Author Topic: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato  (Read 50781 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:52:49 am »
Name of Recipe: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato
Number of People: Approx 6
Ingredients:
1.2kg chicken thighs (I used de-boned and skinless)
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
500g sweet potato, peeled and chopped (if medium into 8 pieces)
1/2 tablespoon veggie stock concentrate
1/2 cup water 200g has been suggested as a better option
1 x 400g can of crushed tomatoes

Preparation:
1/ Mix olive oil, chilli flakes, sweet paprika, cumin and coriander together.
2/ Toss chicken in oil mixture to coat.
3/ Layer chicken and sweet potato in Varoma, leaving enough space in the base for steam to move through the Varoma.
4/ In the bowl add the veggie stock concentrate, water and crushed tomatoes.
5/ Cook for 45 minutes, speed 1 at Varoma Temp.
6/ When cooked place chicken and sweet potato in Thermo server and pour over the tomato sauce.

Serve with TM Steamed Rice and Vegies.

This modified recipe is based on Donna Hay's Braised Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe.
Don't be tempted to bake this one in the oven. I did last night - and comparing flavours, the TMX flavours are far, far superior!

Tips/Hints:
This recipe could easily be stretched to feed a few more mouths and more chicken could be placed in the Varoma.

members' comments

JD - This is an excellent meal, low fat too.  I substituted the chicken thighs with skinned and partly deboned chicken marylands (cut in half at the joint) for a much cheaper meal.  The cooking time was still perfect.  I think I will double the sauce next time though as I am a real sauce lover and even if it is too much,  the excess can be frozen for something else. Seasoning was perfect.

Chelsea - This was so yummy!  10/10 without a doubt.  I had to leave the chilli out completely because of DH's tummy ulcers but it was still very tasty. I cut the chicken thighs in half and that worked well. It does need a bit more water, I use 200g. I used 700g of chicken and 500g of sweet potato and placed them all in the bottom of the varoma (leaving spaces for the steam to come through).  With 10 minutes to go I added the top varoma tray with trimmed green beans.  After I put the chicken, sweet potato and sauce in the thermoserve I put down a piece of foil and sat the green beans on top to keep them warm while I steamed the rice. Very easy and delicious.  Thanks Jolene! 

CP - Cut all the pieces and arranged on two pieces of the Varoma trays with sweet potatoes interlocking.
Beautiful meal ILB.  Damn delicious is what I will say. Microwaved peas and corn on the side but you can have whatever vegies you like, you just need something else otherwise you may be looking around your plate for more. No big complaints at all. Give it 9.5 out of 10.

Meagan - went down well and I will be making it again. We had it with extra steamed veg and brown rice, very yummy.

KerrynN - It is fantastic! We followed the tweaks that Chelsea recommended and it was delicious! No-one was particularly thrilled with the sweet potato but everything else was really yummy! Definitely going to be on the menu again.

nola276 - it was fabulous.  Will make it a regular for sure.  Hubby had it on Garlic Rice.

Tasty - I love how this recipe is an all-in-one!! The chicken was tender and moist, as were the sweet potatoes. I found I needed to add a lot more of the spices as the amounts written weren't sufficient. Having said that, I would definitely make this recipe again as it's a set and forget. So easy!!

Jimrmills - it is honestly the best thing I have made in the thermomix. I made it just for me with left overs so used 600g chicken thigh and used pumpkin instead of sweet potato because that's all I had. I also only cooked it for 25 minutes with the lesser chicken. I cut the thickest piece in half, it was definitely cooked through and oh so tender.

cookie - This is really nice.

Bec 77 - it was so yummy!! Didn't have any sweet potato so I used pumpkin instead and it turned out fine.  Also took the advice of adding a bit more water and had no problems with the sauce burning on the bottom.  Thank-you, it was delicious.

kt2 - We had this last weekend and enjoyed it as always! 

rainbow - I chopped chicken up a bit more, cooked it for 20 mins varoma and then added some broccoli for 5 mins varoma, served with jacket potato, I would leave the chicken in bigger pieces next time but an enjoyable meal.

kezza -I 've made this quite a few times after reading it in CP's recipe book - a winner every time. 

classmyth - This was so good! My very fussy 3 yr old was stuffing it into his mouth until he could barely chew!! Will definitely add this to our favourites!

fertilemertile - Lovely dish! Both my fussy DS5 and DS3 loved it so definitely a winner in this house! Will be making this a staple dish for sure. Thanks for sharing.

JuliaC83 - Made this for dinner tonight, easy and tasty.

Frozzie - Yum. Had it with rice. Quite tasty.

Tam - Cooked rice first and popped in thermoserver while the rest cooked.  Used speed 2 to avoid any sticking.  My thighs were cooked after 30 mins, placed greens in the top tray for the last 10 mins.  I didn't have any sweet potato so used a combination of potato and pumpkin. We all enjoyed it.

troupie - it turned out a winner. I made the recipe without chilli and put some spinach leaves in the thermo server then added the chicken and sauce followed by spaghetti I had cooked in a saucepan. I broke the spaghetti into 3 pieces and when cooked stirred it through the chicken in the thermo server. I will make this recipe again and again.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:28:35 am by judydawn »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:57:20 am »
Nice work - love ideas using sauce cooking below the main ingreds steaming in Varoma.

The combination sounds good too !!  Similar to a Moroccan pumpkin and sweet potato dish that I stilllllllllll haven't written up. :-[ :-[
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »
I love chicken recipes I Love Bimby so have printed this one out to try.  Can you tell me just how spicy it is - eg suitable for children.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:03 am »
oooh yum!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:19:43 am »
I love chicken recipes I Love Bimby so have printed this one out to try.  Can you tell me just how spicy it is - eg suitable for children.

Hi Judydawn,

It's not very spicy - Miss 3 eats it fine, but if you're not sure perhaps cut the chilli flakes back to half for the first run.

I found that in the Thermomix the flavours go further than when it was baked in the oven. 

The original recipe called for 1.6kg of chicken which I felt was just too much for the Varoma and is a huge quantity.  If you were to try the original quantity then I would imagine the flavour wouldn't be as strong as it has to stretch further.

Hope that helps.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:18 am »
Yes thanks, if Miss 3 eats it then I expect anyone would like it!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:38:17 am »
i am going to try making it either tonight or tomorrow :)

1.6kg chicken, wow! we usually only eat about a third of that in a meal lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:45:29 am »
I am making this one as we speak but using 3 chicken marylands skinned and some scraggy bits of bone removed - I have 6 pieces - plenty for 3-4 people I would think.  Will report back after tea tonight.  Chicken marylands cost only $1 each here so it is a really cheap meal and I'm hoping the recipe turns out as well as using thigh fillets would.

Review - This is an excellent meal, low fat too.  I substituted the chicken thighs with skinned and partly deboned chicken marylands (cut in half at the joint) for a much cheaper meal.  The cooking time was still perfect.  I think I will double the sauce next time though as I am a real sauce lover and even if it is too much,  the excess can be frozen for something else. Seasoning was perfect.

5/5 from me and DH
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:01:49 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:45:28 am »
Chicken Marylands for $1 - niiiice!  Sure they'll do just fine.  Reminds me of another recipe for stuffed Marylands that needs to be committed to print  :-[ :-[ :-[
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:13 am »
I agree 1.6kg is huge!  But was good when I used to have to cater for the medical team at Mt Hotham over winter when it was XH's turn to cook.  We would feed up to 16 people some nights - so such a large recipe was great. 

Now I make half the quantity and still freeze meals for those after-work and can't be bothered cooking nights.

Wow - $1 each?!?! That's a bargin!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 02:06:16 pm »
Don't be tempted to bake this one in the oven. I did last night - and comparing flavours the TMX flavours are far, far superior!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »
Guess you know my thoughts on cooking in the Varoma - much moister and easier to eat.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 03:06:15 pm »
Well I was trying to be a smartie pants and save some time by cooking the chicken in the oven then cook the rice and vegies in the tmx. Didn't work. It took much longer to cook in the oven!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:06:07 am »
This sounds delicious. I too love recipes that have the sauce in the bowl. Makes things easy and impressive. A....N......D sweet potato is low GI.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 04:52:26 am »
I am just getting organised to make this tonight.  Am I right in thinking that I don't slice up the chicken thighs?  :)