have side tabs to make it easier to find categories.  Let's know how the soup turns out (is it the one from the everyday book?) as I know someone who made it and said it was lacking taste.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:14 am »
the book is shocking for finding anything in , the 'spine' makes it really difficult
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 06:44:00 am »
This one was started when I was away so I missed it and only found it today.  Interesting reading - great topic!
I list the recipes I do at the back of the everyday cookbook as I find it easier to find then again - does anyone else have trouble finding recipes in that book or is it just me?.  My first few efforts (not all successfull I might add) were sorbet, potato cakes, mashed potato, custard, porridge, apricot chicken risotto, pumpkin soup, mayonnaise, coleslaw, veg stock concentrate and many more since the early days.  Been a great journey and getting better by the day thanks to this wonderful forum.  My daughter did more in hers in the early days as she was on holidays but now my efforts far exceed hers and I am able to give her advice rather than the other way round.

The original Australian book is truly appalling - very badly compiled, badly indexed & with poorly tested recipes.
The second one is better, bit still needs help.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 08:13:08 am »
I must agree that the Everyday book is hard to find things in. The more I use it, it seems to improve. I have now taken to putting little 'post it' tabs on the things I make frequently. They get very tattered looking but who cares?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 06:15:38 am »
I think the book should have side tabs to make it easier to find categories.  Let's know how the soup turns out (is it the one from the everyday book?) as I know someone who made it and said it was lacking taste.

The soup was pretty tasty. I changed up the recipe a tiny bit and used half chicken stock and half water, and because I added a few too many vegies didn't use the full amount of water either so it was more like stew.

I like the idea of little tabs or flags. Is the first edition spiral bound?
Row

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 07:12:55 am »
The chicken stock would have boosted the flavour for sure.  Will try it this winter.
All my TMX books (except Full Steam Ahead which is a proper recipe book) are spiral bound - must be the cheapest way of doing them. Don't know if my everyday book is the first edition though - TMX was here in Australia for quite a while before I even heard of it, let alone buy one.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 10:43:10 am »
The first thing I made was a Chocolate Guiness cake from the UK Thermomix website. 

I have since done a mushroom risotto, pea and lettuce soup and hollandaise sauce.  I'm a bit hampered as my car is out of action so I can't get to the shops, but as soon as I can, I will be baking bread.

I have the UK cookbook and was wondering whether people had other Thermomix cookery books which they would recommend?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:30 pm »
I have the Aust Every Day cookbook that came with the machine, the seafood bounty book, GF book and vegetarian books seen on this page http://www.thermomix.com.au/01-cookbooks.html

The vegetarian has good recipes that have been well tested (I believe), the new Everyday cookbook is better than the one I have, but apparently still needs some work.

Do you speak any other languages?  Spanish, Italian, French, German ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.